The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Air gap realistically better than fill??
Old 18th July 2020
Air gap realistically better than fill??

From the last few weeks of research, it seems the general advice for airgap or no airgap is to fill as much as you can. But I've been playing around with the multi-layer calculator online, and it looks like 200mm porous + 200mm air is significantly better in the 60Hz to 200Hz range vs full 400mm fill. Is this true or are the results different when measured in reality? See graph here

It looks like full fill doesn't get that much more effective until you hit 20Hz or so, which I'd say is much less important than 60Hz-200Hz..
Old 19th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiedaniels View Post
From the last few weeks of research, it seems the general advice for airgap or no airgap is to fill as much as you can. But I've been playing around with the multi-layer calculator online, and it looks like 200mm porous + 200mm air is significantly better in the 60Hz to 200Hz range vs full 400mm fill. Is this true or are the results different when measured in reality? See graph here

It looks like full fill doesn't get that much more effective until you hit 20Hz or so, which I'd say is much less important than 60Hz-200Hz..
Really?

Look at the comparison attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Air gap realistically better than fill??-screen-shot-2020-07-18-10.09.21-pm.jpg  
Old 19th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
Really?

Look at the comparison attached.
But you’re comparing w different materials. Is safe n sound not good for deep traps?
Old 19th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiedaniels View Post
But you’re comparing w different materials. Is safe n sound not good for deep traps?
For the deeper traps 12" and more fluffy is better.

For traps between 6"-12" Safe and Sound.

For 4" traps, Rockboard 40.
Old 19th July 2020
Okay thanks! It does seem like fluffy is talked about as unhealthy, is there a healthier alternative that is as effective for 16”+ traps? Knauff?

And I already have six packages of SnS.. is there any point in doing the front facing 12” as SnS and fill the rest with the pink fluffy? Or the opposite? ** nevermind, doesn’t perform nearly as well as fluffy on the multilayer calculator..**

Last edited by maxiedaniels; 19th July 2020 at 04:47 PM..
Old 19th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
For the deeper traps 12" and more fluffy is better.

For traps between 6"-12" Safe and Sound.

For 4" traps, Rockboard 40.
You wrote that perfectly
📝 Reply