The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Help with placement of Absorption and diffusion please in 22'x17'x8' project studio
Old 16th May 2009
Lives for gear
Help with placement of Absorption and diffusion please in 22'x17'x8' project studio

Hey guys. I have about 22 panels (703) that are 24"x48" and 5 diffusors I made myself that are 24"x48"x3". I also have Auralex Bass traps in the corners. My room is 17'x22'x8'. It is a live room for tracking anything guitars, bass, drums, vox, etc... as well as my control room. The drums are situated in one corner and my mix area is situated in the diagonally opposing corner. My first question is should I NOT have any diffusors on the walls by the drums (only about a foot and a half from each wall). Should I get more panels to cover most of or the entire ceiling which is bare right now except for a couple by the mix position and a couple by the drums? I know I should place diffusors on the rear wall behind the mix position but what about the far front wall in front of the drums and the far side wall from the drums? Should I also place panels angled where the wall meets the ceiling towards the center of the room? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 17th May 2009
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

You didn't say how thick the 703 panels are so it's impossible to comment. Diffusors near to drums can be great if they're good diffusors. Absorbers over drums are great too, especially if the ceiling is low. More about diffusors and drums and room treatment generally here:

All About Diffusion
The Ultimate Home Studio

Your other question are difficult to answer without seeing the space. Can you post a photo or two?

--Ethan
Old 17th May 2009
Lives for gear
Hey Ethan! Thanks for chiming in. I love your videos! I just watched your ultimate home studio video for the first time. Absolutely fantastic stuff! It gave me some very good ideas. Thanks so much! The panels I have are 2" inches thick and I have a couple that are 6 inches thick. The diffusors I have are just wood strips 3 inches deep spaced 2 inches apart with a backer. I was thinking of filling them with something but not sure what yet. Please forgive the mess in the pictures. I am just in the process of changing things around.
Attached Thumbnails
Help with placement of Absorption and diffusion please in 22'x17'x8' project studio-studio-002.jpg   Help with placement of Absorption and diffusion please in 22'x17'x8' project studio-studio-003.jpg   Help with placement of Absorption and diffusion please in 22'x17'x8' project studio-studio-004.jpg   Help with placement of Absorption and diffusion please in 22'x17'x8' project studio-studio-005.jpg   Help with placement of Absorption and diffusion please in 22'x17'x8' project studio-studio-006.jpg  

Help with placement of Absorption and diffusion please in 22'x17'x8' project studio-studio-007.jpg  
Old 18th May 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
All About Diffusion
You do understand that you NEVER put poly's together like that?

Quote:
The panels I have are 2" inches thick and I have a couple that are 6 inches thick. The diffusors I have are just wood strips 3 inches deep spaced 2 inches apart with a backer. I was thinking of filling them with something but not sure what yet. Please forgive the mess in the pictures. I am just in the process of changing things around.
Use the 6" ones for the corners and 2" panels for reflection points. As far as diffusion it does not sound like you really have anything that is correct.
Old 18th May 2009
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
You do understand that you NEVER put poly's together like that?
Apparently F. Alton Everest disagrees. Construction advice from his book below. heh

BTW, I think you're setting a bad precedent. Would you like it if I took you to task for the errors I see on your "educational" pages you link to all the time?

--Ethan
Attached Thumbnails
Help with placement of Absorption and diffusion please in 22'x17'x8' project studio-polys.gif  
Old 18th May 2009
Lives for gear

Actually, if you look at the pics of the BBC studios referenced in that book, when they have polys side by side, almost always, they're of different heights and/or different width(radius) so you're not really repeating a pattern.

I think that sketch was really more just to show how one would go about making and mounting them rather than showing whether or not repetitive sequences are appropriate.

Bryan
Old 18th May 2009
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpape View Post
Actually, if you look at the pics of the BBC studios referenced in that book, when they have polys side by side, almost always, they're of different heights and/or different width(radius) so you're not really repeating a pattern.
Yes, but they're side by side which is what I think Glenn was criticizing. Not sure why Glenn would even do something inappropriate like that, but that's a different issue.

The test in my video is not for an entire wall of diffusors. It is for small areas mic'd close up so people can hear what they sound like without having to be in the same room. Whether one poly is higher than another, or has a larger diameter, is irrelevant.

It amazes me that some people go out of their way to criticize the work of others when they have done little such work themselves. tutt

heh

--Ethan
Old 18th May 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Not sure why Glenn would even do something inappropriate like that, but that's a different issue.
??????? Why is me pointing that out a bad thing? Other people have pointed it out to you. Hey if I did hurt your feelings or something then sorry. It is all good. No hard feelings.
But i think it is inappropriate for you to make a video that clearly slams another product, but that's a different issue.

Quote:
Right on and if you are worried about the edges going in then set the poly like this.
Top picture.
GIK Acoustics: GIK Elite Poly
Old 18th May 2009
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
Why is me pointing that out a bad thing?
Because my video is not wrong. I think your objection to the way the poly was built for my video is that multiple sections are adjacent. But this is a common construct, as shown in the Everest book. I can also post a photo of a room from Everest's book showing one entire wall made of continuous polys if you'd like. Yes, in practice the diameters will be different. So sue me for not wanting to spend another hundred bucks when the diameters don't matter for the purposes of my video.

Quote:
i think it is inappropriate for you to make a video that clearly slams another product
At the time I made that video you did not sell a poly, nor did I know you would later sell a poly. I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, but it makes no sense for you to accuse me of dissing your product when clearly that was not my intent.

--Ethan
Old 18th May 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
At the time I made that video you did not sell a poly, nor did I know you would later sell a poly.
That really is not true as I told you about it. But lets leave it shall we? I am sorry for using the tutt finger at you. I did not know it had so much power. lol lol lol lol lol lol
As far as poly's we had a LOOOOOONG thread on the matter which I will try to dig up to refresh your memory.

Quote:
BTW, I think you're setting a bad precedent. Would you like it if I took you to task for the errors I see on your "educational" pages you link to all the time?
We where honored to have Rod Gervais (the copy you have pointed out before "Acoustic Primer") write that. If you do have a problem with it I highly recommend you contact him as I would never change it without his consent.
Old 18th May 2009
Gear Guru

OK, getting back on subject.

Quote:
My first question is should I NOT have any diffusors on the walls by the drums (only about a foot and a half from each wall)
I would say not to have the diffusion that close, but have panels that are 2" or thicker. For the ceiling right above I would do the same. Now getting a little further from the kit, NOW YOUR TALKIN. With a room your size diffusion will work GREAT.

Quote:
Should I also place panels angled where the wall meets the ceiling towards the center of the room?
Yes straddling any corner will help with bass trapping.

Once again, sorry for getting of subject on yea.
Old 19th May 2009
Lives for gear
Hey guys thanks so much for the help. Just a couple of questions. I think I have a good idea of what to do with the front and rear wall. But how should I arrange the side walls. The floor is carpeted and I probably won't have wood floors for a few months so for now I think I'm just going to have a cloud over the drums and a cloud over my listening position. Judging from the information I've gathered it seems like what I should do is line the rear wall with a combination of absorber/diffusor type panels like in Ethan's ultimate home studio video showing the "ideal rear wall" and bass traps along floor. Then Cover 90% (judging by Ethan's ultimate home studio video again) of the front wall with 4" thick bass traps. But I'm still not sure what to do with my 23 foot long side walls. 2" thick panels in stripe pattern spaced apart 2 feet from each other (for a total of 50% coverage on the side wall)? Should I also add bass trapping along the entire length of the side wall floors? And lastly should I put any diffusors along the side walls and if so where? Am I overdoing this whole setup? Glenn I really like the price of your 2" panels BTW. Thanks again, guys!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search