The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
First attempt to acoustic treatment.
Old 8th June 2020
Here for the gear

First attempt to acoustic treatment.

Hi,

After postponing this for way too long I finally decided to treat my room. All DIY.
I recently moved to a new flat, where I have a dedicated room for my studio. Unfortunately it is almost cubical, the good thing is it its totally unsymmetric. The alternative was to swap with my bed room which is a bit more rectangular but has more windows. One of them has an enclosed 20cm airspace which can be used to put plants into. Imo this is a horrible resonator, so I was not looking further into using this room as a studio. Or am I wrong?

Long story short after reading a bunch of tutorials and posts I came up with the following plan. Because the door is in the corner, I can only treat 3 of them with bass traps. I thought to use 62,5cm cubical bass traps filled with either Rockwool Sonorock or hemp fibre. The latter gives me a better bass attenuation at this size. Sonorock has a GFR of 6 kPa*s/m² while the hemp has 3 kPa*s/m². Further Id like to use broadband absorbers made of Sonorock (62,5*200*28cm) to treat the sidewalls and the back wall. As I am sitting rather close to the back wall swapping diffusors for absorbers seems more useful to me. Maybe I could also add a cloud absorber (again Sonorock). The window behind the speakers could be treated with a thick curtain, maybe Molton.
Down below are charts of my current room acoustic. Currently the room is naked, besides a bookshelf and my music gear. There are also roomplans showing the absorbers (blue boxes).
All help is welcome. What are your thoughts on this?
Attached Thumbnails
First attempt to acoustic treatment.-studio-2d.jpg   First attempt to acoustic treatment.-spl.jpg   First attempt to acoustic treatment.-waterfall-3.jpg   First attempt to acoustic treatment.-waterfall.jpg  
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear