The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
705 FRK Sandwich?
Old 12th May 2009
Gear Nut

705 FRK Sandwich?

Hello,

I've been looking on the site and taken in lots of great advice and started building my broadband absorbers and treating my control room. A big thanks for all the collective info. After calling around for local/cheap options, I decided on rockwool over 703. They wanted 1.50 sq ft and rockwool came out to .34 cents sq ft! So I started with the Rockwool which was much flimsier than i thought but I'm making it work in the corners with frames. I was thinking about sucking it up and buying some 703 panels for some flat panels so i wouldn't have to deal with making more frames when i got a call from a HVAC guy who sold someone locally 705 FRK panels and the guy had 2000 sq ft extra after the job annd is looking to get rid of them.

I've read about the reflection properties and seen Ethans charts about the FRK etc, but if I was to turn 2 x 2" pieces in on each other where the FRK backing was in the middle, would that eliminate the FRK reflection and give it the same properties as non FRK 705? I wouldn't mind a little FRK reflection here and there but more often than not, I'm pretty sure I'd like to not have the reflection and if the price is right, I'll buy a bunch.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 12th May 2009
Gear Maniac

hi, i am not one of the "experts" here, but in i would bet they will chime in very soon and say that the frk should be removed in the application you describe...

i replied mainly because I did exactly this for a rather large batch of frk 703 that I got. I peeled the FRK off several pieces where i was using the panels in a multi layer (sandwich) configuration. Its pretty easy to remove. usual precautions apply (masks gloves etc).

if the price is right well then thumbsup good luck.

Last edited by embrionic; 12th May 2009 at 06:22 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 12th May 2009
Gear Nut

Great. I thought I had read that it was a pain to peel off but that makes my decision much simpler.

Thanks.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search