The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recommended cloths/fabrics to cover mineral wool for slat walls etc
Old 16th September 2020
Here for the gear

Recommended cloths/fabrics to cover mineral wool for slat walls etc

For my studio I am tearing down the wood from all walls and ceiling, stuffing all empty spaces with mineral wool, and covering it with *insert cloth here*. Then slats over that.

So for the cloth part, the most common thing to use around here (in Norway) seems to be woven glass fiber (glava glassfibervev/akustikkduk). One single roll of the stuff is 80% of my budget right off the bat. So not doing that if I can't find a particularly crazy deal

My main demand is that it's not fragile enough that you can poke a hole through it, and that it's both acoustically transparent and works as a barrier against the glass fibers and dust and all that junk.

My "emergency solution" if I can't find a reasonable solution that doesn't hinder air flow, is to use Hunton wood wool insulation on the outer parts, and glass fiber behind it, and then just regular cloth, although obviously fireproof, over that. It's a little more expensive than just glass fiber insulation, but if I end up spending less than I would on special cloth stuff then that's fine of course.
Old 16th September 2020
Lives for gear
Used coffee bags.
Old 17th September 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
Used coffee bags.
That would smell amazing.
Old 17th September 2020
Deleted 56021e5
CARA Camira is a good solution, it is not crazy expensive and has a good pallet of colours available. The fabric is not easy to tear apart.

https://www.someacustica.com/product...acustico-cara/

Maybe what you are looking for is something different like an acoustical veil ?

This will be more difficult to find, maybe get a national supplier of acoustical panels in Norway and ask them if they can supply it to you
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear

Weed cloth is quite cheap (vevd jorddekke in Norwegian). It is breathable, light weight but still strong. As you will have slats over it, a flashy colour may not be that important (?). The flashy colours to chose between are usually black, grey or white from garden stores etc. I bought mine at Biltema which you also have in Norway. https://www.biltema.no/fritid/hage/p...kke-2000021389

Note: This one does burn if you put a lighter to it in free air but I doubt it would burn readily, squeezed between insulation and slats. You can of course spray the cloth with sodium metasilicate (= waterglass), Nitor's is about EUR 35:- for 5 liters. Another one would be Exfire's: https://www.dafo.se/globalassets/dok...del-exfire.pdf
Old 17th September 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhoc View Post
Weed cloth is quite cheap (vevd jorddekke in Norwegian). It is breathable, light weight but still strong. As you will have slats over it, a flashy colour may not be that important (?). The flashy colours to chose between are usually black, grey or white from garden stores etc. I bought mine at Biltema which you also have in Norway. https://www.biltema.no/fritid/hage/p...kke-2000021389

Note: This one does burn if you put a lighter to it in free air but I doubt it would burn readily, squeezed between insulation and slats. You can of course spray the cloth with sodium metasilicate (= waterglass), Nitor's is about EUR 35:- for 5 liters. Another one would be Exfire's: https://www.dafo.se/globalassets/dok...del-exfire.pdf
I have been curious about exactly this, as well as the glass fiber "barkduk" that I see some places. It's more expensive, but still 1/10th the price of the Glava product. Have you seen the glass fiber stuff before, or have you used the stuff you linked for this purpose before?
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

I used the black weed cloth from Biltema. It served what I wanted; breathable, easy to handle, quite strong and affordable price. "Barkduk" as you mentioned is made of polypropylene (often abbreviated to "PP"), not glass fibre. So if you wish to be careful / follow code, that one also needs to be sprayed with a flame reeeeetardent.
Old 18th September 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhoc View Post
I used the black weed cloth from Biltema. It served what I wanted; breathable, easy to handle, quite strong and affordable price. "Barkduk" as you mentioned is made of polypropylene (often abbreviated to "PP"), not glass fibre. So if you wish to be careful / follow code, that one also needs to be sprayed with a flame reeeeetardent.
I swear I saw some rolls of glass fibre stuff. But yeah, I'mma fire ****** (Is that a sentence?) some weed cloth!
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear