The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Acoustic problems (bass dip)
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Acoustic problems (bass dip)

I just setup my little project studio and have figured out the room issues to some degree. The most obvious problem is a big hole in the bass (40hz-200hz) How would I go about fixing the hole. It doesn't have to be perfect, but right now its making the setup borderline non-functional for mixing. I'm sick of running to the car and other check points. Thanks.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Bass traps and moving your monitors around usually helps.

Neil
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Guru

Here are a couple things to get you started.

1) Make sure your monitors are firing down the longest wall. You would be facing the shortest wall.
2) Put your mix spot (where you sit) 38% of the room length.
3) Treat as may corners as you can with bass traps that use rigid fiberglass or mineral wool.

Check out GIK Acoustics - Education for room set up and how acoustics would work within your room.

Glenn
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Nut

I'm sure this has been asked over 100 times, but I searched and I get nothing but weird random threads...

What is software I can use to measure the frequency response in my room (the diagnostic wave graphs that have been posted). What are the basics to performing this test? Mic selection and placement? And what are the basics of reading and diagnosing the results.

I have a Macbook Pro and a few mics (condenser or dynamic) to choose from.
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotsoul4u View Post
The most obvious problem is a big hole in the bass (40hz-200hz)
I'll bet you $100 the problem is even worse than that. In order to see the true response in your room you need to measure at a high resolution, like 1 Hz intervals or 1/24th octave. Regardless, the solution is always bass traps. And speaker placement and orientation as was already advised.

Note that time-related problems are just as important as the raw response. This article on my company's site explains more about room measurement and low frequency ringing:

RealTraps - Optimizing Acoustic Treatment using ETF

--Ethan

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search