The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Comparative Safety of Rockwool, Fiberglass, and Organic Fibers (a review)
Old 25th August 2017
Thanks; yes, I was thinking of increasing surface area (I want to make a booth out of it, so a pure UT recording booth). I want absolutely 0 reflectivity. Will 3" of UT reflect anything? What about 3" of 703, or Rockwool; will they reflect?

If so, could I cover them in foam wedges in order to reduce reflections?
Old 25th August 2017
Gear Guru
Questions

Saur, you are posting random questions in random threads. This thread is about Comparative Safety.

DD
Old 20th December 2018
Lives for gear
What about spraying a mist of adhesive all over it before covering the insulation to keep the dust in?
Old 26th December 2018
Lives for gear

I covered mine with jersey cotton sheets (it was the least expensive & flexible material vs quantity I could find). Should this suffice, or is a thicker material recommended?

Attached Files

1 untreated rrom.mp3 (142.9 KB, 1890 views)

2 treated room.mp3 (151.0 KB, 1896 views)

Last edited by djanthonyw; 27th December 2018 at 07:47 PM..
Old 8th March 2019
Deleted 451f99d
Quote:
Originally Posted by takman View Post
Before i had started construction of my rockwool panels, i had done research into the saftey of it.....and i was certain it was going to be fine..

I have all the rockwool panels installed in my room ( my bedroom)..i have some halogen lights i installed...

i noticed the lights were illuninating A LOT of dust particles...and i became a bit paranoid... so i starting doing more research..

all the research says its safe. So you start reading through forums, and everyone is in agreeance its safe..then some guy posts something like....of course they will say its safe, they dont want to hurt their profits..or dont trust the govt agencies....or its safe until you start pumping low freqeuncies through and releasing the fibers...

i know i have told people its safe...but now that i think about about pumping bass through it....

it was the damn lighting in my room that got me all paranoid again.....Deep down i know i shouldnt worry...and i believe its safe....but i still cant let go

Glenn? Ethan? make me feel better!

edit:

so i took a shirt from my closet, brought it close to the light, and whacked it a few times...and you wouldnt believe the dust and fibers that came from it...

No matter where you are, you are breathing in dust...i cant imagine the abuse your lungs take. so why am i starting to get paranoid again?

hahahha i know i'm having the same thoughts... I mean i bought the most expensive vac cleaner with my gfs money and now i still see some particles. I decided I will wear a respiratory mask within my house.
Old 25th March 2019
Here for the gear

I'm surprised this (attached) paper wasn't included in the initial selection.

Anyone here have experience with Woolly Shepherd, a uk manufacturer of sheeps wool panels?
Old 16th August 2019
What a fantastic thread everyone should read who works with recordings studio construction/baffle/isolation. A well deserved bumped into 2020 !
Old 26th November 2019
Gear Head

Sop, what exactly is ROXUL HT vs ROXUL? It's been asked before, but I don't see the answer.
Old 3rd December 2019
Gear Head
There seem to be some new concerns in the EU about the safety of mineral wool. Apparently the product that's on the shelves is not the same product that was tested and approved. So our current regulations underestimate the risks of handling modern mineral wool.

Quote:
Mineral wool was originally classified by the World Health Organisation (WHO) and the International Agency on the Research on Cancer (IARC) as carcinogenic and hazardous to humans. The mineral wool industry then altered the composition of their product, which then underwent further tests. In 2002 mineral wool was declassified as a carcinogen. However, it has now emerged that the product as tested was different from that which is commercially available, in that an important ‘binder’ had been removed. There are calls for re-testing by the European Chemicals Agency (ECA), this time with tests being conducted on the product as sold, not a variant with the binder removed.
https://www.eupoliticalreport.eu/wha...alth-concerns/
Old 3rd December 2019
Gear Head
UltraTouch is pitched as a safer alternative. The ads show kids hugging batts of it. But cellulose insulation produces a lot of dust so we probably shouldn't just assume it's risk free because it's made of cotton.

UltraTouch is ~85% recycled cotton. AFAIK the remaining 15% is an olefin fiber binder that never gets discussed. Olefin fiber is a synthetic polypropelene polymer that's found in carpet. There doesn't seem to be any information available on how safe it is a binder in insulation.

UltraTouch also uses Boric Acid as a flame re-tardant. Borates are one of the safest flame re-tardants available. But you don't want to breath in large quantities of borate dust.

https://www.buildinggreen.com/blog/t...ase-boric-acid
Old 25th May 2020
Here for the gear

So is it harmful to use a company like GIK because they use fiberglass in their panels?
Old 25th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealjrhythm View Post
So is it harmful to use a company like GIK because they use fiberglass in their panels?
Where did you get the idea that fiberglass is harmful?
Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
The thermal insulation in building is made by fiberglass or rockwool all over the planet.
To you we would be in great danger
Old 27th May 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinococcus View Post
Quote:
The thermal insulation in building is made by fiberglass or rockwool all over the planet.
To you we would be in great danger
Yes I'm well aware of that. I was pointing out the same exact thing you just said...I should've worded it better instead of putting it in the form of a question. It was more of a so if some are hesitant about the type of insulation used , companies like GIK use those products in their panels - if you were to buy pre-made acoustic panels from them.
Old 29th May 2020
Here for the gear

What about wrapping the insulation with weed barrier cloth before installing the final fabric? Anyone tried it?
Old 16th July 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixOlivier View Post
What about wrapping the insulation with weed barrier cloth before installing the final fabric? Anyone tried it?
Beware of using landscape fabric aka “weed block” as the wrapper for acoustic treatment — most contains petroleum products, which typically are flammable.

Always smart to check the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) aka Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS).

Hope this helps. Good luck!

https://www.msdsonline.com/sds-search/

https://www.deseret.com/1997/5/25/19...and-weaknesses

https://jobescompany.com/product/weedblock-natural/
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Seems that since 2019 Rockwool's safety is being questioned, as mentioned by dustcloud above: https://www.eupoliticalreport.eu/wha...alth-concerns/

But with UT seeming even more dangerous, what's the best way to go?

I'd really like to get acoustic treatment going on my room. It's an 11 by 14 room, I've got nearfields in there, and the room modes are quite an issue, so I really need bass traps. DIY seems a lot cheaper of a way to go, though if professionally made stuff is safer since I don't need to build it, ok. Most of the HF issues seem to be taken care of by all the synths in there, which do a good job of diffusing HF energy. But with bass, at this point it almost seems bags of old laundry and blankets in the four corners would be the safest way to go, especially as this is for myself, not a commercial studio. Looking to spend 300-500 USD max.
📝 Reply