The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How strong is the adhesion to the paper backing of R38.
Old 16th July 2020
How strong is the adhesion to the paper backing of R38.

I just bought some 16x48 kraft backed R38.

I’m planning on putting it on the ceiling.

Instead of suspending a grid and shoving the batts on top, would the paper backing hold the weight of the R38 long enough for me to loosely staple fabric over it?

I was thinking of putting up furring strips every 16”, then stapling the batts in place. Before they fall down I would staple the fabric loosely from one edge of one furring strip to the next.

Or will the batts pull away from the paper before I can get the fabric in place?

Oh... I suppose I could just use a deadman to hold them in place!

I know it will look a little rough. But I will put up some nicer fabric and some trim and lighting once they are in place.

Edit: attached cross-section.
Attached Thumbnails
How strong is the adhesion to the paper backing of R38.-106a5003-61e8-4367-b356-1ac59be13d18.jpeg  

Last edited by Grovestand; 16th July 2020 at 09:46 PM..
Old 17th July 2020
I decided to staple the fabric to the paper backing. Then I know that they won’t fall.

I cut the fabric for this one to be exactly 40 inches, and it ended up being a little tight. I made the rest 40-1/4 and they aren’t pretty, but there shouldn’t be any danger of compression.
Attached Thumbnails
How strong is the adhesion to the paper backing of R38.-82a74edd-0326-41fc-bcd7-52e3ed79282d.jpg  
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear