The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How do they harden the edges of OC 703?
Old 10th April 2009
Lives for gear

I have a number of Owens Corning 703 panels and a partial bolt of Guilford fabric left from a previous project.

Has anyone tried hardening the edges / corners of 703 by dipping them in a polyurethane?

Then I can stretch and glue the fabric over the frameless 703.
Old 10th April 2009
Gear Maniac

I was considering just spraying them with aqua net.
Old 10th April 2009
Gear Guru

Liquid fiberglass is what I have heard. Never have done it but.....
Old 10th April 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
Liquid fiberglass is what I have heard.
Yep, polyester resin should work, just like building a surfboard or a boat.
Old 10th April 2009
Lives for gear

never thought about hardening the edges with a chemical. what I did was get some angle aluminum, the white Armstrong pieces that mount to the wall for the perimiter of a drop ceiling installation and cut it to frame out the 703.
Old 10th April 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
never thought about hardening the edges with a chemical. what I did was get some angle aluminum, the white Armstrong pieces that mount to the wall for the perimiter of a drop ceiling installation and cut it to frame out the 703.
That is a great way to do it.thumbsup
Old 10th April 2009
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by erosconpollo View Post
Yep, polyester resin should work, just like building a surfboard or a boat.
Just to clarify - it's the resin that hardens, and that's what you want. The fiberglass fabric used with resin for boats etc is not needed here.

--Ethan
Old 10th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
Just to clarify - it's the resin that hardens, and that's what you want. The fiberglass fabric used with resin for boats etc is not needed here.

--Ethan
Doing a test with fiberglass resin on a small piece of 703 tonight. Will know in the morning if it will work for doing frameless panels. If it gets hard enough, I can simply stretch the Guilford over the 2x2 panels, use 3M spray adhesive to secure the fabric and done.

If it works, I imagine you could bevel the edges before stretching the fabric for a more designed look.
Old 14th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post

--Ethan

The Fiberglass Resin seems to work fine on a small piece of 703, though it does take quite a bit to harden a 2" edge. I'll see how long it takes for the odor to go away.
Old 14th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sanchez View Post
Dark liquor and rough women?

Frank
Old 14th April 2009
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel9992 View Post
Dark liquor and rough women?
Works for me. Dark women and rough liquor works pretty well too. heh
Old 15th April 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sanchez View Post
Doing a test with fiberglass resin on a small piece of 703 tonight. Will know in the morning if it will work for doing frameless panels. If it gets hard enough, I can simply stretch the Guilford over the 2x2 panels, use 3M spray adhesive to secure the fabric and done.

If it works, I imagine you could bevel the edges before stretching the fabric for a more designed look.
Where do you get that stuff? The resin??? Hardware store? I've never seen it.

Thanks
Old 15th April 2009
Gear Nut

Being in the boating biz for a long time, and very familiar with fiberglass resin, etc. You will want to shape your 703 first, as once the resin hardens, you'll need to use a decent sander or cut it if you want beveled edges.

Most hardware stores will sell the resin too. There are some other products too, but the resin will be the cheapest... maybe $15 for a gallon.

This actually sounds like a good idea. Btw, the stuff is really heat sensitive and will cure overnight at 65 degrees or in an hour at 80 degrees.
Old 15th April 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixmkr View Post
Being in the boating biz for a long time, and very familiar with fiberglass resin, etc. You will want to shape your 703 first, as once the resin hardens, you'll need to use a decent sander or cut it if you want beveled edges.

Most hardware stores will sell the resin too. There are some other products too, but the resin will be the cheapest... maybe $15 for a gallon.

This actually sounds like a good idea. Btw, the stuff is really heat sensitive and will cure overnight at 65 degrees or in an hour at 80 degrees.
Good tips. thumbsup
Old 20th April 2009
Here for the gear

The polyester resin is a mess. I tried this with lousy results. Brushing it on tends to shred the board in the process and you can't use a foam brush. It soaks into the panel and does not really give a hard edge. I used about 6 oz. of Boaters Resin (close to $40/gallon with hardener) to do a 2'x4'x2" panel with results no better than basic polyurethane. I think it could be better if I used more or applied another coat but if you have a bunch of panels to do it will take a long time and a lot of that nasty toxic goop to get it done (but what a head-rush! ).

I would love to hear some other opinions because I am still at a loss on this technique and I've tried a few different things...
Old 20th April 2009
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Maybe you could use contact cement to glue thin cardboard strips over the beveled edges, then apply a thin coat of fiberglass over the cardboard to make a nicer smooth surface?

--Ethan
Old 21st April 2009
Gear Nut

lay some very thin fiberglass cloth or mat and use a cheap paint brush (then throw the brush away). Those foam brushes don't hold enough resin in them and are used for painting, etc.

I like Ethan's idea of laying something smooth on it first. Fiberglass work isn't rocket science, but there are some short cuts, etc that if you've used the stuff, you can get some great results.

Another thought is to spray something on. All I can think of now is something like gelcote, as it would be tough to thin the resin. You can get disposable sprayers (Preval power sprayers, for instance) that are a couple bucks each, and with spraying you can get a much smoother surface.

and $40/gal !! wow.... yeah...if we sell it in our Ship's Store... sure.. go to Ace Hardware or something like that. Next to the acetone. You're paying because it's "marine use" so to speak.
Old 6th March 2019
Here for the gear

Reviving an old thread that may be helpful for someone (like me) doing a search on the internet trying to figure out what to use for hardening the edges of Owens Corning 703 for DIY acoustic panels. I recently wallpapered a room and used Roman Pro-543 adhesive. When I went to find polyurethane resin as people recommended for the edge hardening on my OC 703 panels, my local hardware stores couldn't recommend anything so I ended up buying some expensive stuff call No-Frame Edge Coating from Buy Insulation Products.com that with shipping was about $25/quart. When I received the No-Frame Coating it was in generic cans with a super generic label that looked like it was printed off a home printer. When I opened up the can, it turned out to be Roman adhesive! From what I can tell they thin out the Roman a little and put it in these generic cans. The big difference is the Roman adhesive can be bought at most hardware stores (including Home Depot in the U.S.) for about $25 per GALLON and you don't need to pay for expensive shipping. Roman also makes a heavy duty version called Pro - 838 that probably works even better than the 543 I used when I ran out of the No-Frame Edge Coating. You can thin it out by adding water if you want it to absorb into the panels more. The Roman worked great for me. I hope this helps someone out!
Old 13th March 2019
Lives for gear

Here you go...
No Frame Edge Coating | Fiberglass Coating | Buy Insulation Products
This stuff is going to do the trick....better late than never...
not a problem if you impale mount your panels...frames are better for air gap mounting...

YYMV

Light

Temple
Old 3rd May 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temple of Light View Post
Here you go...
No Frame Edge Coating | Fiberglass Coating | Buy Insulation Products
This stuff is going to do the trick....better late than never...
not a problem if you impale mount your panels...frames are better for air gap mounting...

YYMV

Light

Temple
I'm interested to see how this turned out. Did you use the product from Buy Insulation Products, or did you substitute the Roman-543 product mentioned above that thought to be the same if thinned?

How did it work? How long to dry?

Many TIA.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search