The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Extremely Deep Air Gap
Old 15th July 2020
Extremely Deep Air Gap

I've got a theoretical question.

For a context where putting porous absorption one the back wall is a logistical problem, would the results be as good if you put the same absorption a couple of feet in front of the wall - like 4-6 feet in a 20 foot deep room?

Lets say you were going to cover the entire rear wall, but instead moved the whole wall's worth of covering either 1/3rd or 1/2 way in to the room.
Old 17th July 2020
Good question.

Might be worth doing fluffy airgap then 703 on the wall.

For what it’s worth:

http://www.acousticmodelling.com/mli...s42=1&d42=1216
Attached Thumbnails
Extremely Deep Air Gap-493ca4a1-d00b-45ea-8bc4-5e3cc970541d.jpg  
Old 18th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey View Post
I've got a theoretical question.

For a context where putting porous absorption one the back wall is a logistical problem, would the results be as good if you put the same absorption a couple of feet in front of the wall - like 4-6 feet in a 20 foot deep room?

Lets say you were going to cover the entire rear wall, but instead moved the whole wall's worth of covering either 1/3rd or 1/2 way in to the room.
You would get something closer to this pic:

Would be a waste of space though, plus you would have to build a face wall complete with an entire frame and hope some drunken idiot we he sits in the back couch doesn't knock it back.
Attached Thumbnails
Extremely Deep Air Gap-screen-shot-2020-07-17-11.54.28-pm.jpg  
Old 18th July 2020
It's a theoretical question and there are no theoretical people in the theoretical room to worry about.

I only want to know if it changes the results if you move the treatments 3-4 feet in front of the wall rather than placing them 3-4 inches in front of the wall.
Old 18th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey View Post
It's a theoretical question and there are no theoretical people in the theoretical room to worry about.

I only want to know if it changes the results if you move the treatments 3-4 feet in front of the wall rather than placing them 3-4 inches in front of the wall.
Look at Attached pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Extremely Deep Air Gap-screen-shot-2020-07-18-12.21.41-am.jpg  
Old 18th July 2020
Thanks! I didn't realize you could add layers of air.

Looks like some weird comb filtering, but gets you an improvement in the subs.

Is can't find a way to have it calculate without a rigid backing. I'm curious if that's what's responsible for the comb filtering.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear