The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Acoustic advice
Old 16th May 2005
Lives for gear

Acoustic advice

Need acoustic guitar. Want one that sounds something like the J-45 or the Texan...Gibsonish is what I like. Preferably a non-natural finish guitar - like sunbursts and dark colors....

Any advice in the sub-1.000 dollar segment?
Old 16th May 2005
Gear Addict

I believe that sound is what they are going for in the new Epiphone Masterbilts.

http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/AJ500R.htm

I played a couple at the Gibson shop in Nashville and I thought they were pretty good. I think they are probably close to the sound you are looking for. Granted its not the exact same type of guitar as a J45, but for what you describe I think it is worth a look.

I seem to remember seeing one that was sunburst, but that one seems to only come in natural.

If you are up for an adventure, try one of the older Gibson copies on Ebay. I have a cheap Lyle acoustic from the 70s (sunburst, spruce and mahogany) that is great for that type of tone.
Old 18th May 2005
Lives for gear

I saw a new Gibson Robert Johnson in a store last weekend; I made sure NOT to play it because I knew I woulda bought it then and there. It looks good enough to eat. It's a really nice antique brown sunburst. Besides, what could be cooler than a Robert Johnson geetar. It was $999.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Gibso...hnson%20L%2D1/

I know what you mean about Gibson acoustics. I think of Martins and Taylors when I want to do a fingerpicking thing. They seem to separate the notes better.

I prefer Gibson acoustics for rock and roll stuff...when I wanna play it harder...the chords seem to sound more like a single burst. That's a gross generalization of course. Also, the painted finishes, and perhaps the sunbursts to a lesser degree seem to weigh the top down more. Less resonant, I guess.

I had a lovely 62 J-45 years ago, but let's not go there.
Old 18th May 2005
Here for the gear

what about the D-15 mahogany top and body martins. They have a real rich tone
and alot more boom then a taylor. And besides a drednaught is only like $700
or $800 bucks.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search