The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Opinion on Auralex?
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Maniac

Opinion on Auralex?

Musicians friends is having an end of summer clearance sale. They are selling the Auralex Studio Foam Designer Kit for $99. 32 1'x1'x2" panels. Included is 2 tubes of tubetack

Anyone have an opinion on Auralex? Is it worth it? I know they don't list the specs of the products so I'm looking for some real world opinions?

-ScottyD
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyD View Post
I know they don't list the specs of the products

???? Every Auralex catalog since the dawn of time has listed specs for their product!
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Maniac

Okay, is that an opinion on the product or pointing out that I missed something?
I'm looking for opinions on the product.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear
The panels you're talking about are Ok for spot treating and taming a little high end, but that's about it.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

I think the lenrds are effective cornor traps.
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
They are selling the Auralex Studio Foam Designer Kit for $99. 32 1'x1'x2" panels. Included is 2 tubes of tubetack
That's a good deal, and Auralex works fine for mid and high frequencies. But you'll definitely need something more substantial than foam for bass trapping in the corners.

--Ethan
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Picking up auralex at cheap prices and using it creatively is a good strategy for basic home studio treatment.

I got the same deal on the Auralex a while back and used the foam to create this totally modular and portable set of gobos/vocal booth...
Attached Thumbnails
Opinion on Auralex?-img_0902edit.jpg  
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PheelTheMusic View Post
Picking up auralex at cheap prices and using it creatively is a good strategy for basic home studio treatment.

I got the same deal on the Auralex a while back and used the foam to create this totally modular and portable set of gobos/vocal booth...
Great idea!!!

+1 on the reflections spot treatment. This stuff is pretty useless for 180hz and below.

And, I wouldnt use the lenerds either. 703 and mineral wool is so freakin cheap!
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Nut

I love auralex for the reason as far as cost effective products they are one of the best. Depending on ur needs and again they are good about giving u specs and info on placement vs needs. Ive been a user since they were USAFOAM and back then all they had was foam.
Really when ur doing a do it ur self sound treatment get educated you will be surprised how much stuff you can build urself at very little cost. Study designs and look through articles on sound treatments. I use foam for spot treatment and for my home made gobos which are as good as the expensive ones for about $35 per 3 x 4 ft gobo. Rock wool is great stuff but only if its inside something cause this ichy stuff makes fiberglass insulation seem like cotton quilting. And in the end use ur ears to find out whats happening or not happening in ur given space.
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Maniac

in my experience auralex will work fine...you just need a LOT more of it to really make a usable difference, but it does nothing below 200hz or so. I switched to 705 rigid fiberglass panels & cornering from atsacoustics.com

i finally could tell the difference it made in my monitoring setup...huge! seriously....forget about that new preamp for a little while,and spend that $500 on out fitting your room with as much room treatment as you can. It looks impressive to clients....IMO even more so that a few pieces of gear.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Okay, is that an opinion on the product or pointing out that I missed something?
I'm looking for opinions on the product.

That (my previous post) was pointing out that you missed something. This is an opinion on the product:

They're very convenient for people who aren't too handy at DIY projects, but not particularly impressive in the cost/performance department. And they'll disintegrate over time, such that even if you do feel that their products are aesthetically acceptable now, in 3-5 years you'll be kicking yourself because your foam blocks look like a cat has been using them as a scratching post.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

That has not been my experience. 10 year old Lenrds and starburst, no problems with mine.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Laborer View Post
That has not been my experience. 10 year old Lenrds and starburst, no problems with mine.

I'll bet you don't have windows in your studio, right?

Foam disintegration is a result of exposure to the ultraviolet component in sunlight...so for most caves, uh, er, I mean, control rooms, it's not an issue.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

No, actually I have windows. And lots of blistering Tx heat. Just my experience, YMMV.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Head

I scored a bunch of used 2" 2x4 panels on ebay (be cautioned, I could see how 1x1 panels would be incredibly tedious to install). I also bought 4 of the 4' high bass traps, because I wanted something portable (I used the temp tabs for the most part for the panels). I'm pleased with their performance, but I'm no expert--it made a huge difference in my room. If you can get them for cheap enough, you can save yourself some work. Do yourself a favor though, and read up as much as you can about their purpose and specific placement--all the sound treatment you can buy will do you no good if you use it incorrectly.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search