The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Testing R30 on the ceiling.
Old 1 week ago
Testing R30 on the ceiling.

It’s hard to estimate the effectiveness of adding an absorber to a room without measuring it in place.

Wouldn’t it be nice if there were some way to get R30 to stay where you need it without building an enclosure or stacking it on the floor until it compresses and changes it’s characteristics?!

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you...

The Ugly.

Testing R30 on the ceiling.-7571cddc-9c4e-416d-8cb6-13b7d316af01.jpg

4 staples and 2 pieces of R30.

I am tempted to leave it like that to see how long it would stay up, but it makes me cough just looking at it.
Attached Thumbnails
Testing R30 on the ceiling.-7571cddc-9c4e-416d-8cb6-13b7d316af01.jpg  
Old 5 days ago
Get some multi=strand wire from Home Depot and run 2-3 pieces across from one wall to another and then just lay them across the wire.

You could permanently install it that way and then make a fabric ceiling in front of it.

Try covering the entire ceiling with it, go even thicker if you can. In a small room like that you can get good results but you need as much absorption as you can fit.

I covered every wall and the entire ceiling of a small room with R38 and it ended up +/-3dB from 15-20k.
Old 5 days ago
Thanks Mike!

For my front wall I hung them from cut up coat hangers. In retrospect I should probably not have treated the front wall until I got speaker placement finalized.

Having learned from that, I didn’t want to do anything permanent until I was able to easily test and remove the treatment.

I ended up doing this for the back wall. Will probably go pick up some more boxes at Lowe’s to finish testing:
Attached Thumbnails
Testing R30 on the ceiling.-f87dafc3-fb97-4b42-a744-9140920b1d6a.jpg   Testing R30 on the ceiling.-1abd8711-1db3-475b-bdfa-bd2e5d5689ac.jpg  
Old 5 days ago
Oh yeah...

I’m also not sure about running wire from one wall to another because I have Air Alex RC-2 behind my walls, and I didn’t want to pull on them by tightening wire from one side to another.

I thought that might affect isolation.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear