The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Rock/mineral wool vs. 703/705
Old 7th March 2009
Here for the gear

Rock/mineral wool vs. 703/705

So I'm getting the idea that there's no reason to use the more expensive OC products if I can get my hands on some cheap rock wool. Is that right?

Would this material be suitable for early reflection panels, or is it not sufficiently dense?
Roxul AFB Mineral Wool 2 inch Case of 6

And does this seem like a good material for bass traps/broadband absorbers?
Roxul Rockboard 60

Does 2" seem like a good depth for early reflection panels? 4" depth for bass traps?

I've tried to find local vendors but haven't had much luck. A guy at Lowe's can order me 703/705 but would want me to order wayyyyyy more than I need.

Thanks all.
Old 7th March 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
So I'm getting the idea that there's no reason to use the more expensive OC products if I can get my hands on some cheap rock wool. Is that right?
Yes but you might want to use a wood frame as OC products are a bit more rigid.

Quote:
Would this material be suitable for early reflection panels, or is it not sufficiently dense?
Roxul AFB Mineral Wool 2 inch Case of 6
That will work fine.

Quote:
And does this seem like a good material for bass traps/broadband absorbers?
Roxul Rockboard 60
Looks good to me. Make them 4" or more thick.

Quote:
Does 2" seem like a good depth for early reflection panels? 4" depth for bass traps?
Yes 2" for early reflection points and 4" for bass traps. I will say that if you can't fit a lot of 4" panels in the corner they you may consider using 4" even in the early reflection areas. It will help with bass trapping.

Glenn
Old 7th March 2009
Here for the gear

Glenn, thanks much for your reply. Your posts are always so very helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
I was hoping to avoid a frame, with the exception of a couple thin wooden strips laid in parallel across the rear length of the panels to hold them in place...in the hopes of greater surface area exposed and thus greater absorption. I would think that would work ok for the 6pcf rockwool....think that's enough to hold the 2.5pcf stuff in place?

Quote:
Yes 2" for early reflection points and 4" for bass traps. I will say that if you can't fit a lot of 4" panels in the corner they you may consider using 4" even in the early reflection areas. It will help with bass trapping.
So maybe I make the 4 bass traps with the 6pcf and then double up the 2.5pcf stuff to make 4" early absorbers. Or am I just needlessly cutting corners with that lighter density material? Perhaps I should just suck it up and pay the extra $3.33 per batt for the rockboard....

Oh, and Glenn, or anyone else, any thoughts on using UltraTouch cotton insulation vis a vis the rockwool batts?

Cheers.
Old 8th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thio View Post
I was hoping to avoid a frame, with the exception of a couple thin wooden strips laid in parallel across the rear length of the panels to hold them in place...in the hopes of greater surface area exposed and thus greater absorption. I would think that would work ok for the 6pcf rockwool....think that's enough to hold the 2.5pcf stuff in place?
I have 11 or 12 traps I did exactly this way, with rockwool (or similar, called "lã de rocha" here) 2pcf (32kg/m³).Most 4",but some 6" and 2 traps thicker.
Only thing is that the borders, after you put the fabric are not so "defined" as you get with the more dense material.Not the best density for 4",But I think they work fine.

The others I have (6, in the corners) are 64kg/m³.

Ciro
Old 1st June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post

That will work fine.

Looks good to me. Make them 4" or more thick.

Glenn
Glenn, sorry if I ask about a thread this old but, he was talking about a 2.5 pounds/cubic feet panel for first reflection and 6 pounds/cubic feet for bass traps

Shouldn't it be the other way around? Densed material for first reflections and fluffier material for low freq bass trapping and broadband absorbers?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search