The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
My Partially finished Bass Traps!
Old 17th May 2009
Gear Head

My Partially finished Bass Traps now with PVC stand that I made.

I just have to buy the mineral wool now!

Picasa Web Albums - David - Bass Traps Stand

Last edited by David A. Batson; 17th May 2009 at 01:21 AM.. Reason: correction
Old 17th May 2009
Lives for gear

You could put in the corners to check the "fabric+air gap effect" (sorry,just kidding - altough I guess something could happen)heh

Picture looks little on my notebook, seems you have frames for 2" panels only (but I can be wrong...)

Good luck/job!

Ciro
Old 17th May 2009
Gear Head

It's suppose to be 1"x4".
Old 18th May 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A. Batson View Post
I just have to buy the mineral wool now!
What fabric did you use for the white panels?
Old 18th May 2009
Gear Head

It is Burlap that I purchased from Joanne's Fabrics. Very cheap
Old 18th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nice!

Do you have any close-up shots of your traps / fabric? (I am planning to head over to Joanne's this week.)

The Joanne's burlap... how does it come in terms of size / dimensions?
Old 18th May 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Cool. I'm gonna have to track down some white burlap up here in Canada.
Old 18th May 2009
Gear Addict

if you find some, let me know! i'm looking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB872 View Post
Cool. I'm gonna have to track down some white burlap up here in Canada.
Old 18th May 2009
Gear Guru

great job!!!!
Old 18th May 2009
Gear Head

Thanks Glenn for the kind compliment.
Old 18th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the pic, but for some reason, it is showing up in my browser ultra tiny, I cannot see any detail. Can you see if you have a higher resolution (larger) version or any other pics? Thanks!

How would you rate the texture of the Joanne's burlap? Are the holes in the fabric "big"? I plan to use black material with white cotton batting behind it, if the "holes" in the black burlap are too large, the white cotton may show through, that would look terrible. In your opinion, do you think the Joanne's burlap will work for me or do I need something tighter?

I'll head over to Joanne's soon in any case but just trying to get a little advanced notice here as to what I might need specifically.

If the burlap is too "open" for my purposes, what other material might be recommended that is "open enough" for good absorption, but not so open as to "show through"?
Old 18th May 2009
Gear Head

The black material I used is 100% Polyester. To me it is very breathable.
Old 19th May 2009
Gear Head

Stand for my bass traps!

I built it out of 1.25" pvc, 4x1.25 pvc tee's, and 2x1.50 clamps. What do you think?
Old 19th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

I built it out of 1.25" pvc, 4x1.25 pvc tee's, and 2x1.50 clamps. What do you think?
Hey...all I have to say is thanks a lot for sharing!thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

Ciro
Old 19th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks! Nice!
Old 21st May 2009
Lives for gear

Guys, how about thin FELT as a top-layer material for a bass trap?

I was at Joanne's today... I checked out burlap, cheapest option at $2.99/yard, but this burlap was very "open", the holes were large, reminded me of a window screen, if using a black burlap over white batting, the white would surely show through... so I've ruled this out.

I then saw another material, maybe it was polyester?... I forget, also seemed somewhat porous, was nice, but if I remember correctly, it was about $7.99/yard... a little pricey (I might need about 25 yards, it adds up).

I then noticed they had felt... pretty thin, but at least you can't see colors through it like with burlap. I did the "blow through" test (boy, was that embarrassing, I think the lady in the store thought I was blowing my nose on it)... the felt seemed easy to blow through... and it does "appear" quite porous when you look at it up to the light... you can see light through it... but at least it doesn't show colors through when installed (I held some black felt on top of some white felt and no white came though.... unlike with burlap) and this particular felt is just $4.99/yard (72" wide), $2 more than burlap, but $2 less than the polyester (or whatever it was). And I do like the look of felt, has a very "soft" look to it, it just looks quiet. heh

So, any reason why a thin felt would not be good as a top layer on a bass trap?

I asked if they had a thicker felt, but they said no. They did have some other felts that were a blend of wool etc, they were a lot more expensive an only came in 36" widths. The thin felt they have seems "strong enough" for a bass trap purpose... with my trap design, there will not be much pressure (or any) against the felt.... will just be stretched across the frame with low to moderate tension.

So, felt... yea or nay?

Thanks!

EDIT: Ok, just did some more searching and I see that a lot of folks do favor felt for general bass trap use... cool... I think I'm all set unless anyone has any other cool ideas....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search