The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
9" Gobo's + Cloud + 3 mattresses isolation/vocal booth
Old 7th April 2020
Here for the gear

9" Gobo's + Cloud + 3 mattresses isolation/vocal booth

Hey guys,

I'm in the process of recording vocals for my first album and therefore facing a couple of problems:

1. my studio is my bedroom and my walls are thin, so I need to isolation, as my neighbours will complain.

2. I need great sounding none boxy vocals โ€“ as dry as possible

3. I don't have a lot of money

What I have however is 3 39 inch wide mattresses (pretty standard but quite thick foam)
aaaand I've built two 9 inch deep gobo walls (2 meters x 60 cm) today filled with mineral wool and covered with molton and a 4 inch thick cloud absorber to put on top.

Is there anyone here who's got some experience with building mattress/gobo vocal cabins?
Will my 2 gobos and the cloud be enough to fight bass in the booth even if the mattresses won't take enough bass? I've tested them before I build the gobos. They definitely take something away, but to be completely honest, I'm not very experienced in how a great vocal take should sound like as so far I've only ever been recording demos in untreated bedrooms...

Should I try and have more than 4 corners in the booth?
should I sing out of the booth (one side will have to have an entrance I guess โ€“ maybe covered up with a blanket) or into one of the absorbers or into a corner?

I will post some pictures of my first setup tomorrow and maybe I can get some vocal takes done as well for you guys to hear.

I'd be tremendously happy for any kind of advice!

Martin
Old 7th April 2020
Lives for gear

Make the gobos into a V... hang the cloud on top... experiment with singing into the V towards the gobos and away from them and see what works best

Save the mattresses for laying your root down
Old 7th April 2020
Here for the gear

Thanks for the quick response!

I'm still worried about my neighbours, though. Will the Gobos alone take away so much energy? And would a mattress booth sound so terrible considering the Gobos would work as a bass trap?

Cheers,

Martin
Old 7th April 2020
For $200-$300 you can get a number hours in a nice studio with an isolation room. You bring your laptop, converter and mic and you can track your vocals.

Why d*ck around with a bunch of mattresses to try to get a usable situation that might work, when tracking in a studio will work?
Old 7th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
For $200-$300 you can get a number hours in a nice studio with an isolation room. You bring your laptop, converter and mic and you can track your vocals.

Why d*ck around with a bunch of mattresses to try to get a usable situation that might work, when tracking in a studio will work?
Well.. just leave all of that crap at home actually and pay and engineer, too

But... yah, is there a reason you need to track this at home? Sounds like worrying about the neighbors is gonna be a a constant worry which will be a creative buzzkill
Old 7th April 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post

Sounds like worrying about the neighbors is gonna be a a constant worry which will be a creative buzzkill
Exactly.

Especially if its for your own album. As the artist you need 100% attention on being the artist and giving the best performances.

You don't need to worry about the neighbor coming by and killing the mood.
Old 7th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
Exactly.

Especially if its for your own album. As the artist you need 100% attention on being the artist and giving the best performances.

You don't need to worry about the neighbor coming by and killing the mood.
Itโ€™s worth making a couple of calls and seeing how much itโ€™d cost if you brought in your own gear
Old 9th April 2020
Here for the gear

Alas a studio is not an option atm. Hypothetically speaking: What if I had 6 of these 9 inch gobos. They are open in the back and should be very effective down to maybe 40 herz, right?
Would I get a decent sounding booth if I put them all together and top em with a cloud absorber?
Old 10th April 2020
Here for the gear

another idea would be building a blanket booth with 900mg/m2 molton and putting my bass traps inside.

Is there anyone here experienced with those?
Old 11th April 2020
Here for the gear

anyone?
Old 26th April 2020
Lives for gear

I used to have my studio in may apartment a long time ago. I had 3 packing blankets hung from the ceiling on a bendable curtain rod in a horseshoe pattern. Singer would step in and sing towards the back of it. They were also singing against the closet, so there wasn't any worry from the neighbors.

You can also try your bathroom, in a lot of apartments they are beside each other, so worst case they close their bathroom door and your vocals won't bother them.

Also time of day is important. Don't record outside of the normal 9am-9pm and you should be good.

Further, tell them what you're gonna do, buy them a few bottles of their favorite drink to bribe them.
Old 3rd July 2020
It really depends on the mattress. A spring style is going to do very little. A tempurpedic might do more, but they're going to be really expensive.

When it comes to sound proofing the only solutions that really work make the room air tight and then you need air-conditioning. If you're not needing that, you're probably doing almost nothing.

Generally you want dense rigid materials that prevent vibrations from passing through.

Another approach is to change the sound in the room so that you end up performing at a lower volume because you don't end up fighting the environment. So hanging thick porous absorption might get you better results.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear