The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
GIK acoustic's vs realtraps Diffusion Products
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfipie View Post
Actually we are going to replace our European Linen fabric upgrade with Gilford, just for all the reasons you pointed out.

Glenn
when is this going to start ?
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
No kidding. I wonder how he "knows for a fact" what traps are better than what other traps. I bet he doesn't even know what a bass trap is or what it does.
I know for a fact he doesn't know for a fact what a bass trap is or what it does.

Sorry, just trying to get a Napoleon Dynamite-esque picture with my name on it...
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedman72 View Post
when is this going to start ?
We can do it now if you would like. Just give me a call I guess. Not sure when it will be on the website.

Glenn
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
i hope this quote does not apply to the gik products.
That was with a different mfgr's bass traps. As I already said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegybug View Post
I don't know the GIK products and can't offer any opinions there.

Steve
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Guru

I am male and personally love our two cats to death. I am actually thiinking about going to Olan Mills for a "family" portrait myself. So Ethan is a ok in my book.

Cats are so much easier to deal with than dogs. Dogs are like having a 5 year kid that nevers grows up. That being said I still want a dog again eventually.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfipie View Post
We can do it now if you would like. Just give me a call I guess. Not sure when it will be on the website.

Glenn
will this push the price point up?
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgreatriver View Post
I made this drawing for you - hope you can forgive me.

That drawing is priceless! I think I'll have some T-shirts made!
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrue View Post
That drawing is priceless! I think I'll have some T-shirts made!
Please send me one, I guess I deserve it !...
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Real traps rock.
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
Dogs are like having a 5 year kid that nevers grows up.
Cats are like a two year old. They do become mature though. Sort of like like an idiot savant. heh

Quote:
That being said I still want a dog again eventually.
Me too.

--Ethan
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
will this push the price point up?
No more then what we charge now for the European Linen, I would think.

Glenn
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Guru

Animus wrote:
"Dogs are like having a 5 year kid that nevers grows up."

Here is my 5 year old.

Old 25th August 2007
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
anyone who chooses a screen name like "Dim Light" obviously has self-esteem issues! heh

--Ethan
If you dislike personal comments, you should probably refrain from doing psychological evaluations of other members based on username, as a response to their evaluations based on avatar.

Gustav
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

yup, great point

seems to me there is an unhealthy dose of humour-bypass in this topic

maybe it's too dry for some folks?
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Smile

Both, Glenn and Ethan, are two of the most helpful and knowledgeable people on this forum and although I only have experience with Realtraps, I wouldn't hesitate to buy GIK products, as well. However, the Minitraps I put up in my CR made the biggest difference in the way my mixes translate on other sound systems. It's one of the best investments I've ever made and I can just higly recommend them. thumbsup
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgreatriver View Post
GIK acoustics are the better one - and I know this - it's a fact-

If you see a person holding a cat and keeping a grin that could make your mother turn bad - run

GIK rules!

dude, WTF!!!!!

tutt
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
anyone have any of the gik traps? they are FAR less in price than realtraps. what is the difference between the 2?

the price difference is because they are made differently.
I believe that the Real Traps have a resonating membrane, which some people believe is more effective.
I believe that the GIK traps do not have this. Although I am sure that they are very good products for the money.

if anything i said above is incorrect please me know.

Both Glen and Ethan are great people to deal with.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

The 2 products are, as has been said, different. Both provide good performance. There are quite a few people that actually use a combination of both.

Our products also use the mebrane effect to good use but in a different way. We feel that ours offer an advantage because we can offer a single configuration which provides enhanced low frequency performace and still has enough high frequency absorbtion to be used for reflections without overdeadening the room.

Our goal is to provide the best performance possible at a reasonable price point. We could make them look fancier - but that wouldn't make them perform any better.

As for the personal sniping, I find it quite silly personally. While I appreciate the positive comments about our products, taking pot shots at competitors or just other individuals isn't our style. Ethan has been around a long time and has provided a lot of good information to a lot of people over the years.

Bryan
Old 25th August 2007
Jai guru deva om

When we needed an effective bass trap line (all we had was foam for the longest time so nothing to really suggest!) I realized that Glenn & GIK is in Atlanta which is just a few hours from here. He seemed like a cool guy, and we spoke on the phone a bunch until finally I drove down there to check out his manufacturing facility. The things I learned were:

GIK panels are built very well, a nice and simple design and being able to hang it like a picture was something most of our customers would enjoy

Glenn is always thinking about new products and interacting with his customers to continuously re-invent what they do and find out what others need

His philosophy was one of helping the customer and suggesting minimum setups to start with, reminding the customer that they can always add more later (which fits my philosophy when selling as well)

Everything is tested independently, and those test results stand up with the best competing products on the market (those at double and quadruple the price, reference Rod Gervais' book "Home Recording Studio: Build It Like The Pros" and Rod's fondness for GIK products, and also his fondness for Real Traps)

Glenn is the front man in a rock band called The Cogburns (I've seen their shows here in Columbia, fun...and the club owner treats them like royalty with limos, separate rooms...the works)

Glenn will let you crash at his house for half the weekend if you just hang around way too long

Glenn wakes up at like 5am (like some kind of old guy) and starts drinking coffee, while I haven't even entered the REM stage

He and Ines love sushi...!

Needless to say, I was impressed and am even more impressed the longer we deal with GIK and their products. This is NOT anything against Real Traps or any other trap supplier, Glenn just fit our needs and the needs of our customers so we simply have looked no further and see no reason to.

My $0.02

War
Attached Thumbnails
GIK acoustic's vs realtraps-meglennsmall.jpg  
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

with the gik traps, is there supposed to be a inch or 2 of an air gap between the wall and the panel when hung? if so , what keeps the panel away from the wall?

does anyone have a close-up shot of the mount on the back of the panels?
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

There is no need for trying to rig up a way to space our panels off the wall. Our panels are designed and built with the air gap already built in. This allows for easy hanging and a clean flush look while still getting the benefit of the additional spacing of the absorbtion.

Bryan
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Guru

Just to add to Bryan's comment. If you do want to space it off the wall further then you can cut a piece of PVC pipe (or just about any thing) to 4" and slip it between the wall the panel. The weight of the panel will keep it in place.

Glenn
Old 26th August 2007
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
with the gik traps, is there supposed to be a inch or 2 of an air gap between the wall and the panel when hung? if so , what keeps the panel away from the wall?

does anyone have a close-up shot of the mount on the back of the panels?
Here's a close up I just took for you of one of my panels, there is one of the eye-screws (you run picture wire between 2 of them to hang on the wall typically) and notice the air gap (didn't measure but it's about 1.5") from the wrapped mineral wool to where the frame will meet the wall.

In my experience when a 242 panel says 4"...that is 4" of mineral wool plus about an extra 1.5" or so of frame behind it for a total depth of 5.5". The Monster panel says 6", but will be roughly an 7.5" depth including the airgap behind etc.

Sorry for the bad quality pic!

War
Attached Thumbnails
GIK acoustic's vs realtraps-gik-back-jpg.jpg  
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Buy a stud finder (they are very cheap these days) and tap directly into the studs, and perhaps use heavier gauge picture hanging wire if needs be.

If they still fall down mounting them like that, you probably have bigger things to worry about than your panels falling.

My stud finder is GOOGLE. I found GIK a couple of years ago online and have had the chance to talk with Glenn a couple of times and he is awesome. Great guy, very helpful. Never worked with Ethan but i've spent hours reading his posts, information on his website, etc. I think both Realtraps and GIK have done a lot to help improve our ability to get access to good information and good products.

by the way guys - very classy how you stick up for each other and won't take cheap shots. Makes me want to work with you even more!thumbsup
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

thanks for the shots war.

and thx for all of the info to all.

ill pm the gik rep.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Both Glen and Ethan are serious class acts (as they've both once again demonstrated in this thread) and both companies offer excellent stuff.

Having said that - I've got 19 GIK bass traps at last count in my room and they offer a ton of bang for buck - great product and great service.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellotron View Post
Both Glen and Ethan are serious class acts (as they've both once again demonstrated in this thread) and both companies offer excellent stuff.

Having said that - I've got 19 GIK bass traps at last count in my room and they offer a ton of bang for buck - great product and great service.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Hey do you have some more pictures you can send me to [email protected]? Doing a update to our site..

Thanks,
Glenn
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear
[quote=myfipie;1456643]
Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
GIK Acoustics is the s**t! Excellent product and support.

QUOTE]

A rack of GREAT guitar amp heads. PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!

Glenn
having a mind blank here. someone remind me what the top head is.
Old 1st January 2014
That amp is a Mesa Lonestar. I know this is a stupidly old thread, but I was looking into some traps today and read through it.
Speaking of cats, one of the leading mastering engineers, Bob Katz, uses Gik products in his room, so I doubt cost is the only issue with these. I am likely going to use a combo of both Gik and Real. The custom art panels look amazing, and may sneak past my better half!
Old 22nd January 2015
Gear Nut

Can RealTraps panels be painted? Perhaps with some kind of fabric dye or other type of paint?
I just remodeled and did a new paint job on the walls and the off-white panels don't match the color theme at all.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search