The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New denser drywall Audio Interfaces
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Maniac

New denser drywall

Home Depot just started selling this super dense heavy drywall that's supposedly moisture and mold resistant, it's feels like that durock board but thicker and comes in larger sheets 4x8. Looking at it it seemed perfect for blocking sound, anyone know anything about it?
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

You're not thinking of Aquapanel are you?
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

Not sure the name but it's like a cement board and it's around the same price as drywall and seems like it would block sound ten times better than drywall.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Guru

You may want to find out the name of it and see if there is a STC sound rating on it.

Glenn
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokemusician3 View Post
...seems like it would block sound ten times better than drywall.
If it's truly that much better at stopping sound than drywall, it must be WAY heavier as well... and that is a transportation and installation concern. One 4'X8' panel of 5/8" firecode sheetrock is something like 85 pounds or so... that's already a b*tch and a half to deal with, even for two people... especially after having to install like 50 panels in a row. Dealing with a 4'X8' panel that is say over 100 pounds would be a real back breaker. This new stuff you have discovered sounds interesting, but my initial thought is that sheetrock still may be the way to go. Any 4'X8' panel that is physically heavier than a 4'X8' 5/8" thick panel of sheetrock is going to be a pain to deal with. Or, you could perhaps get 4'X4' panels (half the weight per panel), that would help, but then more seams, increased installation time, etc. Sheetrock is pretty good stuff overall when you consider the STC verses the overall ease of installation, ease of cutting and finishing, etc.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
One 4'X8' panel of 5/8" firecode sheetrock is something like 85 pounds or so...
is it really?

no wonder i had such a bitch of a time hanging drywall by myself.
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Maniac

he's talking about something like this.....this is just one brand/style: James Hardie: HardieBacker 1/4'' backerboard

it's meant to be backerboard for tile. I don't think that it's much heavier than drywall, which means that it's probably not much denser and won't be much better for what we as engineers and hobbiest engineers would want it for.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironklad Audio View Post
is it really?
no wonder i had such a bitch of a time hanging drywall by myself.
Actually, a 4'X8' panel of 5/8" sheetrock is closer to 73 pounds. Sorry about the accidental exaggeration above. My memory was a little rusty. I just checked my notes now to clarify.

I had weighed various construction materials a while back so as to not overload my cargo trailer. This is what I came up with... maybe not dead accurate, but accurate enough:

All 4"X8" panels:
½" sheetrock = 54 pounds
5/8" sheetrock = 73 pounds
¾” plywood = 64 pounds
¾" OSB = 75 pounds

Side note: I've found that building a decoupled wall, one side with 2-layers of 5/8" sheetrock and the other side with one layer of 5/8" sheetrock, does a pretty darned good job of isolating sound per dollar... that is of course if it's all decoupled right and air-tight, no "weak links" such as bad doors, windows, etc. For average use, this seems to be a decent STC per dollar scheme for "semi-pro" studio set-ups on a budget.
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Maniac

I actually lifted some up today. it is about as heavy as drywall, but each sheet is smaller.....at least the ones I picked up. It may be a better alternative to drywall. someone should check into it.
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Aquapanel is basically drywall made of concrete instead of gypsum. It's mainly designed for use in high-humidity environments such as bathrooms as a ceramic tile backer.

It's usually sold in much smaller sheets though. For practical reasons as much as anything else. This stuff is HEAVY. And you can't cut it with a knife as you would gypsum drywall, you'd need a rotary diamond saw. Couple this with the cost and the time/hassle fator rapidly outweighs any acoustic benefit.
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

there is a new 'paperless' drywall as well.... which i imagine is slightly heavier, but should be the same size
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Guru

that shower-stall stuff is a pain to work with. Also while it might be big on mass, it is also rather rigid. It might transmit more sound than regular sheetrock.

there's also QuietRock
which is specifically made for soundproofing. I believe it has a layer of plastic between layers of gypsum.

They claim it is acoustically equivalent to 8 layers of conventional drywall.

Some of the acoustics guys around here dispute that and said it is closer to 2. (Do a search for "Quietrock" here on Gearslutz) If it is closer to 2, then putting up 2 layers of regular drywall is a hell of a lot cheaper.

In quantity Quietrock is about $40-50 per sheet, regular drywall is what- 10 bucks a sheet?

Sometimes you just can't make the walls any thicker though.
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Home Depot just started selling this super dense heavy drywall that's supposedly moisture and mold resistant, it's feels like that durock board but thicker and comes in larger sheets 4x8. Looking at it it seemed perfect for blocking sound, anyone know anything about it?
You don't mean this do you?

FIBEROCK Brand Aqua-Tough Gypsum Interior Panels

Heavier, and denser than regular 5/8's. Great for outdoor ceilings... Pain in the ASS to hang though.
Old 26th August 2007
PDC
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
that shower-stall stuff is a pain to work with. Also while it might be big on mass, it is also rather rigid. It might transmit more sound than regular sheetrock.

there's also QuietRock
which is specifically made for soundproofing. I believe it has a layer of plastic between layers of gypsum.

They claim it is acoustically equivalent to 8 layers of conventional drywall.

Some of the acoustics guys around here dispute that and said it is closer to 2. (Do a search for "Quietrock" here on Gearslutz) If it is closer to 2, then putting up 2 layers of regular drywall is a hell of a lot cheaper.

In quantity Quietrock is about $40-50 per sheet, regular drywall is what- 10 bucks a sheet?

Sometimes you just can't make the walls any thicker though.
It's not plastic between the sheets.

For budget's sake, I say multiple layers of gyp board and green glue.
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Its called DensArmour Plus paperless drywall, it's highly mold resistant/fire resistant and does weigh about 1/3 more than drywall. I think it's just denser drywall.

http://www.gp.com/BUILD/product.aspx?pid=4659

I can't see how drywall weighing more would be a bad thing just work harder or if you can't handle it quit trying to be a diy for everything and hire pros who routinely hang 5/8 16ft sheets of drywall.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

I'd agree with PDC. 2 layers of 5/8 and Green Glue does a great job for less money.

Notice that the Quiet Rock has several different grades. The stuff they claim has the 6 or 8x rating (which I really doubt) is very very expensive.

Bryan
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Its called DensArmour Plus paperless drywall, it's highly mold resistant/fire resistant and does weigh about 1/3 more than drywall. I think it's just denser drywall.

http://www.gp.com/BUILD/product.aspx?pid=4659

I can't see how drywall weighing more would be a bad thing just work harder or if you can't handle it quit trying to be a diy for everything and hire pros who routinely hang 5/8 16ft sheets of drywall.

I am a pro. Music is the hobby.

The stuff SUX. It's main purpose is moisture areas. It's the GP version of the USG brand I posted a link to above. If I had a house in Florida, and wanted an outdoor ceiling, or new shower walls, that would be the stuff I use.

If I were finishing the inside of a studio, I would use 2 layers of 5/8's with green glue. And If that wasn't gonna cut it, I would sandwich a layer of 3/4 RMAX between the for more isolation.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Will have to look more into the FIREROCK drywall.

also....has there every been any tests of Green Glue vs acoustic caulk or Green glue vs silicon caulk?? I saw a few tests on their site, but nothing vs other sealant type compounds. only one compare to an unknown adhesive.

Soundproofing Topics
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Comparing Green Glue to regular building caulking products is pointless because GG isn't designed for caulking and caulk isn't designed for constrained layer dampening. Apples and oranges.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

how could it be pointless? Apples and oranges? any facts to support this opinon?
I'm talking about using other sealant type compounds just as you would use Green Glue.

Independent Third Party Transmission Loss Reports
Green Glue -vs- Conventional Adhesive

also
Quote:
Q:What is the STC (sound) rating on DensArmor Plus® paperless drywall?
A:STC ratings fro DensArmor Plus® paperless drywall are the same as ToughRock® gypsum board wall and ceiling assemblies.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

I posted more info on the Green Glue thread but I'd look into using cheap Butyl caulk, it stays sticky and does not harden so it acts as an adheasive damper like green glue. Butyl is the caulk used to make up insulated glass units and if you ever had to cut an old broken one apart you would see that the Butyl stays soft - rubbery - sticky for decades (just the properties you look for in a damper).
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Head

Green Glue alternatives

I think there definitely has to be something else out there that is chemically similar to Green Glue...

As you pointed out on another thread, GG is latex based, and there are lots of latex based adhesives/caulks/sealants on the market that probably would perform almost as well as GG for a fraction of the cost.

I'm going to be putting up two layers of drywall on my furnace room to block the sound from leaking into my soon-to-be studio room. When I find a suitable product on the cheap, I'll be going that route instead of GG. I'm still looking though.

Jaymes
Old 15th December 2007
Here for the gear

Another option for stc rated wallboard

This is actually a promo for my company, so don't get too mad.
We just got our STC rating for GreenEboard. Visit Green E-Board : A green alternative for underlayment and backer board to see what this stuff is.
In case you don't click the link, it is an MgO based cementitious wall board and tile backer. Our 1/2" board has an STC by itself of 31, compared to 27 for 1/2" gypsum board. Our product won't grow mold and mildew naturally (Ph level or something like that) has no VOCs, cuts with a regular utility knife, and if you install it over an acoustic caulk bed on an existing wall, you will get a good sound wall.

The other cool thing about accidentally finding this forum is that I am an amateur musician and songwriter (never published, but some people like my stuff, and I am trying to expand my knowledge on getting the most out of my MIDI keyboard and my computer, so I will be back to learn from you guys.
Later!!
Old 16th December 2007
Lives for gear

Tread carefully with Green Glue alternatives. The GG Guys have done their homework and have documentation to support their product. Using Liquid nails or equivalent is basically rolling the dice and possibly creating a less sound-proof wall.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search