The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The Comparative Safety of Rockwool, Fiberglass, and Organic Fibers (a review)
Old 25th August 2017
Thanks; yes, I was thinking of increasing surface area (I want to make a booth out of it, so a pure UT recording booth). I want absolutely 0 reflectivity. Will 3" of UT reflect anything? What about 3" of 703, or Rockwool; will they reflect?

If so, could I cover them in foam wedges in order to reduce reflections?
Old 25th August 2017
Gear Guru
Questions

Saur, you are posting random questions in random threads. This thread is about Comparative Safety.

DD
Old 20th December 2018
Lives for gear
What about spraying a mist of adhesive all over it before covering the insulation to keep the dust in?
Old 26th December 2018
Lives for gear

I covered mine with jersey cotton sheets (it was the least expensive & flexible material vs quantity I could find). Should this suffice, or is a thicker material recommended?

Attached Files

1 untreated rrom.mp3 (142.9 KB, 640 views)

2 treated room.mp3 (151.0 KB, 651 views)

Last edited by djanthonyw; 27th December 2018 at 07:47 PM..
Old 8th March 2019
Deleted 451f99d
Quote:
Originally Posted by takman View Post
Before i had started construction of my rockwool panels, i had done research into the saftey of it.....and i was certain it was going to be fine..

I have all the rockwool panels installed in my room ( my bedroom)..i have some halogen lights i installed...

i noticed the lights were illuninating A LOT of dust particles...and i became a bit paranoid... so i starting doing more research..

all the research says its safe. So you start reading through forums, and everyone is in agreeance its safe..then some guy posts something like....of course they will say its safe, they dont want to hurt their profits..or dont trust the govt agencies....or its safe until you start pumping low freqeuncies through and releasing the fibers...

i know i have told people its safe...but now that i think about about pumping bass through it....

it was the damn lighting in my room that got me all paranoid again.....Deep down i know i shouldnt worry...and i believe its safe....but i still cant let go

Glenn? Ethan? make me feel better!

edit:

so i took a shirt from my closet, brought it close to the light, and whacked it a few times...and you wouldnt believe the dust and fibers that came from it...

No matter where you are, you are breathing in dust...i cant imagine the abuse your lungs take. so why am i starting to get paranoid again?

hahahha i know i'm having the same thoughts... I mean i bought the most expensive vac cleaner with my gfs money and now i still see some particles. I decided I will wear a respiratory mask within my house.
Old 25th March 2019
Here for the gear

I'm surprised this (attached) paper wasn't included in the initial selection.

Anyone here have experience with Woolly Shepherd, a uk manufacturer of sheeps wool panels?
Old 16th August 2019
What a fantastic thread everyone should read who works with recordings studio construction/baffle/isolation. A well deserved bumped into 2020 !

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search