The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Acoustic Foam in the UK
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Acoustic Foam in the UK

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a cheap source of acoustic foam in the uk to build into the walls and behind the diffusors in my studio. Does anyone know a good source that doesn't cost the earth?

Thanks in advance!

RAH
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a cheap source of acoustic foam in the uk to build into the walls and behind the diffusors in my studio. Does anyone know a good source that doesn't cost the earth?

Thanks in advance!

RAH
Can't be much help on source, but why are you building foam into the walls? That is not going to do anything.

Glenn
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Maniac

sorry i explained that wrong i'm not building foam into the walls i meant for acoustic pannels.

Can anyone help with a source PLEEEEAAAASSSEEEE!

rah....
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
sorry i explained that wrong i'm not building foam into the walls i meant for acoustic pannels. Can anyone help with a source PLEEEEAAAASSSEEEE!
Start here:

Acoustic Treatment and Design for Recording Studios and Listening Rooms

You'll read that rigid fiberglass and mineral wool are usually better than foam, and there are also lists of manufacturer web sites.

--Ethan
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Cheers ethan,

I've had a fairly reputable acoustic designer design my studio and the material he's suggested is 10cm deep acoustic foam for acoustic panels and behind the diffusors. However the manufacture he has suggested is very costly. Do you think that rigid fiberglass could do the job just as well? or even better and won't effect the 'maths' that the designer has done on the room acoustics?

RAH
Old 14th September 2007
Weird recommendation from your deisgner. Best deal I've found is at Wickes: Heavy Density Slab Insulation. £40 for a five pack of 2 x 4s
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Cheers ethan,

I've had a fairly reputable acoustic designer design my studio and the material he's suggested is 10cm deep acoustic foam for acoustic panels and behind the diffusors. However the manufacture he has suggested is very costly. Do you think that rigid fiberglass could do the job just as well? or even better and won't effect the 'maths' that the designer has done on the room acoustics?

RAH
If putting behind diffusors then YES go with rigid fiberglass or mineral wool (4" or more thick). Where most foam cuts off absorbing is pretty much where most diffusors cut off working also.

Glenn
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimskidog View Post
Weird recommendation from your deisgner. Best deal I've found is at Wickes: Heavy Density Slab Insulation. £40 for a five pack of 2 x 4s
Just Insulation Wholesale Price List for retail and trade, UK
Old 15th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Does anyone know if the frequency responce of the rigid fiberglass will be the same or similar to the acoustic foam?

Cheers

RAH
Old 15th September 2007
Gear Addict

hehthe best deal i found was foambymail.com check them ou the stuff works well and for the price cant be beat.
Old 15th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by daillman View Post
hehthe best deal i found was foambymail.com check them ou the stuff works well and for the price cant be beat.
Be very careful with that stuff. Ethan Winer (real traps) tested there product in a lab and found there numbers are just fraud. So no it does not work as well.

Glenn
Old 15th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Does anyone know if the frequency responce of the rigid fiberglass will be the same or similar to the acoustic foam?

Cheers

RAH

At around 500hz foam starts to fall off while rigid fiberglass or mineral wool still goes strong.

Glenn
Old 15th September 2007
Quote:
Just Insulation Wholesale Price List for retail and trade, UK
wow! Great site. Thamnks Phil! (and well timed as I'm just about to push the green button on a new space)
Old 15th September 2007
jho
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfipie View Post
Be very careful with that stuff. Ethan Winer (real traps) tested there product in a lab and found there numbers are just fraud. So no it does not work as well.

Glenn
Exactly.. a friend told me about this site by Ethan calling them out...

Fraud in the Acoustics Industry
Old 15th September 2007
If you want Auralex stuff, there's a bunch of places in the uk that sell it, ASAP Europe for example, but its a always a lot more expensive than US prices. StudioSpares sell Auralex and also have their own brand, which they quote to have better specs than the Auralex and is much cheaper - I bought some of it and its handy in places, but you wouldn't want to kit the whole room out with it. Better to have a variety of stuff; different depths and densities; build your broadband absorbers is the way to go if you've got a bit of time, patience and DIY skills. Do a bit more research and look into trying absorb the right frequencies in the right areas of the room.

Good luck
Old 15th September 2007
Bloody hell, that is cheap!! Encon were the best I could find at the time by a long way. They do 50mm Rocksil RS60 (like RW3 I think) for around £25 per pack of 9 if I remember right .
Old 16th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the help so far guys! But i'm still struggling to determine weather the frequency responce of the rigid fiberglass is similar/ as good as the foam? I can't understand why my designer would have suggested expensive foam otherwise? Also what is the best stuff to use from this website if it is up to the job? Just Insulation suppliers of multi-foil and traditional insulation products, UK

Thanks so much for the help.....i'm a bit lost.

RAH
Old 16th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thanks for the help so far guys! But i'm still struggling to determine weather the frequency responce of the rigid fiberglass is similar/ as good as the foam? I can't understand why my designer would have suggested expensive foam otherwise? Also what is the best stuff to use from this website if it is up to the job? Just Insulation suppliers of multi-foil and traditional insulation products, UK

RAH
Maybe your designer just does not know any better.

Glenn
Old 16th September 2007
Quote:

RAH
I think most things you need to know are here on this page Ethan posted earlier on this thread.

http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

How did your designer decide that the offending frequencies could be absorbed with foam?
Old 16th September 2007
Lives for gear

I should point out that I have not used those guys but it is the one I found and intend to use when I have decided exactly what I need! The Rockwool Sound Pro is what I'm planning on.

P
Old 18th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I was just wondering if the rigid fiberglass has the same frequency responce as the 10cm dense foam that i've been recommended?

Also PhilE what reason are you choosing that particular type of rockwoll?

Your help is much appreciated!

RAH
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was just wondering if the rigid fiberglass has the same frequency responce as the 10cm dense foam that i've been recommended?

Also PhilE what reason are you choosing that particular type of rockwoll?

Your help is much appreciated!

RAH
Basically its the one that was used in the build of a studio I use from time to time.
Sorry thats not the most helpful answer!
Old 18th September 2007
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
The specs are not frequency response, but rather absorption versus frequency. The only way to know how one product compares to another is to examine data for both. If a company does not offer data, that tells you something right there. heh

The quote below is from the Product Data page of my company's web site.

--Ethan

Quote:
One final point is the surprising number of acoustic product vendors who give no performance data at all. Testing in an acoustics lab is not free, but the cost is reasonable (about $1,000) for anyone running a real business. We're often asked how MiniTraps compare to various other products for which no data is offered at all. Think about that. Would you buy an expensive pair of loudspeakers without having any idea of their frequency response? Or a power amp with absolutely no distortion, noise, or even output power specs? Marketing acoustic panels without furnishing performance data tells consumers either "We have no idea if they actually work" or, worse, "We did test them and they're not very good."

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search