The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
GIK acoustic's vs realtraps Diffusion Products
Old 22nd January 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicwind View Post
That amp is a Mesa Lonestar. I know this is a stupidly old thread, but I was looking into some traps today and read through it.
Speaking of cats, one of the leading mastering engineers, Bob Katz, uses Gik products in his room, so I doubt cost is the only issue with these. I am likely going to use a combo of both Gik and Real. The custom art panels look amazing, and may sneak past my better half!
Yes this thread is over 7 years old. Since this time we have updated with a lot of new products, opened a plant in Europe, did a redesign and now have patent pending on our products. Needless to say most people do not buy our products on price alone.

Last edited by Glenn Kuras; 22nd January 2015 at 06:06 PM..
Old 23rd January 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumin View Post
Can RealTraps panels be painted? Perhaps with some kind of fabric dye or other type of paint?
I just remodeled and did a new paint job on the walls and the off-white panels don't match the color theme at all.
Anybody?
Old 23rd January 2015
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumin View Post
Can RealTraps panels be painted? Perhaps with some kind of fabric dye or other type of paint?
Yes, dye or watercolor paint is fine. For our corner bass traps you could use regular paint since the fabric on those panels doesn't need to be "acoustically transparent."

--Ethan
Old 27th January 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
Yes, dye or watercolor paint is fine. For our corner bass traps you could use regular paint since the fabric on those panels doesn't need to be "acoustically transparent."--Ethan
Thanks Ethan, any tips as to a retailer who sells these fabric dyes. I'm assuming a fabric/craft retailer?...
Old 27th January 2015
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

You can buy Rit brand fabric dye at any supermarket or crafts store:

Rit® Liquid Dye

I imagine that would be fine.

--Ethan
Old 5th February 2015
Here for the gear

Hello Ethan,first of all congratulation for you work,i really appreciate and read it,so here is what i have:
Room Size (width x length x height) in centimeters
360 x 680 x 240
I use this room for mixing & mastering!
I would like to know where should i place the diffusors (i plan to use Quadratic Diffusor)
Someone made me a sketch on how should i place the accoustic treatment and where to place diffusor,but i'm a little sceptical,and i want your opinion,here is the link with the sketch http://i58.tinypic.com/spj6dd.png
Also here is my room response with behringer ecm 8000 : http://i59.tinypic.com/1zl9i5k.png

Should i place them how is in the sketch room photo,or should i place them on the back wall from listening position?Please keep in mind that on the back wall i have a door in the middle but i can still put diffusers in the left & right of the door if it improves more my room acoustics!

Thank you!
Old 5th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by baross View Post
I would like to know where should i place the diffusors (i plan to use Quadratic Diffusor)
Someone made me a sketch on how should i place the accoustic treatment and where to place diffusor,but i'm a little sceptical,and i want your opinion,here is the link with the sketch http://i58.tinypic.com/spj6dd.png
Also here is my room response with behringer ecm 8000 : http://i59.tinypic.com/1zl9i5k.png

Should i place them how is in the sketch room photo,or should i place them on the back wall from listening position?Please keep in mind that on the back wall i have a door in the middle but i can still put diffusers in the left & right of the door if it improves more my room acoustics!
Assuming standard LEDE/RFZ design; diffuses on rear wall, not on the side walls (unless room is very long or possibly rotated 90 degrees so they don't scatter energy back to the sweet spot within the ISD-gap). More here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/8295482-post3.html

Also:
Old 5th February 2015
Here for the gear

[QUOTE=Jens Eklund;10791222]Assuming standard LEDE/RFZ design; diffuses on rear wall, not on the side walls (unless room is very long or possibly rotated 90 degrees so they don't scatter energy back to the sweet spot within the ISD-gap). More here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/8295482-post3.html

Thank you for your answer,my room is 700cm long,360cm wide,and high is 250cm
Old 5th February 2015
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Jens already gave you the right answer. Which is why I suggested you post here in the forum! heh

--Ethan
Old 6th February 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Jens already gave you the right answer. Which is why I suggested you post here in the forum! heh

--Ethan
Thank you for your support Ethan & Jens,i will put them on the rear wall,i also have a door in the middle of the rear wall,is it ok to place them one to the left of the door and one to the right of the door?The size of the two diffusers will be 700 x 700 mm each and it will action like this:
- scatter at 264hz,diffuses at 529hz and HF cutoff at 5733hz

