The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bass trap advice for small room
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Bass trap advice for small room

Hi, I'm trying to improve the sound in my living room / kitchen as there is way too much bass when I am standing in the sofa area, but hardly any bass when I'm standing in the kitchen area. I take it that this is due to bass modes being created in the sofa area.

After doing some research, it seems like I need some bass traps to help absorb some of these low frequency modes to even out the sound in the room.

The only problem is, the room is quite small, so I don't really have the space to get chunky bass traps.

I just have a few questions.

1. If I was to get some corner bass traps in only 2 of the 4 corners (the corners near the window), could this make enough of a difference, or would this only be effective if I did all 4 corners ? (I just don't have the space to do 4 corners).

I had thought these traps could be potentially suitable :

https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_t.akus...ver_spruce.htm

2. My monitor audio RS6 floorstanding speakers are quite close to the wall (around 20cm). Is this making the bass modes problem worse ? Unfortunately I don't have much flexibility in this, due to the size of the room.

3. There is some space behind the sofa, which is where I am often listening to music. Would it be helpful to put some bass traps there as well as the 2 corners, since I am unable to do all 4 corners.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Bass trap advice for small room-img_20200608_162555.jpg   Bass trap advice for small room-img_20200608_162603.jpg   Bass trap advice for small room-img_20200608_162613.jpg  
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear