The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Question before I start this build
Old 7th July 2020
Question before I start this build

I'm about to construct a new studio, dimensions are 196.3"x160.5", ceiling is vaulted with lowest point being 101" and highest point being 122". (Terrible drawing here, ignore the top right diagram)

Looking at amacoustics.com calculator, I can see I'll be dealing with room modes starting around 34Hz, and I know it can be extremely difficult to treat that low.

I did a bunch of reading today about Tim's limp mass absorption design and also Hemholtz Resonators, and I'm curious at what point I should be considering those as options? In terms of normal absorption, my room allows me to build thick treatment for the corners (minus the back wall) and I could easily do thick treatment for the entire front and back wall. Sides I could treat a lot of, but my plan was to use my existing GIK panels (242,244,Monster Bass) to treat around the room. The ceiling is decently high so I can make a thick cloud.

But since I know I'll be have a very low modal issue, would it be reasonable to create limp mass absorbers as part of my initial plan?

(Don't worry, I will be measuring the room properly before I actually go ahead with treatment )
Old 8th July 2020
Anyone? In a Hemholtz resonator thread, someone mentioned that it’s a good idea to deal with super low end issues first, because you may not have the space if you fill the room with broadband absorption (and it doesn’t get low enough). Do I go crazy and build four tuned-to-34hz traps before doing more general trapping?
Old 15th July 2020
It's not broadband absorption if it doesn't go low enough.

If you cover every square inch of wall and ceiling with at least 12 inches of porous absorption, I think you won't need resonators.

I've only had the opportunity to try this in a much smaller room and it was great, so I'm kind of a one trick pony now - cover everything with broadband absorption. By everything I don't mean a bunch along the wall, I mean floor to ceiling the entire length of the wall and the entire ceiling.

Reference BOP studios before dismissing the idea.
Old 15th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey View Post
It's not broadband absorption if it doesn't go low enough.

If you cover every square inch of wall and ceiling with at least 12 inches of porous absorption, I think you won't need resonators.
I’d like to, but my room isn’t wide enough to do that on the sides. But I’ll be covering the back and front wall (16”), Ceiling (16-30”), all ceiling-wall (16”-24”), and possibly floor-walls dependent if I can do shelves on top of, say, 24”.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear