The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Covering panels/foam with fabric......
Old 27th September 2008
Gear Nut

Covering panels/foam with fabric......

What would you use?

A fabric that freely allows air in? with a loose weeve...

Or a tighter weeve.. I have some material in both

I have more of the tighter weeve though, would it make the bass traps and foam work less if they were covered in this fabric?

TIGHT

LIGHT..

Dan
Old 27th September 2008
Lives for gear

try holding it up to your mouth and breathing through it. Does your breath go through the fabric?

If so then go with it. If not don't.
Old 28th September 2008
Lives for gear

I've heard about going loose-weave, but for me that simply looks bad and doesn't hold the fibers in adequately.

I went with a form of Poplin that worked out really well. It's a fairly tight weave, that still breathes quite a bit. I'd go with that. I don't think it's a requirement for the material to be ridiculously open for your traps to work effectively. A bit of reflection in the highs can sometimes be a good thing for retaining life, so it's all good.

Regarding bass traps, you can cover them with almost anything and it won't matter for bass absorption. The wavelengths are too large to be affected by fabric. Having them covered by something thicker can act as a membrane, allowing for even more effective low-end absorption.
Old 28th September 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Regarding bass traps, you can cover them with almost anything and it won't matter for bass absorption. The wavelengths are too large to be affected by fabric. Having them covered by something thicker can act as a membrane, allowing for even more effective low-end absorption.
Great point and totally agree.. Just make sure you don't use those panels in the early reflection points.

Glenn
Old 28th September 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
Great point and totally agree.. Just make sure you don't use those panels in the early reflection points.

Glenn
So I can basicly cover my corner floor/ceiling traps with drywall?
Old 28th September 2008
Lives for gear

no, with a stronger kind of tissue.
Old 28th September 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixbuster View Post
So I can basicly cover my corner floor/ceiling traps with drywall?
No that might be a little to much, but like anything you really need to test it to know for sure.

Glenn
Old 28th November 2008
Lives for gear

Is there any specific frabic that has been tested by people at GIK or realtraps and that has been "approved" for good bass traping and that will be good for high freq too?
I'm in the process of building some so that's be good to know.
thanks
Old 29th November 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by matskull View Post
Is there any specific frabic that has been tested by people at GIK or realtraps and that has been "approved" for good bass traping and that will be good for high freq too?
I'm in the process of building some so that's be good to know.
thanks
Guilford of Maine Fabric Colors
Old 29th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
thanks
Old 1st December 2008
Lives for gear

Hey Glenn I'd like your opinion here.

I got some old acoustic panel for free at work, they're ugly and not the good size for my room but I'll use the 703 in them to make some new and better looking panels.

I don't have a lot of 703 though so my options are limited.
I got one panel that's 2" thick and is 4' tall by 5' long and I got another one that is also 2" thick but it's 5' tall by 1' large.

Both panel are made from two 1" piece of 703 to make them 2" thick.

I thought I'd make 4' x 2' panels cause it seems to be the standard.

I did some test recently and found that the corner of my room is the sweet spot for my drum but I still need to have more control over my room, make it more even and controlled.

So I guess I got to place a bass trap in the corner and ideally I'd put one on each wall too for a total of three.

But I'm not sure what I should do.

-one 4" thick panel plus one 1" thick
-two 3" thick panels
or
-three 2" panels

That's all I can do for now, what would you do...more thinner panels or fewer thicker panels?

Thanks
Old 1st December 2008
Gear Guru

If you are going for bass control go with

Quote:
-one 4" thick panel plus one 1" thick
If going to dampen down the high end then go with

Quote:
-three 2" panels
Honestly what you are going to need is BOTH 4" and 2" an a lot more of each. Bass control is the hardest part so start with the 4" but plan on needs more in the future. For the high end CHEAT and use thick blankets in the room for right now.

Glenn
Old 1st December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you are going for bass control go with

If going to dampen down the high end then go with

Honestly what you are going to need is BOTH 4" and 2" an a lot more of each. Bass control is the hardest part so start with the 4" but plan on needs more in the future. For the high end CHEAT and use thick blankets in the room for right now.

Glenn
Yeah I know I need more but I'm broke and I'm still lucky I got those given to me
So I ain't gonna complain hehe

That's pretty much what I thought you'd answer, better go with quality instead of quantity, at that point should I just do one 6" thick trap?
Or maybe a 4" will control as much bass as a 6" one...

I like the idea of having a little control over my high too though, that way maybe I could get a better stereo imaging, especially for the hi-hat.

My room is about 11'x13' but it's open to the rest of the basement, my floor is covered with two sheet of plywood and my ceiling is absorbtive, there's a big bookcase made of glass on one of the wall in my little room but I can cover it with a sort of theater curtain and it seems to work ok.
Old 1st December 2008
Lives for gear

Also does it matter if the 703 I got is pretty dry? (cause it's old)
Old 1st December 2008
Gear Guru

thicker is always better, but quantity (over 4") is most important. If you can use blankets for the high end then go with the 6". As you are only going to be able to make one anyway.

