The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
pleas help my acoustic nightmare!!!
Old 6th June 2005
Gear Head

Cool pleas help my acoustic nightmare!!!

Hi guys,

I am in need of some serious expert advice. Ive recently moved into a new studio, which i did out with acoustic treatment myself but i think i may have overdone the rockwool as its nearly impossible to mix in. Ive put fabric covered rockwool on half of the side walls and all of the wall behind the speakers and i dont know if this is too much, but its impossible to get levels in this studio now. I've never experienced acoustics this bad before and i just need to know which way to turn now and whether it is the acoustics causing me problems. The rockwool is two inches thick and of the rigid variety.MIxing vocals and getting levels has especially got harder, and everything seems to be coming out the studio sounding harsher than it used to .Please help.

cheers,

chris. thumbsup
Old 7th June 2005
Gear Addict

can you give us dimensions, and maybe a drawing?
also, what sort of room are you more used to?
Old 7th June 2005
Gear Head

The dimensions are roughly, 17 feet long by 15 feet wide by 8 feet high.(double garage). I dont know what it is, but its driving me mad, because ive been mixing for years and never found it so hard before. Its impossible to find good levels for vocals in the mix and it just sounds so harsh!!!

Thanks again for any advice.

chris.
Old 7th June 2005

Sounds like you attenuated the highs and did nothing for the low-mids and the low frequencies.

How are the walls constructed? Is the floor concrete? What is above the ceiling?

-tINY

Old 7th June 2005
Lives for gear

spend a few hundred bucks and talk to an expert. you'll make the $ back in no time
Old 7th June 2005
Nothing more needs said .... well other than you can make them yourself but it is realy not worth the trouble.

Really you can spend the money on an expert but Ethans site has a boatload of info and he is a great guy, send him an email with questions and I aure he would be happy to help.

5 minitraps did a huge number on my room, it is usable now and at some point I will be getting a few more.

Way cool, do your self a favor and do a search here for more info.
thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
Old 7th June 2005
Lives for gear

you could have possibly killed all the high end... maybe turn some of those fabric covered rockwool walls into slot resonators by spacing some pine across them... particularly the forward half of the room. a control room shouldn't be acoustically dead... just nice and balanced with no standing waves or nasty reflections. flat reflective surfaces arent a bad thing...

try here www.johnlsayers.com

photos speak more than 1000 words so if you got a digi camera get snapping
Old 7th June 2005
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Chris,

> Ive put fabric covered rockwool on half of the side walls and all of the wall behind the speakers <

I agree with the other comments that you probably killed too much of the mids and highs, while doing nothing for the lows. I don't know why so many people cover the entire wall behind the speakers with absorption, because it's not needed and it's almost always makes things too dead sounding. You do need absorption at the first reflection points, and obviously you'll benefit from a lot of bass trapping. With bass trapping, the more the better. But not with mid/high frequency absorption.

You may be interested in this short article about the practice of covering the entire front wall:

www.realtraps.com/art_front-wall.htm

Also, thanks to Michael for mentioning my company RealTraps. In case you're considering buying bass traps, we just this week started selling directly to Europe.

--Ethan
Old 7th June 2005
Gear Head

Thanks ethan,

I already have three realtraps mini traps and today while experimenting in the room i placed two of these behind the speakers which has really helped. I also got rid of quite a bit of the rockwool from the side walls and this has helped alot. I must say your realtraps really are great. You can really hear them working as soon as you put them up ! Any more advice would be greatly appreciated, as the room still has a slightly weird bass response, with quite a few dips and peaks around the room. Is there a good starting point for placing the realtraps in my room or is it just trial and error?

cheers,

chris
Old 8th June 2005
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Chris,

> Is there a good starting point for placing the realtraps in my room or is it just trial and error? <

With only three of them my best advice is to get a few more. In case you missed it in the New Product Alert section, we're now selling directly to Europe for the same low prices US customers enjoy.

But even with only three you can move them around to see where they do the most good for your particular setup. The best way to do that is with an analyzer program like ETF. This way you can quickly check the low frequency response for each change, and - even better - also see the effect of placement on low frequency ringing time. In fact, you can do all that using just the demo for ETF. As I recall, the demo does everything the full version does except it won't print or save data files for later recall.

--Ethan
Old 8th June 2005
Quote:
Also, thanks to Michael for mentioning my company RealTraps.
thumbsup (I will happily except 2 Mondo Traps in payment... heh)
Old 9th June 2005
Gear Guru

Thumbs up

> I will happily except 2 Mondo Traps in payment <

They're on the way as we speak...

Old 10th June 2005
A33
Gear Addict

I was round christians the other day.
Would a cad drawing of the room with peaks and troughs
marked on it be helpfull?
Old 10th June 2005
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

A33,

> Would a cad drawing of the room with peaks and troughs marked on it be helpfull? <

Not really. All rooms look like yours, and the solution is always the same anyway: Broadband absorption that works well to as low a frequency as possible.

--Ethan

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search