The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Acoustic Terminology
Old 30th September 2004
Gear nut

Acoustic Terminology

Hello all,

This forum is a wealth of information for us junior recordists ( I hate the term newbie).

What I'd like to see is an explaination of a number of terms. Not what you might think. I'm talking more of the Acoustic Termonology. Maybe including MP3 examples. Like what does 'comb filtering' sound like? Or 'standing waves' or out of phase mics?

I think this would aid in helping us figure our own rooms out.
Old 30th September 2004
Gear Guru

If you want to hear some comb filtering, run your signal through a graphic equalizer and pull every odd slider up and every even slider down.
Old 30th September 2004
Gear nut

Great, that's the kind of stuff I'm looking for.
Old 1st October 2004
Lives for gear

If you want to hear the effect of standing waves:

1) play a continuous sine wave (100-150-200Hz) through your monitors and move around in your control room. Notice volume changes as you move from mix position to a corner (or even moving your head in the mix position closer to ceiling or floor !!)

2) play a very slow sweeping sine, say 20Hz --> 500Hz over 30seconds and record it. Check out the result in your fav wave editor. What should be a continous sine wave just became a picture of the grand canyon !!

Phasing: More difficult. If you have a mixing desk with a phase button on it, it's easy: send identical signals through two channels and flip phase on one.
If you don't, try to find a function in your fave wave editor that says 'phase' or 'invert' or 'negative' or whatever...
Best done with the left and right channel of drum overhead tracks. Notice how some frequencies get cancelled and others pass through.

Herwig

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search