The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stack 4x4 Panel Bass Traps Safely
Old 30th July 2020
I found it!

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...p-Bags-48-x-60

48x60” burlap bags! 25 of them for $130

So each bag would hold 2- 24x48 batts of R30 (or maybe r38.

And you could hold them in place with thumb tacks or staple them to a board and lean them against the walls. Ugly, easy, effective.
Old 31st July 2020
Here for the gear

Be careful with the burlap bags. I have found they aren't "Deep" enough to hold thick insulation. You'll may end up compressing the insulation quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovestand View Post
I found it!

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...p-Bags-48-x-60

48x60” burlap bags! 25 of them for $130

So each bag would hold 2- 24x48 batts of R30 (or maybe r38.

And you could hold them in place with thumb tacks or staple them to a board and lean them against the walls. Ugly, easy, effective.
Old 31st July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFH_Guy View Post
Be careful with the burlap bags. I have found they aren't "Deep" enough to hold thick insulation. You'll may end up compressing the insulation quite a bit.
Good call. It’s too bad.

I wasn’t actually going to buy them, it just seemed like a no work method for getting fluffy onto the wall.

The ideal would be some kind of Japanese paper lanterns with a wire frame and cloth instead of paper.

Or some kind of sewn fabric box, but I imagine that would be pricy.

I have some other ideas.
Old 31st July 2020
These hold one 24x48 batt or two 16x48 batts.

I've started using them because my canvas delivery is nowhere in sight. I think they must assembled in China.

I've hung one with just a single grommet added.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Demobags...PACK/100661692
Old 31st July 2020
Brilliant! I wonder if they’re fire rated. Too bad they don’t come in black!
Old 1st August 2020
Here for the gear

I know I'm obsessed with Polyester Tablecloths, but how about this:

https://tableclothsfactory.com/produ...ter-tablecloth

You could easily wrap this around an R38 batt and staple it to the Paper backing. It's Black and $3 each. Not too much work and you'll probably make them look good. :-)

Quote:
Brilliant! I wonder if they’re fire rated. Too bad they don’t come in black!
Old 2nd August 2020
Quote:

Keep it coming! It’s useful info. Probably better than my 6’x25’ rolls of weed block. Definitey more colors available.
Old 2nd August 2020
Quote:

You could easily wrap this around an R38 batt and staple it to the Paper backing. It's Black and $3 each. Not too much work and you'll probably make them look good. :-)
I ordered some of the earlier ones you recommended. They're not exactly the same material that GIK uses. They're not extremely different and it's not a problem, but they don't have the slight elasticity which I think is helpful.
Old 2nd August 2020
Here for the gear

Yeah, GIK uses 100% Spun Polyester Poplin which is a higher grade. There are tablecloths made with that material, but it is more expensive than the generic Polyester tablecloths you run across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey View Post
I ordered some of the earlier ones you recommended. They're not exactly the same material that GIK uses. They're not extremely different and it's not a problem, but they don't have the slight elasticity which I think is helpful.
Old 2nd August 2020
Here for the gear

Actually, the more I think about it, the 54x54 size might be too small for a 24x48 batt, although, it might fit a 16x48 batt.

A 24x48 batt has 2 sides of 24" (Front & Back) and 2 sides of 12" (sides). If you add that all up, that is 72" of surface area. Now you don't have to completely cover the back, especially with the Kraft backing, but you need to get the material around the batt without compressing. I believe a 70x70 tablecloth would work better in this situation.

Quote:
Keep it coming! It’s useful info. Probably better than my 6’x25’ rolls of weed block. Definitey more colors available.
Old 2nd August 2020
Quote:
I believe a 70x70 tablecloth would work better in this situation.
To get the ends to fold up nicely it needs to be wider. I cut them 30x72 for a 16x48 batt. I made a video of the process. I need to edit it. 70 would probably work, but it will compress a bit if you try to staple the long side up.
Old 2nd August 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
To get the ends to fold up nicely it needs to be wider. I cut them 30x72 for a 16x48 batt. I made a video of the process. I need to edit it. 70 would probably work, but it will compress a bit if you try to staple the long side up.
So something along the lines of 60x84 - 60x102 would probably do it. You'd have a lot of excess material but better to have more than less. The 60x102 is only a $1.29 more than the 54x54 tablecloth so not a bad deal.
📝 Reply