Thank you!
Old 6th February 2015
Gear Guru

Put another one on the door too! :D

--Ethan
Old 7th February 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Put another one on the door too! :D

--Ethan
Ethan should i use Rockwool 100mm thickness 90kg/m3 density for bass traps,or higher density and same thickness?
Old 7th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ethan should i use Rockwool 100mm thickness 90kg/m3 density for bass traps,or higher density and same thickness?
Which Rockwool for studio panels, German website doesn't show densities
Old 8th February 2015
Here for the gear

Thank you,i cannot really get the answer from the links,could you please help me choosing the right mineral wool,my room is (width x length x height) in centimeters
360 x 680 x 240
Here is my room response with REW & Behringer ECM 8000, http://i59.tinypic.com/1zl9i5k.png
I have bass traps in all 4 corners (for the moment i have only the boxes of the bass traps & the boxes of early points reflection boxes) now i need to know what mineral wood (density,thickness) is the best for my needs,back to the boxes,here is what i have:
- 4 Boxes from the ground to the ceiling in all 4 corners;
- 1 behind the desk (big one) about 240cm is placed where the wall meet ceiling;
- 3 on the left,right & ceiling (the sweet points);
- 2 on the back side walls;

Here is how i wanted to put the mineral wood:
For the bass traps in corners & for the one behind the desk where the wall meet ceiling,i wanted to use Rockwool 100mm thickness and 90kg/m3.
For the absorbers of first reflection points left,right,up and the 2 of back side walls i wanted to use Rockwool 100mm at 50kg/m3.

Is it this ok for what my room needs?

I also have different density to chose from 30kg/m3 to 150kg/m3 with different thickness,i just want to get a simple answer,what is best for the corner bass traps and what for early points absorbers based on the measurements i have done with REW.Thank you for your support and sorry for my bad english!
Old 8th February 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Thank you,i cannot really get the answer from the links,could you please help me choosing the right mineral wool,my room is (width x length x height) in centimeters
360 x 680 x 240
Here is my room response with REW & Behringer ECM 8000, http://i59.tinypic.com/1zl9i5k.png
I have bass traps in all 4 corners (for the moment i have only the boxes of the bass traps & the boxes of early points reflection boxes) now i need to know what mineral wood (density,thickness) is the best for my needs,back to the boxes,here is what i have:
- 4 Boxes from the ground to the ceiling in all 4 corners;
- 1 behind the desk (big one) about 240cm is placed where the wall meet ceiling;
- 3 on the left,right & ceiling (the sweet points);
- 2 on the back side walls;

Also i want to put on the rear wall 3 skyline diffusers (500hz - 5725hz) each one has the ground plate 36 x 36 cm,do you think it will help me?

Here is how i wanted to put the mineral wood:
For the bass traps in corners & for the one behind the desk where the wall meet ceiling,i wanted to use Rockwool 100mm thickness and 90kg/m3.
For the absorbers of first reflection points left,right,up and the 2 of back side walls i wanted to use Rockwool 100mm at 50kg/m3.

Is it this ok for what my room needs?

I also have different density to chose from 30kg/m3 to 150kg/m3 with different thickness,i just want to get a simple answer,what is best for the corner bass traps and what for early points absorbers based on the measurements i have done with REW.Thank you for your support and sorry for my bad english!
Old 9th February 2015
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Ethan should i use Rockwool 100mm thickness 90kg/m3 density for bass traps
Sure that's fine, though even thicker is better still.

---Ethan
Old 9th February 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Sure that's fine, though even thicker is better still.

---Ethan
Thank you for your answer so i have option for Rockwool 90kg/m3 with thickness 100mm,120mm & 150mm, is too much 150mm?
Old 9th February 2015
Lives for gear

Which Rockwool for studio panels, German website doesn't show densities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Eklund View Post
If you read the posts linked to, you´ll figure it out.

You need to move your attention away from “density”, and focus on the “flow resistivity” and depending on thickness of the panels, choose an appropriate value. All you need to know are in those links.
Old 10th February 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thank you for your answer so i have option for Rockwool 90kg/m3 with thickness 100mm,120mm & 150mm, is too much 150mm?
It can never be to thick when it comes to bass trapping, but at 150mm I would use 45kg/m3 if not even less dense.
Old 10th February 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
It can never be to thick when it comes to bass trapping, but at 150mm I would use 45kg/m3 if not even less dense.
For corner bass traps is ok 40kg/m3 at 150mm or 90kg/m3 at 120 or 150mm?Witch one is more efficient?I already have 40kg/m3 at first reflection points and in back side walls.I want the best option for my room needs http://i59.tinypic.com/1zl9i5k.png ,thank you!
Old 11th February 2015
Gear Guru

90kg/m3 is good, and as thick as you can manage. No need to over-think this! heh

--Ethan
Old 12th February 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
90kg/m3 is good, and as thick as you can manage. No need to over-think this! heh

--Ethan
Thank you Ethan,the last question,i plan to make diffusers on the rear wall where is placed a door in the middle of the wall,now i have 2 options:
1. Make a Skyline diffuser: frequency low 500hz & frequency high 5750 and the groundplate will be 36cm (in that case i could put one on the door because it fits) and i will make a total of 3 diffussers each at 36 cm;
2. Make a Quadratic Residue Diffuser : Scatter 264hz Diffuse 529 Hz HF cutoff 5733Hz period width in this case will be 65cm and in that case i could make only 2 because it does not fit one on the door to;

So which option will work better for my room needs?Thank you all for your great help!
Old 12th February 2015
Old 12th February 2015
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
1. Make a Skyline diffuser:
I prefer skylines for the ceiling, and regular 1D QRD diffusers on the walls.

--Ethan
Old 12th February 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Thank you for the link,i get it,but what would you recommend me to do,because i have a door in the middle,and i don't think i could put diffuser on the door,i have attached pic with my rear wall and with distances,distance from the sweet point to rear wall is it 500cm,i'm planing after i read from the link you give me to make 1D QRD,but i want your opinion where to place them right,i will try to put one little on the door to,but is it ok if it has space between diffusors?
Attached Thumbnails
GIK acoustic's vs realtraps-img_0395.jpg  
Old 13th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you for the link,i get it,but what would you recommend me to do,because i have a door in the middle,and i don't think i could put diffuser on the door,i have attached pic with my rear wall and with distances,distance from the sweet point to rear wall is it 500cm,i'm planing after i read from the link you give me to make 1D QRD,but i want your opinion where to place them right,i will try to put one little on the door to,but is it ok if it has space between diffusors?
Make the best of the situation; cover as much area as possible (at least around ear height, about +/- 0,6 to 0,9 or so meters up/down). Check the ETC, and if needed; add some porous stuff on the door.
Old 13th February 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
No need to over-think this!
+1
Old 13th February 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Make the best of the situation; cover as much area as possible (at least around ear height, about +/- 0,6 to 0,9 or so meters up/down). Check the ETC, and if needed; add some porous stuff on the door.
Thank you,now i'm facing another problem,Ethan recommended me for bass traps on corners mineral wool 90kg/m3 with 120mm thickness,problem is that i cannot find this density,would it be ok if i use 40kg/m3 with 60mm thickness and put 2 of them one above other?Or what do you think is best suited for my room?
P.S. i cannot put more than 120mm thickness;

I have attached pictures with my room see it from the back and from the front;
Room Size (360 W x 680L x 240H) in centimeters;

Also here is my room response tested with Behringer Ecm 8000 and REW: http://i59.tinypic.com/1zl9i5k.png

Please help me choosing the right density for bass traps and the right one for first reflection points.Thank you so much for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
GIK acoustic's vs realtraps-img_0400.jpg   GIK acoustic's vs realtraps-img_0399.jpg  
Old 13th February 2015
Here for the gear

Ok,here is what i have decided to put in corner bass traps:
- ROCKWOOL AIRROCK HD HIGH DENSITY - 70 kg/m3 - roughly equivalent to OC703 with thickness 140mm; because i have seen that this is suited best for what i need,as you can see in attached pic i have some problems from 100hz to 500hz;

And to first reflection points i want to use:
- ROCKWOOL AIRROCK HD HIGH DENSITY - 70 kg/m3 - roughly equivalent to OC 703 with thickness 100mm;

What do you think about this configuration?
Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
GIK acoustic's vs realtraps-rew.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search