The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Low density mixed with high density
Old 9th August 2020
Lives for gear

Low density mixed with high density

Hi,

I have a pallet full of 75kg/m3 Rockwool that I would like to use for treating a small control room. I will build floor to ceiling 30cm deep traps on back and side walls. My plan is to put one layer of this rigid rockwool closest to the wall and put a thick layer of fluffy on top of it.

Looks good in the calculator but are there any other issues I should be aware of? Impedance etc?

http://www.acousticmodelling.com/mli...=100&v14=50000

I know I could do the full depth with fluffy but it would be great if the rigid/semirigid stuff could be used here.

Best,
Calle
Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear

Anyone?
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

I’ve read all I can here and cant find an answer to this
Old 15th August 2020
Here for the gear

In practice, it seems that most folks put the higher density material on the front of the panel... the reverse of what is proposed here.
I personally had good success using a layer (3") of Safe N Sound (GFR of ~10k) in front of 21" of Pink Fluffly.

These calculators may not be very accurate, especially for more complex scenarios such as mixing materials. BTW, I prefer the Komatsu model over the default model of the online calculator.

To be honest, real life testing is the only to be sure.
See here:
Porous Absorber Calculator.. Accuracy issues?l
Old 16th August 2020
Lives for gear

Thanks for your answer!

Doing the opposite, putting the denser material on the front doesnt look good:

http://www.acousticmodelling.com/mli...4=220&v14=5000
Old 17th August 2020
Gear Nut

Surely the fluffy less dense material is at the front, to capture/absorb the sound's very high frequencies.

What's left then hits the harder stuff, which is more reflective of high frequencies.

Any reflected high frequencies then bounced back and absorbed by the fluffy layer.

That is how I am going to build mine.

No chance of me putting the the hard/dense stuff at the front.
Old 17th August 2020
Lives for gear

We’re on the same page - the calculator shows practically the same result with the inner dense layer as compared to the whole depth with just fluffy.

http://www.acousticmodelling.com/mli...4=300&v24=5000

So I cant see the inner rigid layer making anything worse - maybe even some positive effects? Membrane effect?

The only negative I’ve read is about impedance - is that an issue here?

Last edited by stenerlov; 17th August 2020 at 03:36 PM.. Reason: Link added
Old 17th August 2020
Gear Nut

I reckon the rigid, i.e. denser/heavier layer will absorb more low end - as the graph shows.
Old 18th August 2020
Lives for gear

Having the denser material deeper provides a more gradual transition of the resistance, therefor less reflections
Old 18th August 2020
Lives for gear

This is the rear wall - 10cm 75kg/m3 (Rockwool RedAir) closest to the wall and then 20cm fluffy (Isover Piano).
Attached Thumbnails
Low density mixed with high density-fcf65fc9-dabc-4dc9-b852-766b9c10060d.jpg   Low density mixed with high density-3b310de3-1294-45f6-bc31-e9dd08f84166.jpg  
Old 18th August 2020
Lives for gear

One of the side walls with dense inner layer
Attached Thumbnails
Low density mixed with high density-a4f1d422-b830-4be4-ac3e-dd20d8101295.jpg  
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear