The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Average Build Cost - Studio Owners Advice Please!
Old 22nd November 2004
Lives for gear

Average Build Cost - Studio Owners Advice Please!

Slutz

Some of you may know, some may not that I am starting a new build in January of a space that is some 250 sqm in size.

I know this is the UK and pricing obv varies but I am after some average build costs for similar sized rooms out there.

I have a budget of £120,000 initially followed by a further £55,000 during the year Arp 2005 - 2006

I need get the lot done, room builds, tuning, electrics, air con etc etc

Is the reasonable ?

Peace

DD
Old 22nd November 2004
Lives for gear

DD -

I can't speak to labor costs in the UK but from my own experience here in the States a ground-up build was over $200 per s.f. for a 3000 s.f. facility designed by one of the top studio design firms in the U.S. Your budget and plans suggest you have about $100/s.f. to work with in the next year and $45/s.f. down the road. If you're building within an existing structure it sounds like you're in the ballpark.
Old 23rd November 2004
Lives for gear

Thanks Hud,

Yes the space is in an existing building, a basement to be precise.

Thanks for the reply.

Jules any comments on build costs, you have done a bit to your place over the last year right ????

Peace

DD
Old 23rd November 2004
Lives for gear

Our place is only about 140SqM in size (i think) and we spent £30k on our rehearsal room/studio and close to £45k on the studio we use full time.

For both 'rooms' this included (labour and materials):

- All block work with soundblocs,
- Resilient channel and soundboarding,
- Suspended ceilings
- Lighting
- 'Rough' Air conditioning
- Doors
- Windows

BUT, it's nowhere near perfect but it works and has worked for the last 3, almost 4 years.

I think your budget will be fine.

Old 23rd November 2004
Lives for gear

Cheers Rich

PS Like the Sig..
Old 23rd November 2004
Lives for gear

I am about to build out 500 sqaure feet in the states. I got a great price...but don't forget all the extras.

I am paying between $150 - $200/sqr foot for the build including

materials
floating the rooms
balancing the power
installing lights, electric
duct work to "kiss" the HVAC system
running pipes for cabling
Doors, finishing, etc.

Here's the extras list
HVAC system
Furniture
Wiring
Accessories (like a new 42" plasma, etc.)

All told, I will probably spend close to$225/sqr foot for everything. This is a pro build.

Be prepared. Get a loan. Get insurance. Get a lawyer and a good accountant. Check the references of your builder. Get a pro builder - you will spend the same amount doing it yourself and not achieve the same results.

my $0.02.

Good Luck

PS make your couch a sofa bed for when your wife kicks you out heh
Old 23rd November 2004
Gear Maniac

I just completed a build for the purpose of giving me a larger work area and adding value to my house. The space is around 400 sq. feet and cost was around $70k. I went with a regular general contractor who finished it within budget and pretty much to the day they estimated completion. The room has 2" x 6" studs, double drywall, split A/C, double paned windows and its own half-bath.

Its much, much quieter than my house although airport and railroad proximity made the economics of "total silence" rather daunting. Fortunately I never fooled myself into thinking this would be a totally 'quiet" place.

The quotes I got from other "studio designers" were about double what I paid. Although the Southern California real estate market is "crazy", I couldn't see investing that kind of jack into this house in this neighborhood at this time.

Anyhow, dunno how any of this translates in the UK. Just one person's recent building experience.
Old 23rd November 2004
Lives for gear

These are exactly what I am looking for, keep em' coming..

Peace

DD
Old 23rd November 2004
Here for the gear

Building a studio

Hi group,
I am thinking of building of building a studio next year and I have two questions. The facility I am thinking of building is about 700 sq ft. I have built much smaller studio before and was hoping to do much of the building myself this time after getting architect's plans, (but I may still have some one else do HVAC).

Questions:
I can either add this as a second floor on top of my garage or pour a slab and start from scratch. Which would be cheaper since I may have to do more floor soundproofing work as second floor. Although a slab I would have to run power to it ? Any opinions?

I really only have about $50 per square foot to spend. Judging from other comments made by folks, this almost spunds like an exercise in futuility, or can it be done? This is really more project studio and I can do framing, hanging drywall, and electrical myself.
Any more comments ?

Thansk for any help or advice,
chuck
Old 23rd November 2004
Lives for gear

Just about always 40% more than you calculate
Old 23rd November 2004
Lives for gear

Anything can be done, but with construction you get what you pay for. $50/sqaure foot will get you only so far. I would not recommend doing it yourself. It is a major project - just think:

Floating and isolating all rooms
Running electric
Running ducts
Sealed doors
Glass
Acoustic design (not just soundproofing)
Ergonomics

It's a big project. Save your money and do it right, would be my advice.
Old 23rd November 2004
Lives for gear

In the states typical prices right now would be

Ok quality - $100/sqft
Better quality - $200/sqft
Best quality - $300/sqft

I am not including design fee or cables...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search