The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Reflective material for bass trap
Old 22nd June 2020
Here for the gear

Reflective material for bass trap

I'm planning on making some bass traps that line my walls. I'm going to build them right into the wall. Probably 18-24 inches of fluffy insulation. What I don't want to do is deaden the room too much so I want to use some reflective material on the exterior of at least half of them.

My thoughts were I could do a couple of things. Just line the entire wall with some 1/4 inch plywood that would let the bass through, or just put some kind of reflective material over the insulation so it doesn't kill all the high frequency.

I guess another thought is to put some diffusion in front of the bass traps. Something easy to build. Mount of off the wall a few inches.

Any thoughts on how to make these so they don't kill all the high frequencies?
Old 22nd June 2020
Gear Head

What about slats (say laminate or wood) with slots in between? By choosing the width of the slats, you can easily control the frequencies to be reflected. More degrees of freedom compared to covering the entire absorber with foil or similar.
Old 22nd June 2020
Old 22nd June 2020
Here for the gear

That slat solution seems ideal. Thanks!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear