The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The "bling factor" of room treatment.
Old 16th March 2009
Lives for gear

The "bling factor" of room treatment.

A lot of us have written in, read, and/or commented on threads with those people that ask about what monitors, converters, pres, mics, they should get, when their room is fully untreated. I am one of those that at one point was asking those very questions.

It's obvious why people are like, oh, my room is fine, I just want the sexy new shiny gear.

But not enough effort has been put into showing how sexy room treatment really is. My 12x12 room was ghetto as hell. no treatment. sure I had the walls painted a cool deep plum color, with the end accent wall a light mocha coffee color. But now that I have panels up, along with some cheapo $35 track lighting from home depot. My little studio has a nice bling factor. Not only does it sound better obviously, but it's inspiring to look at. I do not have clients come in, as I use the studio for my own stuff. But I know that comparing before to after, that I could charge a higher rate just based on the visuals alone.

Room treatment is just as sexy as any new pre is gonna be, even more I'd say. I have a mix of a few GIK black bass traps I just got (thanks Dobromir), knauf board in Ready Acoustics bags, and Knauf Board wrapped up in Burlap all DIY style. It all looks awesome. I spent a total of $400-$500 and my room sounds nice and controlled, but again, just as important, it looks awesome. What kind of awesome gear can you get for $400-$500?? An ART Digital MPA? You see my point.

So I am here to say room treatment is the sluttiest form of gearlust expression you can make. Blow all that loot on those sexy ass panels. You'll never want to leave your room. After that if you wanna go drool over gear, know that you'll be getting 100% of it's performance because of that sexy treatment you got going on. You can bling it out however you want. Ready Acoustic Bags are particularly sexy. They are velvety as all get out. My wife even loves them. She visits my room much more often no, no joke. Proof that room treatment attracts the ladies.

If anyone has some before and after shots of your ugly untreated room, and your sexy new treated room, post here.
Old 16th March 2009
Gear Addict

Good Advice man.... You make me want to grab the tools and hit the shop right now. I agree that room treatment has to be at the top of the list.
Old 16th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pryzefighter View Post
Good Advice man.... You make me want to grab the tools and hit the shop right now. I agree that room treatment has to be at the top of the list.
Totally... the selling points used have always been lots of graphs and data regarding what's going on scientifically with the sound waves. Though we all believe it, and know there's something to it all, graphs and charts are not sexy. And that's the problem. Sexy sells gear.

We need to push this stuff as just "looking so darn cool you need it, oh and by the way, yer room and recordings will sound a whole lot better too!"

Seriously, my wife was gazing at my wall panels the other day saying they look like art. She never even notices a new preamp or a converter.
Old 16th March 2009
Gear Head

Let's see some pics!!
Old 16th March 2009
Gear Maniac

thumbsup
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A. Batson View Post
Let's see some pics!!
Old 16th March 2009
Gear Guru

I just can't resist.

Old 16th March 2009
Lives for gear

I know one thing for sure...and yes, it's partially because I do this for a living, and have done something like it my whole adult life...when I walk into somebody's "studio" and see, a.) no treatment of any kind or b.) every square inch covered with foam, I know we've got problems. I know I'm about to sit down and *struggle* through a mix, and the availability of fabulous gear doesn't make it less frustrating, it makes it *more* frustrating.

Frank
Old 16th March 2009
Lives for gear

It's really scary/frustrating. I'm looking at taking some of my rough cuts into a proper studio around here, but all the online photos of every studio in town have exactly that syndrome: lots of corrugated foam [or, well, sometimes like 4 pieces stuck randomly on the walls], nothing in the corners, big fat gear lists. It makes me question how much they know about any of the other aspects of recording.
Old 16th March 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
I just can't resist.

Glenn this is sweet!thumbsup My basement is not finished, the walls are bare because I can't afford to finish it. I am making some traps to do the job. So far I have 16 frames built. At least it will be a start. Let's see the front!

Last edited by David A. Batson; 16th March 2009 at 06:34 PM.. Reason: to add
Old 16th March 2009
Gear Nut

Hi there,

Looks great. Those are white panels correct ? I've ordered some panels from you Glenn. I'm from South Africa, Cape Town. I ordered 4 tri-traps and 3 244 panels. I'm also thinking of perhaps getting a pair of monster traps as well (for directly behind the listening position).

I'm just deciding whether I should go for the sand color or the white color. Can't make up my damn mind.

Regards,
Vaughan
Old 16th March 2009
Lives for gear

Studio bling was high on my priority list when i built my new studio.....for the reason that there are so many mastering studios popping up all over the place with nice gear lists, i wanted to do something to stand out from the crowd.

My gear-list is actually quite modest........but in my experience, very few of my clients are actually interested in gear, whereas everybody comments favourably on a nice room!
Old 16th March 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius van H View Post
Studio bling was high on my priority list when i built my new studio.....for the reason that there are so many mastering studios popping up all over the place with nice gear lists, i wanted to do something to stand out from the crowd.

My gear-list is actually quite modest........but in my experience, very few of my clients are actually interested in gear, whereas everybody comments favourably on a nice room!

You have a beautiful Studio there Darius!!
Old 16th March 2009
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
I just can't resist.
Me either. heh Here's my living room all decked out with a total of 45 traps and four diffusors:

Old 16th March 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A. Batson View Post
Glenn this is sweet!thumbsup My basement is not finished, the walls are bare because I can't afford to finish it. I am making some traps to do the job. So far I have 16 frames built. At least it will be a start. Let's see the front!
This is not my room, but thought it looked pretty cool. A customer just sent those pictures.
Here is the front

This is my listening room
Old 16th March 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
Me either. heh Here's my living room all decked out with a total of 45 traps and four diffusors:

I still have nightmares about those damn dolls in the back of your room.
Old 16th March 2009
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Those puppets are coming to get you Glenn, with glowing red eyes and fingers like a cross between Freddie Kruger and Edward Scissorhands.

Now, I hope you can sleep okay tonight! heh

--Ethan
Old 16th March 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
Those puppets are coming to get you Glenn, with glowing red eyes and fingers like a cross between Freddie Kruger and Edward Scissorhands.

Now, I hope you can sleep okay tonight! heh

--Ethan
Old 16th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

You room is fabulous, Darius. There's nothing "modest" about your gear list either....really a first-class place.

Frank
Old 24th March 2009
x99
Gear Nut

Quote:
Studio bling was high on my priority list when i built my new studio....
I love this room! Especially the rock climbing wall haha
Old 24th March 2009
ruy
Gear Maniac

Quote:

cool studio darius and i really like those recessed diffusors you made for the ceiling and back wall. are they very heavy and would you mind sharing the plans for those?
Old 24th March 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by goneten View Post
Hi there,

Looks great. Those are white panels correct ? I've ordered some panels from you Glenn. I'm from South Africa, Cape Town. I ordered 4 tri-traps and 3 244 panels. I'm also thinking of perhaps getting a pair of monster traps as well (for directly behind the listening position).

I'm just deciding whether I should go for the sand color or the white color. Can't make up my damn mind.

Regards,
Vaughan
Hey Vaughan,
Welcome to GS!!
Old 24th March 2009
Motown legend

Colored lights on dimmers go a long way!
Old 24th March 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras
Hey Vaughan,
Welcome to GS!!
Thanks for the warm welcome.

Regards,
Old 24th March 2009
Gear Nut

Well ? Where are the pics people ?

Regards,
Old 24th March 2009
ruy
Gear Maniac

skyline

by the way glenn

i bought a couple of your bass traps for my studio (see attached pict.) and they are a great value. keep up the good work!

i'm definitively going to buy a couple more after i get some proper diffusion for the rear wall...
Attached Thumbnails
The "bling factor" of room treatment.-mambony3.jpg  
Old 24th March 2009
Lives for gear

I'll play, although a bit modest comparitively:

*man, it wouldn't allow me to post some that are already in my build thread... see link in sig line. The poly diffusor is a prototype... 9 more to come sprinkled throughout the tracking room*
Attached Thumbnails
The "bling factor" of room treatment.-control-head.jpg   The "bling factor" of room treatment.-studio-066.jpg   The "bling factor" of room treatment.-studio-075.jpg   The "bling factor" of room treatment.-studio-077.jpg   The "bling factor" of room treatment.-studio-079.jpg  

The "bling factor" of room treatment.-studio-040.jpg  
Old 24th March 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruy
i bought a couple of your bass traps for my studio (see attached pict.) and they are a great value. keep up the good work!
Nice pics. Are those Monster traps on the ceiling ?

Regards,
Old 24th March 2009
ruy
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by goneten View Post
Nice pics. Are those Monster traps on the ceiling ?

Regards,
244's
Old 24th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I'll play, although a bit modest comparitively:

*man, it wouldn't allow me to post some that are already in my build thread... see link in sig line. The poly diffusor is a prototype... 9 more to come sprinkled throughout the tracking room*
You're stuff looks great John. Love all the wood work.

Frank
Old 24th March 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruy View Post
by the way glenn

i'm definitively going to buy a couple more after i get some proper diffusion for the rear wall...
Not sure what your time frame is like but we have a new poly diffusor hitting the market VERY soon.thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search