The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Acoustics question for Ethan or anybody that knows stuff. Modular Synthesizers
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Acoustics question for Ethan or anybody that knows stuff.

G'day all! I am going to get some real traps for both my control room and recording room. My control room is nearly 10 foot deep and 8 foot wide. I already have auralex treatment in my control room being 2x bass trap in rear corners and 1x bass trap in front corners plus additional auralex foam covering primary reflections etc.

Now this made a marked improvement on my room however I think it could be improved as I have a lot of trouble accurately hearing my low and low mid frequencies (partly because of my alesis m1 active mk2 monitors but I am also upragding these.... suggestions welcome...preferably something that is revealing in the low-mids to mids).

Anyway I have heard that auralex bass traps are bumbum and was wondering if I should remove them completely or could I just install 2 mondo traps on the rear corners using the optional stands (this will cover the majority of the existing auralex bass traps) or will I have to remove the auralex bass traps completely? I also plan to install a mini trap on the rear wall-roof junction also as I understand the more bass traps the merrier.

Will installing the mondo bass traps be of any advantage anyhow? Are auralex bass traps really bumbum?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers mate!
Old 10th September 2007

Get rif of the foam and use rockwool or fiberglass at about 5 pounds per cubic foot or heavier.

8' x 10' is really small. I wouldn't bother getting better speakers as they won't help. multiple sub-woofers might help some, but I can't see how you have space for anything in a room that size.

-tINY

Old 10th September 2007
Gear Guru

You could keep the auralex behind the new traps, but really what you should do is remove them and place them along ceiling to wall corners along side, back or front walls. It is more about coverage then any thing else.

Hope that helps,

Glenn
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

Get rif of the foam and use rockwool or fiberglass at about 5 pounds per cubic foot or heavier.

8' x 10' is really small. I wouldn't bother getting better speakers as they won't help. multiple sub-woofers might help some, but I can't see how you have space for anything in a room that size.

-tINY

You and I posted just about at the sametime and not that you are wrong, but those bass traps won't hurt the room so he mine as well use them.

Glenn
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Thanks for your replies.

Yeah, I know 8 x 10 is small but it's the best I got so it will have to do. I am dissapointed to hear that better monitors will be of no help

I will try to move the auralex bass traps to your suggested location but I put them up with tubetak (IDIOT!). That stuff really works! I will probably tear the crapper out of the traps.

Thankyou both for your time.

Cheers mate!
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddlepop lion View Post
I will try to move the auralex bass traps to your suggested location but I put them up with tubetak (IDIOT!). That stuff really works! I will probably tear the crapper out of the traps.

Thankyou both for your time.

Cheers mate!
I think your ok to leave them there. It will help the trap extend down lower.

Glenn
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddlepop lion View Post
I have heard that auralex bass traps are bumbum and was wondering if I should remove them completely or could I just install 2 mondo traps on the rear corners using the optional stands
LENRDs are okay above 200 Hz or so, but they're no match for "real" bass traps. My standard advice for people who already have LENRDs is to move them to wall-ceiling corners, where they're easier to hang than MiniTraps or MondoTraps, then put our traps in the wall-wall corners.

--Ethan
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post
use rockwool or fiberglass at about 5 pounds per cubic foot or heavier.
If you sold microphone preamps, and someone posted a question here about your preamps, I would never tell them to make their own.

--Ethan
Old 10th September 2007

I believe your product meets that spec....

My only thought is that space is at a premium in a room that small and the most effective materials should be employed.

If I sold pre-amps and someone had quiet enough ones with enough gain for their purpose, I wouldn't be inclined to suggest they replace them: Not much of a salesman, I suppose.......

-tINY

Old 10th September 2007

Looks like I mis-spoke again...

The OC 703 seems to have better absorbtion properties at about 3 pcf in the denser stuff by the same manufacturer. I can't find data that says anything about other types of semi-ridgid insulation. (And Ethan seems to have done his homework.....)

Bottom line is to use whatever gives you the best performance in a tight space like that. If price is an issue, then don't get rid of anything, reuse it. Mondo traps in each wall-to-wall corner and all around the ceiling would be a good way to go (and all arond the corner of the floor if you have the space...).

-tINY

Old 11th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Thanks Ethan and tINY. Your help is always appreciated. I am ordering the traps as I type so I will let you know how I went.

Cheers mate!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search