The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Which fabric is best for acoustic panels?
Old 7th June 2020
Here for the gear

Which fabric is best for acoustic panels?

I’ve already constructed my own acoustic panels at home with common wood and filled them up with “Rockwool Safe and Sound.” All there is left to do is to wrap them up with fabric. They will be hanging on my walls that is why I want to make sure the fabric I get will be breathable/durable and also look/feel nice.
I’ve seen recent posts about this but they were a bit outdated. Some of the material I’ve come across is Burlap, but it looks ****ty.
Other is Poplin Polyester, Canvas Duck Preshrunk Fabric, and this other one is Cotton Polyester.
I’m sure there’s more, but I also want the best bang for the buck too.
I’d like to get someone’s opinion on this as I already have everything set for my panels just got to wrap them up. Thanks!
Old 7th June 2020
I use burlap to cover them up. It comes in different colors and its very very breathable. I use a 3M adhesive to bind it to the insulation panels. I always use Coriing 703 or 705 as they come in 2 feet by 4 feet by 2 inches and if i want 2 feet by 2 feet, they are easy to cut.
Old 10th July 2020
Gear Head

I just finished building some DIY broadband absorbent panels for wall panels and clouds. 2' x 4' x 4" using Rockwool 60, Guilford of Maine fabric on the face and some utility fabric from JoAnn Fabrics on the rear.

Guilford of Maine Whisper - Silence: https://shop.guilfordofmaine.com/aco...colors=silence

Don't remember the exact fabric from JoAnn but its almost the same as the fabric on the underside of a chair. I can look it up if you want.....
Attached Thumbnails
Which fabric is best for acoustic panels?-cloud-face.jpg   Which fabric is best for acoustic panels?-cloud-back.jpg  
Old 10th July 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRM View Post
I just finished building some DIY broadband absorbent panels for wall panels and clouds. 2' x 4' x 4" using Rockwool 60, Guilford of Maine fabric on the face and some utility fabric from JoAnn Fabrics on the rear.

Guilford of Maine Whisper - Silence: https://shop.guilfordofmaine.com/aco...colors=silence

Don't remember the exact fabric from JoAnn but its almost the same as the fabric on the underside of a chair. I can look it up if you want.....

That’s cool! Thanks for sharing!
I already built mine.
Decided to go for Guilford of Maine myself! The fabric is amazing.
I got the Silver Papier, which looks a bit similar to yours. As for the back I used some Cambric fabric just to cover up the Rockwool.
Attached Thumbnails
Which fabric is best for acoustic panels?-image_6388_0.jpg  
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear