The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Carpet in the mixing room? Dynamics Plugins
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Addict

Carpet in the mixing room?

I am building out a studio in my attic and looking to save about $3k by opting for carpet instead of hardwoods. I record guitar close-mic'd in an iso-box, vox in an iso-booth, bass DI and will not be recording live drums. The only reason I could see to worry about hardwoods vs. carpet is during mixing, so...

How much will having carpet in the room instead of hardwoods (with strategically placed area rugs) hurt the sonics of the room when it comes to mixing??? I was going for hardwoods so the room wouldn't be too dead, but I still have a lot of walls, ceilings, and angled ceiling lines, so would the carpet really be that big of a deal?

Thanks,
RA
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonant Alien View Post
I am building out a studio in my attic and looking to save about $3k by opting for carpet instead of hardwoods. I record guitar close-mic'd in an iso-box, vox in an iso-booth, bass DI and will not be recording live drums. The only reason I could see to worry about hardwoods vs. carpet is during mixing, so...

How much will having carpet in the room instead of hardwoods (with strategically placed area rugs) hurt the sonics of the room when it comes to mixing??? I was going for hardwoods so the room wouldn't be too dead, but I still have a lot of walls, ceilings, and angled ceiling lines, so would the carpet really be that big of a deal?

Thanks,
RA
It is normal to have a hard floor and a soft ceiling- but it is difficult to say except to speak in generalities.
Carpet absorbs high end frequencies much better than low end frequencies.
Adding carpet to a room will mean you need more bass trapping to balance the room.
I have a rug in my mix room though- it doesn't cover the entire floor of course but I don't notice much of a difference with it there or not.
Carpet on the whole floor- you might find the room to be a bit muffled.
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonant Alien View Post
looking to save about $3k by opting for carpet instead of hardwoods.
Go for it, and put the savings into bass traps and other acoustic treatment. heh

Seriously, carpet is fine in a control room, as long as it's on the floor and not on the walls too. If you need a reflective floor once in a while, buy some pre-cut 2x4 plywood or MDF at Home Depot and lay them over the carpet. You can leave them against the wall or in a closet when not needed.

--Ethan
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Guru

You might try half and half thats what i did, if i want to go full carpet just lay a pirce down over the hardwood. my wood is manily under the drums only, surroundings are caepet.
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
Go for it, and put the savings into bass traps and other acoustic treatment. heh

Seriously, carpet is fine in a control room, as long as it's on the floor and not on the walls too. If you need a reflective floor once in a while, buy some pre-cut 2x4 plywood or MDF at Home Depot and lay them over the carpet. You can leave them against the wall or in a closet when not needed.

--Ethan
GREAT IDEA!!!!!!!!thumbsup

Glenn
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Addict

bump. Any other opinions?

Tx
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Nut

Could you go for a decent laminate floor? It would be floated, which MAY have some benefit. Any pro want to chime in about this?
Old 26th August 2007
Traditionally in an old school control room, you would want to roll easily from one end of the console to the other and roll over to any outboard gear racks. Carpet doesn't suit a lot of rolling around on an office chair..

But if you have everything to hand right where you need it, then you might be lucky and not tear up your carpet...
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

I stand up when i mix - so I actually prefer carpet.. cosy for yer little toes in december.
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

I'd say, some sort of a hardwood floor is more convenient...Problems with carpet could be the chair rolling (as per Jules' comment), carpet fibres curling up in the wheel bearings of your chairs, harder to maintain and keep a lush carpet clean...
Used to have carpet in my old home studio...got rid of it because of those issues...
RR
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Maniac

static charges can build up pretty easily with carpet too. do the carpet if you want in the back of the room but put in a wood 'dancefloor' by the console.
Old 27th August 2007
Here for the gear

laminate

any other opinions on why not to get laminate? its chaep and goes down easy, what are the potential problems with it.

|-<>-|
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Maniac

laminate? like pergo? it'll look like crap after a few months & sound pretty bad. there was a thread on here recently about it, in the last week or so?
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

It's almost impossible to keep a carpet clean in a commercial facility.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

An attic floor? It's probably hard wood already - why do you estimate $3K? Are cosmetics ultra important to you? A thin layer of plywood, sprayed with polyurethane would work.

If you don't intend to roll around on a chair, carpet is ok. While technically it is a small compromise in the high end, practically every listening environment is going to have carpet, so don't sweat it. You'll be monitoring with nearfields, right?
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

IF the ceiling is high go for difusers in the ceiling and corner traps both in the ceiling corner and wall corners - and some absorbers infront of the kit cat.
Old 27th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiburger View Post
If you don't intend to roll around on a chair, carpet is ok.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Carpet tiles....As has been scientifically proven,sometime someone is going to vomit on your floor..you can just look down your nose at them with a light heart because you have a batch of replacement tiles waiting under the stairs.

Also this means that you can experiment with how much floor to cover...AND you can chose a lighter shade carpet than you'd normally go for (see vomit sentence above..) and these light, energy giving colours will interact with your brain allowing you to work longer hours with mysteriously happy clients.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaper View Post
Carpet tiles....As has been scientifically proven,sometime someone is going to vomit on your floor..you can just look down your nose at them with a light heart because you have a batch of replacement tiles waiting under the stairs.
When we did my last commercil room in 1987, I expressly asked the carpet dealer to think of someone ingesting a pepperoni pizza and a 6-pack of beer, then chucking it all up 45 mins later, he got "Real" close.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search