The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Monitors for mixing acoustic music?
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Head

Question Monitors for mixing acoustic music?

Budget: $1500 for the pair or active or passive with amp.
Room: 12x18 with real traps.
I'm using KRK V-8 now and need a drastic change.

Anyone have any monitor suggestions that would be better suited for acoustic music, i.e., folk, bluegrass, acoustic guitars, renaissance - in my price range? Something that would translate well and work equally well at low and loud volumes?

I tried and like the ASP8 and BM6A and both seem to be better suited for loud electronic and rock especially the ASP-8 (real nice).

Thanks in advance!
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Head

I know everyone is tired of monitor posts but I can use some pro opinions on montors better suited for acoustic music?
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Maniac

I think for your situation and price range the Mackie HR 824 is your best bet.
Old 2nd August 2005
Here for the gear

oh oh oh oh, if you are doing acoustic music, i think you will fall in LOVE with the BM6A's like I have, these things image so well its scary, most of the time (with proper placement) i feel as if i am not listening to speakers!!! they may be a bit more money but you will fall in LOVE with the BM6A's, i use these to monitor MP Earthwork Omni recordings (w/ Jecklin Disc) and they do not lie about what it sounds like, but an added plus is if your recordings are good, and your mixing is good; the recordings will just blosom and get you on the edge of your seat!

but you will make the right choice for what you think you need; though the Mackie's with acoustic music will sound very boxy to you; none of that with the dynaudio's
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

dunno the ASP-8 but I do a lot of acoustic music and I love my BM6A - I'd only change my monitors for K&H O300 (but that's another story)

Jo
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear Addict

pro audio

Look up the reference 3a decapo i by reference 3a.Take the road not taken...there is a galaxy of amazing monitors out there that "engineers" know nothing about because they arent marketed to them.Happy searching.
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear Maniac

IMHO these are the best value in nearfield monitors out there...

http://www.truthaudio.com/index.html

I have the TA 1A's...used to have the Mackie HR 824's....no contest

I do lots of acoustic music mixing and love mixing through these...

The translation of mixes to other systems is uncanny...!

Just do a search on Truth Audio in these forums for some more comments by users..

Larry
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear Head

I've heard some good stuff about Truth Audio, I checked out their site but see no mention of what control the back has in the line of rolloffs. Are there adjustments there?

The Mackies won't do for me, I already worked with them and only found them useful back when I was mixing hiphop. The Hafler looks good too but I never see anyone using them.

Now it's a toss up between the ASP8, TA-1A and BM6A. Hard choice!
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Much much much is gonna come down to your room...You just can't get around that period. 12 x 8 is a hard one.

Not a fan of the ASP8's in this room...
I have not heard a single example of mixes on them...though a few people recommend them

Mackies for Hip-Hop? That is 'THE' stereo typical response. Perhaps they work good for HH because they translate / deliver low end so well ...but... consider real world reality...MOST people don't use 824's for 'hip hop'...(Meaning most studios who OWN 824's or have do not mix Hip Hop)

I would look into the BM6a' for the most 'natural'. At least that is the consensus.

Bottom line...get used to your room and whatever speakers you put in there. Forget opinions...You will NEVER get a consistent opinon on nearfields...USE YOUR OWN EARS!

'Blown away' and 'no contest' and 'better than anything in thier price' etc.. is all complete nonsense in the big picture. At that range, they all work equally well...each adding thier own signature twist, anomolie, bend and sound that you will need to learn...period.

best of it...

P&B,
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear Head

Thanks for the sermon Rodney! That's 12 x 18...peace
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studjo
I'd only change my monitors for K&H O300 (but that's another story)

Jo
The Klein & Hummel 0300D is of course out your price range but the 0100 is very close. Owning both, I'd consider the 0100 possibly the best chice for your program material anyway, so long as you have access to some method of evaluating the lowest octave that the 0100 misses. We also own Genelec 1030 and Mackie HR824 monitors, and the 0100 is really in an entirely different class for our work, which is acoustic and electric guitars and voice.

Best,

John-
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoustic_kid
Thanks for the sermon Rodney! That's 12 x 18...peace
Sermon...? (An often lengthy and tedious speech of reproof or exhortation) Never.

Sound Judgment? (The capacity to assess situations or circumstances and draw sound conclusions; good sense) As much as possible.

12X18...Same principles, same ideas, same rules apply.

Peace back at you...
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by john caldwell
We also own Genelec 1030 and Mackie HR824 monitors, and the 0100 is really in an entirely different class for our work, which is acoustic and electric guitars and voice.

Best,

John-
I consider the BM6A a different class from the 1030 or 824 - so do you have em too?
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Pro AC, Response 1SC
Fabulous for Acoustic music
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

maybe Dynaudio BM5a are closer to your budget. I'm very happy with these, and I do acoustic/classical. They are perfect for my little space. I chose them over the Genelecs (8030), they seemed clearer to me.
best
Massimo
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studjo
I consider the BM6A a different class from the 1030 or 824 - so do you have em too?
I don't have the BM6A, nor have I heard them. I did have a pair of BM15a monitors for several weeks during the period we were in the upgrade search which ultimately drew us to the Klein & Hummel monitors. My bias would be that the BM6A would likely be an excellent and highly neutral and detailed monitor knowing its pedigree.

Smaller monitors like the 0100 and BM6A are also a lot easier to make work in non-ideal rooms. When you get into units like the BM15A and 0300 which have so much additional low frequency energy, the room interactions become more complex and difficult to manage sometimes. My 0100's also fit in a single flight case, and it's easy to take them to locations outside of my own studio. So small really is the next big!

A point not always mentioned about the smaller two-way monitors based on 5 and 6 inch drivers is the degree to which they often benefit from a proper stand. It's tempting to place them in a meter bridge arrangement, I know. But it can be quite eye opening to mount them on a heavy rigid stand with proper feet for acoustic coupling. I know this a bit audiophile of me, but it's really the case. I may be overboard here, but I fabricated stands which are based upon 1 inch thick steel plate , 2.5 x 4.5 steel tubing for a stem (1/4 inch wall thickness, filled with steel shot), and a 3/8 inch top platform. Not only do the bases couple to the floor slab with traditional spikes, but the monitor cabinets rest on hardened steel points to couple the monitor housing to the stand. Anyway, the results are really good, and the added low frequency extension from the small boxes is impressive. The stands really don't cost much to make, and spending the same money on new rack gear wouldn't buy much of note.

My opinions of course.

Good luck,

John-
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Budget: $1500 for the pair or active or passive with amp.
Room: 12x18 with real traps.
I'm using KRK V-8 now and need a drastic change.

Anyone have any monitor suggestions that would be better suited for acoustic music, i.e., folk, bluegrass, acoustic guitars, renaissance - in my price range? Something that would translate well and work equally well at low and loud volumes?

I tried and like the ASP8 and BM6A and both seem to be better suited for loud electronic and rock especially the ASP-8 (real nice).

Thanks in advance!
I have all Strauss Monitoring:

http://www.strauss-elektroakustik.co...ebersicht.html

---->go to SE Speakers ---->SE Mod 400 Nearfield Studio Monitor

I work since years with Jurgen's monitors, with any style of music !!!

Call Jürgen for more information:

Juergen Strauss
eMail: [email protected]

Tel: +41 (31) 381 50 55
Fax: +41 (31) 381 50 57
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Head

http://www.synthax.com/emesblack.html

http://www.synthax.com/emesowlmini.html

You owe it to yourself to check these guys out...

Tom Sailor
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Without a doubt, the absolute best choice for monitoring acoustic music would be Daedalus Speakers. I have two sets, the SR-823s and the W-803s, AND THEY SOUND ABSOLUTELY ACCURATE.
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Head

Those R-823s look like nice speakers, are they powered?
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Addict

General: My idea of monitoring is, that it they should sound good on any style of
music, otherwise something is short in the design...

About "the best monitoring": This speaker where chosen by blindfold test by the
16 engineers working at the new SONY Tokyo's mastering suites, this against all
other brands, and 32 pairs where sold

http://www.strauss-elektroakustik.co...y/fs_sony.html

They cost $20'000 a piece, not the pair! There will be soon a show room
in NYC where you can listen to them.

sorry for the spam.
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

LOL

I hope you don't compare 20'000$ speakers with something like a Genelec or Dynaudios - I hope they sound good for that kinda cash heh

Jo
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynthaxUS
http://www.synthax.com/emesblack.html

http://www.synthax.com/emesowlmini.html

You owe it to yourself to check these guys out...

Tom Sailor
I had Emes Black's for a short interim period. While they kicked the cheap Spirit Absolute II's ( heh ) i had before, they get blown away in every aspect by miles by my current PMC TB2S-A's. Granted, those PMC's are a bit more expensive, but the smaller DB1S-A's would be closer to EMES Black in price and still have that PMC sound quality. I'd pass on the Emes Blacks, unless you can get them cheap. Can't speak for the Emes Owl, never heard that.
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngeloClematide
General: My idea of monitoring is, that it they should sound good on any style of
music, otherwise something is short in the design...

About "the best monitoring": This speaker where chosen by blindfold test by the
16 engineers working at the new SONY Tokyo's mastering suites, this against all
other brands, and 32 pairs where sold

http://www.strauss-elektroakustik.co...y/fs_sony.html

They cost $20'000 a piece, not the pair! There will be soon a show room
in NYC where you can listen to them.

sorry for the spam.
Geez! What does $40,000 a pair monitors have to do with anythng in this particular post?

If I had 40k I'd help the needy.
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Maniac

The SR-823 speakers by Daedalus are not powered.
Old 5th August 2005
urumita

Acoustic decoupling!!
We're in the high end!!
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Harbeth Monitor40

http://www.harbeth.co.uk/prospeakers...or40/index.php

oops, sorry - too expensive.

Back to your question: The PMC LB1 Signature is very good on acoustic music.
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Geez! What does $40,000 a pair monitors have to do with anythng in this particular post?

If I had 40k I'd help the needy.
acoustic kid,

the little "SE Mod 400 Nearfield Studio Monitor" from Strauss are in the price range you are talking about ! I drive the near field model with a AR (acoustic research) amplifier who costs a additional $250.-

I work with the SE Mod 400 Nearfield every day, and my monitoring is solved since the day i have them. This speakers are special, and should be checked out by producers & engineers who deserve the best.

The big one for 20k is the top speaker from Jurgen, and just mentioned, because someone mentioned the words "the best", sorry for that. No way i work the whole day with the big ones, it would be too much for my nerv system.

Old 6th August 2005
Gear Addict
Quote:
I have all Strauss Monitoring:

http://www.strauss-elektroakustik.c...uebersicht.html

---->go to SE Speakers ---->SE Mod 400 Nearfield Studio Monitor

I work since years with Jurgen's monitors, with any style of music !!!

Call Jürgen for more information:

Juergen Strauss
eMail: [email protected]

Tel: +41 (31) 381 50 55
Fax: +41 (31) 381 50 57
I did not wanted to get into that thread but what so ever... I believe that the speakers in the studio is along the acoustic in the studio the most important part of the story. what you can not hear there , you will not be able to do right.

The speakers of Mr. Jürgen Strauss are not very well known, not at all in the USA as far as I know. Thats a shame because I believe that they are the next step in loudspeaker developpment. I have his "big " mastering speakers, but also his little speakers are just amazing. I stop here, because I realize that every more word probably sounds like spam. But I bet that 99% of the people who hear those speakers will say the same like me and the other guy who praised them above.

Daniel
www.ideeundklang.com
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd
The SR-823 speakers by Daedalus are not powered.
That puts them out of my range.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search