The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
GIK acoustic's vs realtraps Diffusion Products
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

GIK acoustic's vs realtraps

anyone have any of the gik traps? they are FAR less in price than realtraps. what is the difference between the 2?
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

GIK acoustics are the better one - and I know this - it's a fact-

If you see a person holding a cat and keeping a grin that could make your mother turn bad - run

GIK rules!
Old 23rd August 2007
I've had 4 of those TriTraps for a few months now & they're great. I have checked the Spl of my room & it looks great on paper. I just did this last week & haven't had a chance to mix anything to see if it translates but I'm sure it will. Before I checked the sound pressure levels my mixes were okay & only needed a little tweaking.
I also have other mid & high frequency absorbers in my room too. I've never been in a real traps room before but GIK stuff is doing quite well for me. The customer service is great too. He answered my questions & told me to send them a pic & dimensions of the room & he'd help me figure out the best place to put the absorbers.
No I don't work for them, I just love quality at an affordable price.
I also own a business so good customer service is important to me.
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgreatriver View Post

If you see a person holding a cat and keeping a grin that could make your mother turn bad - run

tutt dude please.

Say what you want about gear or maybe customer service, but to just make fun of someone is just way out of line. Ethan Winer has done so much in helping people, free of charge may I add, with room acoustics, that I find it distasteful for a comment like that.

Sorry to be harsh, but it had to be said.

Glenn

PS. If I am reading your comment wrong then I am sorry.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
GIK acoustics are the better one - and I know this - it's a fact-

GIK rules!
Ethan winer has been very helpful to many of us, me included. I bought some of his traps and I think they work great. He's a nice guy and cares about the quality of recorded audio.
DaveT
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear maniac

This thread is ridiculous and needs to be removed immediately.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

who is Ethan Winer?

You lost me there... sorry
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Ethan rocks and you suck. check yourself, say your sorry before you have an entire community after you.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
who is Ethan Winer?

You lost me there... sorry
He's the guy with the cat!!!
DaveT
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Ethan is a very helpful guy. I have seven of his traps.

Next I'm going to buy some GIK stuff (the tricorner bass traps) since I want portable traps to put in my living room when I track drums and guitars and stuff.

The best of both worlds.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

ohhh

man's - sorrie cherrie

my friend who is a slut said i should write something about a cat and suck

sorry

buy the cat and the wall foam

you will have no corner problems

sorry again

flat down to 20hz
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfipie View Post
tutt dude please.

Say what you want about gear or maybe customer service, but to just make fun of someone is just way out of line. Ethan Winer has done so much in helping people, free of charge may I add, with room acoustics, that I find it distasteful for a comment like that.

Sorry to be harsh, but it had to be said.

Glenn

PS. If I am reading your comment wrong then I am sorry.
Very classy post Glenn! Ethan and yourself are both great assets around here.
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear nut

How unfortunate indeed, the direction this thread has taken. The garbage from "greatgreatriver" is completely unnecessary, and is nothing more than trolling. I think a quick look at his other posts here at GS will easily confirm that. (The one about ribbon mics is priceless! heh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedman72 View Post
anyone have any of the gik traps? they are FAR less in price than realtraps. what is the difference between the 2?
I think both companies' products have their place in the market. GIK really have the price/performance thing down very well, and Glenn is really a super guy to deal with -- and I really do mean that, as I know him personally, and have dealt with him on certain business matters as well.

The GIK traps perform very well, and are extremely affordable -- and that's a good thing for a LOT of people.

RealTraps, on the other hand, also perform very well . . . and, while they are indeed more expensive, they have a much nicer fit and finish. RealTraps are built to withstand the kind of abuse that may occur in commercial studio environments, and even with some abuse, they will look nice for many, many years to come. They should be considered a lifetime investment. RealTraps panels also have a Class A fire rating, which we believe is an important issue for both commercial installations and home installations. Another benefit of RealTraps is that they are much easier to hang in many different configurations, or to mount on various types of stands, etc., than the GIK traps (this is something that has been reported to us by a number of our customers who own products from both companies).

Our products can be found in many top studios and high end installations (both commercial and home installations), and many top pros come to us because they know they will get excellent, reliable advice on treating their rooms, and they know that our products are of top quality.

For just a few examples, we recently sold a room full of MondoTraps to one of the top A&R guys at Warner Brothers. He has $100,000 worth of audio gear in his office and wanted the best treatment he could get. NBC Universal purchased 50 MondoTraps from us for their post rooms. Paramount Recording, Chesky Records, and many other top studios use our products. The Chief AE at Avatar Studio has room full of RealTraps in his personal mixing room. Charles Dye uses RealTraps. Nile Rogers uses RealTraps in his "The Crib" studio. Tascam purchased an entire room full of RealTraps panels for their studio where they produce their Giga sample sets. There are many more.

Before Ethan founded RealTraps, there were essentially NO high quality/high performance/properly effective bass traps available on the consumer market that were even close to reasonable prices for most people. There were lots of products that claimed to be bass traps that might have been in the relatively affordable range, but nothing that were truly high performance bass traps that were accessible at relatively affordable prices for most people. RealTraps changed that, and suddenly more people were able to afford to have high performance bass traps they so desperately needed in their rooms.

For years before Ethan founded RealTraps, he was extremely active in various Internet forums and in writing articles about the importance of acoustics treatment, and most particularly bass trapping. Ethan has probably done more than anybody to get the message out about how incredibly important acoustics treatment is. Indeed, even though he sells bass traps, he has continued to freely give DIY advice for people who wish to save some money and build their own bass traps.

As a result of Ethan's efforts, the market for high performance acoustics treatments has grown greatly. Another result of Ethan's efforts to educate people is that a number of other companies have sprung up to answer the demand for even more affordable bass traps and other acoustics treatments -- and that is a GOOD thing, because EVERYONE who is interested in creating critical listening and recording environments NEEDS bass traps. Some of these companies simply would not exist had it not been for Ethan's efforts and the education he has provided.

So, as Glenn pointed out above, it really makes no sense whatsoever to attack someone personally who has given so much back to the industry.

Ethan also has a great many years of experience as a professional musician, in building his own studios from the ground up, as a recording engineer, designing audio electronics, and essentially all aspects of audio, and is uniquely qualified to advise people with regard to audio and acoustics treatment.

As I said before, both companies' products have an important place in the market. It's probably less relevant to ask which company's products are "better" than it is to ask which company's products and services are best for ME. What is MOST important is that, no matter what your particular place in the market and what are your needs, everyone can obtain high performance bass trapping/acoustics treatment. And it is now possible for everyone to get some excellent advice for addressing their particular acoustics needs . . . it isn't limited to people who are able to invest big bucks on having an acoustician on site and constructing purpose-built rooms.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

I own products from both companies and feel that both products perform at the same level. I will echo some of what Scott said.

If you are on a budget and want the most bang for your buck then GIK is the way to go. If you want a more polished look and feel to the trap to impress high profile clients that are visiting your $1M facility, then RealTraps may be the product for you.

Having had plenty of experience hanging both products in my room, they are both equally easy to install. The RealTraps does have more hooks for hanging, so probably would require less creative thinking for a non-standard installation.

The RealTraps website is probably one of the best resources out therefor setting up absorber panels (RealTraps, GIK, ReadyTraps, DIY, whatever) in a room. My only complaint is that I wish that both companies would provide alternate mounting recommendations for those of us that live in earthquake prone areas. There's no way I'm hanging a MondoTrap in a ceiling corner with two molly bolts! Forget it.

Brad
Old 24th August 2007
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
My only complaint is that I wish that both companies would provide alternate mounting recommendations for those of us that live in earthquake prone areas. There's no way I'm hanging a MondoTrap in a ceiling corner with two molly bolts! Forget it.
Buy a stud finder (they are very cheap these days) and tap directly into the studs, and perhaps use heavier gauge picture hanging wire if needs be.

If they still fall down mounting them like that, you probably have bigger things to worry about than your panels falling.

Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah, the dude is a troll, and those comments were totally uncalled for. Personal attacks should not be tolerated around here.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

thanks for all of the info guys. i am looking at both the gik 244 and the tri-trap. can anyone comment on them?

how well do the tri traps work in the corners?

is it worth it to go with 4 tri traps in the front corners over 4 244's?

how much does a single tri-trap weigh?

i guess i should just contact gik...duh..
Old 24th August 2007

GIK Acoustics is the s**t! Excellent product and support.

Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

First compare the build quality and material, Gilford fabric is $22.00 a yard.
If in a commercial building this is the only fabric I would use, has the highest and REQUIRED fire rating.
The least expensive are the DIY.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

I hope it's not too late to say I'm sorry -- I didn't know who ethan was when I posted the first post. Sorry!

but then again - GIK is better - I know that it's a fact. They have better technology behind their wall absorbers etc... and the design is much nicer. If you gonna put something on the wall - let it shine! Real Traps are the second best... There can only be one winner -
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
I hope it's not too late to say I'm sorry -- I didn't know who ethan was when I posted the first post. Sorry!

There can only be one winner -
I've read two of your posts today where you first write a stupid, provocative statement and then just write another to inform everyone how deeply sorry you are...

Please at least stand by your own word !...

And no, there can be multiple winners...

Old 24th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosebleedaudio View Post
First compare the build quality and material, Gilford fabric is $22.00 a yard.
If in a commercial building this is the only fabric I would use, has the highest and REQUIRED fire rating.
The least expensive are the DIY.
Actually we are going to replace our European Linen fabric upgrade with Gilford, just for all the reasons you pointed out.

Glenn
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
I've read two of your posts today where you first write a stupid, provocative statement and then just write another to inform everyone how deeply sorry you are...

Please at least stand by your own word !...

And no, there can be multiple winners...

Thank you I agree - I made error on this forum - I'm really sorry

I made this drawing for you - hope you can forgive me.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Hahahahahaha!

This made my day.

Grizzly, I envy you!
Old 24th August 2007

Quote:

Funny stuff...
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
I've read two of your posts today where you first write a stupid, provocative statement and then just write another to inform everyone how deeply sorry you are.
No kidding. I wonder how he "knows for a fact" what traps are better than what other traps. I bet he doesn't even know what a bass trap is or what it does. LOL, anyone who chooses a screen name like "Dim Light" obviously has self-esteem issues! heh

Okay, we can now resume our usual scheduled programming.

--Ethan
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Guru

[QUOTE=James 'LA' Lugo;1455626]GIK Acoustics is the s**t! Excellent product and support.

QUOTE]

A rack of GREAT guitar amp heads. PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!

Glenn
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

This thread made my day, thanks to all involved.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

I don't know the GIK products and can't offer any opinions there. I do have Realtraps Minitraps and can say that they are spectacular.

Professionally finished with vented, riveted metal frames. Perfectly tight fabric. Very high quality appearance. And the performance is equally as impressive. With other inexpensive 'fiberglass' traps I have had in here, bass tones would still drag along into some dull muddy mess, about as bad as with no trapping. And those cheap traps just killed all the midrange and low treble as well, made for a very unnatural, unpleasant sound for tracking or mixing.

With the Minis, I finally found out that slogging bass in one song I was fighting to master was actually a whole series of rapid, distinct bass notes. Never heard that before.
Working with these in the room is like being in s-l-o-w m-o-t-i-o-n. All the details laid out on a table in front of you, waiting for you to decide how to assemble them into a song. No annoying echoing distractions. And the midrange/treble stay like they are supposed to, these traps do not mess with them at all.

No connection with any room treatment company here. Whatever you buy, just do buy something. IME, spending money on anything else in your studio is a wild guess, until you get the bass in control.

Steve
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegybug View Post

With other inexpensive 'fiberglass' traps I have had in here, bass tones would still drag along into some dull muddy mess, about as bad as with no trapping. And those cheap traps just killed all the midrange and low treble as well, made for a very unnatural, unpleasant sound for tracking or mixing.

Steve
i hope this quote does not apply to the gik products.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search