The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Small live room acoustic treatment...
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Small live room acoustic treatment...

Me again

So with some changes to accomodation here, I'm looking to renovate a new live room... It's a small room - bout 13ft by 11ft, standard 8ft ceilings...

Had a search and a read, a lot of advice re. small rooms is to bass trap as much as poss. etc... I use Realtraps in control room, planning same for live room, but my question is this:

Looking into possibility (structural engineer coming to visit next week) of substantially raising the roof height... all the beaming would remain in place but roof may be raisable to about 20ft, with a slope on one side...

Would this make a worthwhile difference in a room this small? My thought is it would reduce comb filtering on drum OH's and nasty bounces between wooden floor & ceiling (would put some traps on the ceiling obviously, but it'd be a lot further away!)...

Any thoughts? Am I wasting my efforts or poss. big improvement in store??!

Iain
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

i think could be of some help, but i wonder if it is worth the expense. how much would a project like that set you back?
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

You could also hang an acoustic cloud about 4" from the ceiling. This would make the overheads on drums sound much better.
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Maniac

no idea yet re. cost... just a thought so far - that's what the structural engineer friend is for heh
Above the live room is just unused attic space, hence my thoughts...

I wondered about acoustic cloud on the 8 foot ceiling, but was worried the ceiling would become pretty low once you have treatment on the ceiling??!

Any more thoughts??!
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain Hutch View Post
Looking into possibility (structural engineer coming to visit next week) of substantially raising the roof height... all the beaming would remain in place but roof may be raisable to about 20ft, with a slope on one side...
In a room that small I wouldn't bother. No matter how high the ceiling, it's still a small room because of the other dimensions. I agree with johnwayne to use absorption. That gives very similar results to a high ceiling, for 1/100th the cost. heh

--Ethan

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search