The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Question regarding airgap implementation with R30 soffit
Old 6th February 2020
Here for the gear

Question regarding airgap implementation with R30 soffit

Hello all

Longtime lurker.. couple questions:

I have an upper corner that is 28" deep, 22" high and 66" long that I want to trap. R30 seems to be the winner here due to GFR, depth and price point.
Since R30 comes 9" high and 15" deep, I plan to stack three 66" long pieces in a wooden enclosure, which brings me to the question of an air-gap.

The online porous absorption calculator leads me to believe a 13" air gap would perform better than a second stack of R30 behind my first stack.
With this being the case, should I build an enclosure all the way to the wall with the air gap inside, or can I close it after the first 15" deep stack of R30 and leave literal air behind?

Attached for good measure are REW tests in two different listening positions.
While front wall is clearly flatter, the asymmetrical nature of my room leads to poor imaging due to only having a wall on one side.

Note: I have 4 monsters and 6 244s on the way from GIK.. Much of my rear wall is currently untreated, which these are for. I have 4 tri traps in the room, 4 4" panels at reflection points, and 2 2" cloud panels.

Thank you, and apologies for any ignorance in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Question regarding airgap implementation with R30 soffit-screen-shot-2020-02-06-10.34.34-am.jpg   Question regarding airgap implementation with R30 soffit-img_4997.jpg   Question regarding airgap implementation with R30 soffit-img_5333.jpg   Question regarding airgap implementation with R30 soffit-img_5340.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: mdat Feb Room Tests.mdat (10.04 MB, 12 views)

Last edited by youngteam; 7th February 2020 at 08:40 PM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search