The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help with Studio set-up...Pic Included Dynamics Plugins
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Nut

Help with Studio set-up...Pic Included

Hi Everyone,

First of all want to say thanks to everyone in this forum so far that has helped me make my studio decisions. I am now coming to point where I am going to move my gear out of bedroom and into a room dedicated for the studio.

I am wandering if anyone could help me with a few questions in regards to building my studio. I have attached the floor plan of the room.

DESCRIPTION:
It is a small room of about 12m2 area. On side 1 as seen there is a window. There are 2 wooden doors also indicated on side 2(middle) and 3. I am using near field monitors.

QUESTIONS:

1.BASS TRAPS
Currently I am installing DIY bass traps from bottom to top in each corner. My question is other than the corners where are the most effective and economical positions to place the traps on the side walls. Should they sit elevated off the ground ie middle of the wall? Behind or infront of the speakers or both? Should I have a trap on the ceiling?

2. CERAMIC TILES
I liked this room as the dimension aren't not exactly square shaped which I've been told is a good thing. However the bad thing is that it has ceramic tiles which I am presuming will cause reflection?
Question is it worthwhile placing a thick rug over the tiles? Could this lead to a boomy room as only the highs and mids would be absorbed?

3. POSITIONING OF MONITORS AND DESK
Last question is I am not sure where to position my monitors and desk. That is which side should I be facing? Should the monitors be as far from the wall as possibe etc? I read somwhere the monitors should be near the smallest side in my case it is 2. However as you can see the door is in the middle which is a bit akward. For room this small will it matter?

To add I have separate stands for the monitors.

I REALLY REALLY appreciate anyones input. Thank you for the assistance.

Kind Regards,

Karvan
Attached Thumbnails
Help with Studio set-up...Pic Included-studioplan.jpg  
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_karv View Post
It is a small room of about 12m2 area.
What are the actual dimensions?

Quote:
My question is other than the corners where are the most effective and economical positions to place the traps on the side walls.
The front and back walls are usually more important than the side walls. Basically, the more bass trapping you have, the closer you'll get to a flat response.

Quote:
is it worthwhile placing a thick rug over the tiles? Could this lead to a boomy room as only the highs and mids would be absorbed?
Hard to say without being there, but ceramic tiles are highly reflective. I suggest you experiment with throw rugs and see where that takes you.

Quote:
I am not sure where to position my monitors and desk.
See this article on my company's site:

RealTraps - How To Set Up a Room

--Ethan
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_karv View Post

3. POSITIONING OF MONITORS AND DESK
Last question is I am not sure where to position my monitors and desk. That is which side should I be facing? Should the monitors be as far from the wall as possibe etc? I read somwhere the monitors should be near the smallest side in my case it is 2. However as you can see the door is in the middle which is a bit akward. For room this small will it matter?

To add I have separate stands for the monitors.

I REALLY REALLY appreciate anyones input. Thank you for the assistance.

Kind Regards,

Karvan
GIK Acoustics - Education

This should help you with most of the set up in that room. Is it really squ?

As Ethan said bass trapping is going to work best in the corners, but if you are forced to use walls also then you would want to space the bass trap off wall the same thickness as the panel. This will not work as well as straddling a corner but it is better then nothing. heh

Glenn
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search