The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Vicoustic Bass Traps not doing anything in the room?
Old 19th July 2020
Gear Head

Vicoustic Bass Traps not doing anything in the room?

Hi,

I have just moved into a new place and purchased Vicoustic super bass extremes for the front wall. 6 of them. 3 on each side.

The room is 3 meters x 3.6 meters x 2.4 meters. The desk is on the 3 meter wall.

Listening position at 38% from the front wall. Amphion One15 speakers equilateral triangle to the listening spot at 1.05 meters. Also there are 4 absorbers in the room. 1 on each side on first and second reflection points. Also 2 on the back wall side by side.

I am waiting for a new desk, so things are a bit temporary. But from my measurements I think the bass traps aren't working at all.

Would you please take a look at the REW measurement? (added as a zip file because it's bigger than allowed side

I have made 3 tests.

1 - All panels in place. (6 bass traps + 4 absorber panels from an unknown european company. Quite happy with them.)

2 - No panels in the room

3- Just the bass traps.

Using Isemcon EMX-7150 measurement mic facing the speakers as can be seen in the photos.

Is it just me or are they just useless?
Attached Thumbnails
Vicoustic Bass Traps not doing anything in the room?-img_3469.jpg   Vicoustic Bass Traps not doing anything in the room?-img_3472.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Rew mixing room.mdat.zip (12.35 MB, 20 views)
Old 19th July 2020
Lives for gear

Looks like you have plenty of room for a cloud... I had a giant benefit from basically building bass traps into my ceiling joists... in your room, you could hang them maybe...

Anyhoo... I’ll let the experts speak now!
Old 19th July 2020
Here for the gear

On the spectrogram tap I see a big peak on 116hz. Comparing that between left, no panels and bass trap only, it seems to work well to tame that room mode, the tail going to stopped at 250ms vs 400ms without traps.

And on the same page, if you go to control, normalize to peak at each frequency, you can see something at 100hz too. On both no panels, you see a long line just below 50hz, but that may be a fridge running - I see mine at 49hz.

To me it seems to work well at the tuned frequency of around 120hz, reducing the time it takes to drop it below 40dB. All decay times improved, but it also made a few more room mode more visible, like that 140/280hz peak - figure out which wall/corner/ceiling (?) it is, it can use some taming.
Old 20th July 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booinky View Post
On the spectrogram tap I see a big peak on 116hz. Comparing that between left, no panels and bass trap only, it seems to work well to tame that room mode, the tail going to stopped at 250ms vs 400ms without traps.

And on the same page, if you go to control, normalize to peak at each frequency, you can see something at 100hz too. On both no panels, you see a long line just below 50hz, but that may be a fridge running - I see mine at 49hz.

To me it seems to work well at the tuned frequency of around 120hz, reducing the time it takes to drop it below 40dB. All decay times improved, but it also made a few more room mode more visible, like that 140/280hz peak - figure out which wall/corner/ceiling (?) it is, it can use some taming.

Thanks for the info. I actually haven't checked the Spectogram page before. I only checked Waterfall and SPL. And while Waterfall shows change in decay, to me it looked much higher frequency range than it should be affecting. And yes, I looked at the Spectograms, and there seems to be an obvious change. But,

Do you think they are working as they should? Or we are nitpicking to find a couple of things that are different in the graphs? I mean, is this a good amount of change? They were very expensive :D Trying to figure out if to keep them or send them back and get something else.
Old 20th July 2020
Here for the gear

I myself am a newbie so sorry - don't have much experience what is expected. My DIY rockwool test totally failed so at least this thing is doing something... What I learned so far is that bass trapping is super tricky and difficult to measure, most vendors don't even dare to publish absorption coefficients.

Also, decibels are tricky. -3 dB is already halving power, -6 dB is quartering, so everything shows up as tiny changes.
Old 21st July 2020
You will get a lot more bang for your buck if you straddle the corners from floor to ceiling.

1. Your corner traps don’t go all the way up so some frequencies only have to pass through the trap once and then they fly up into your ceiling corner.

2. don’t put hard surfaces at your first reflection points (side and back walls)

3. Angle the traps from the floor to the wall and you will see better results than propping them up on boxes.
📝 Reply