Quote:
Also does it matter if the 703 I got is pretty dry? (cause it's old)
I WISH RIGID FIBERGLASS got old, I would sell to my same customers over and over again , but no it is fine. heh
Old 1st December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
how wide is the bolt Glen?
Old 1st December 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
how wide is the bolt Glen?
I believe it is 66"

Glenn
Old 1st December 2008
Lives for gear

ok nice, thanks a lot
Old 17th December 2008
Lives for gear

Allright, so I did my bass trap about 2 weeks ago.

It helped me to get an ok tone from my drum with two mics only using the recorderman technique.

Now last night I tried to close mic the full kit.

It was the first time I did that with my drum, last time I fully miced a kit was with another drummer's kit which was completely different sounding than mine (he was using birch, mine is mapple), the tuning was for metal, mine is fatter, better for rock and stuff like that.

Well let me tell you this, what a disapointment.

The other drum I miced sounded pretty good but not that punchy (I fixed that during the mix though).

But mine just sounded boomy in the low mids (WAY too much), ringy, not clear at all with almost no definition, no crackle on the snare.
The kick and floor were ok though.
It sounds good when I'm behind the drum though...

This problem seems to relate to problems I get with other instrument as well.
Maybe I just got lucky with the other drum I recorded???

Does this sound like a bad room to you?

At first I would think that adding bass trap would remove even more punch but I most be wrong.

Any help would be appreciated.
My room is about 10' by 10' but there's only 3 walls so it's open to the rest of the basement.

thanks
Old 17th December 2008
Lives for gear

From what I can gather, your problem may be bass trap. As in, it's not plural.
Old 17th December 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
I would have to agree. Putting only one panel in a room is like throwing a penny in 5 gallons of water and wondering why the water level did not change. It changed, but nothing you could ever see.

Load up that room with 10 traps in corners with a few thinner panels on the walls and see what you get!!
Old 17th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'll try to post a picture of my room this week if I can find a camera but for now I'll try to explain.

My room is open to the rest of the basement like I said so in theroy I only got 3 walls that I can cover cause this little spot is my place, I can't touch to the rest of the basement cause I still live with my dad and that would piss him off if I'd cover his room my traps lol

On one of my 3 walls, one is covered with a huge library made with glass which I cover with a big and thick theater curtain.

So I now have only two walls that I could put bass traps on, one of those 2 remaining walls got a window on it, about 3 3/4' from the floor so 4" high traps wouldn't fit, I'd have to make or order them custom.

I measured the remaining wall this morning and I could fit 4 bass traps on it and probably 3 smaller one on the other wall.

Would that make a difference?
Old 17th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I would have to agree. Putting only one panel in a room is like throwing a penny in 5 gallons of water and wondering why the water level did not change. It changed, but nothing you could ever see.

Load up that room with 10 traps in corners with a few thinner panels on the walls and see what you get!!
Thanks, pretty good example lol.

Like I said while you were replying, I'll try to post a pic so you guys can see what I'm talking about and hopefully help me make a decision.
Old 17th December 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Would that make a difference?
Sure it will make a difference, but how much is hard to say. The open part is still part of the room so in theory you need traps there also. Maybe you could explain that to your dad before he gets PISSED!!

Glenn
Old 17th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sure it will make a difference, but how much is hard to say. The open part is still part of the room so in theory you need traps there also. Maybe you could explain that to your dad before he gets PISSED!!

Glenn
I sure will try and see what he says about that but he allready explainded that he wanted to keep this place for relaxing in front of the fireplace, meaning that he doesn't want me to put my amps there, maybe he wont say the same for bass traps.

But, when I walk arround punching my chess (my chess makes some deep sound when I play "drum" on myself lol) I can clearly hear that there's a low and low mid boost in my spot, there's also a lost of high, or maybe it's juste because the lows are overpowering the highs...
Old 17th December 2008
Lives for gear

I'm sorry if you've said already, but what's the ceiling consist of?
Old 17th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm sorry if you've said already, but what's the ceiling consist of?
It's 7' high and looks something like this: http://www.proacoustique.com/images/galerie_etape03.jpg (this is just a pic I found on the net, not my actual ceiling)
Old 17th December 2008
Lives for gear

If there's room above the drop, I'd replace those tiles (temporarily of course...don't worry dad) with fabric covered rock wool. As thick as you can fit/afford.
Old 17th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
If there's room above the drop, I'd replace those tiles (temporarily of course...don't worry dad) with fabric covered rock wool. As thick as you can fit/afford.
That's a good idea, the tiles in my ceiling are the soft one, do you thing it'd be worth it to fill the ceiling (under the tiles) with rock wool?

(if my dad doesn't want me to replace the tiles with "traps")

I sound like a 14 years old talking about what my dad doesn't want me to do lol, I'm actually 23 putting some money in the bank so I can afford my own house (with my studio of course) some times later.
Old 17th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matskull View Post
That's a good idea, the tiles in my ceiling are the soft one, do you thing it'd be worth it to fill the ceiling (under the tiles) with rock wool?

(if my dad doesn't want me to replace the tiles with "traps")

I sound like a 14 years old talking about what my dad doesn't want me to do lol, I'm actually 23 putting some money in the bank so I can afford my own house (with my studio of course) some times later.
it'd work better if you replace the tiles with a breathable fabric (again temporarily)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search