The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bass Trap Placement Suggestions?
Old 25th January 2020
Here for the gear

Bass Trap Placement Suggestions?

Hello fellow slutz! I'm looking for suggestions for count and placement of bass traps for my home studio/listening room. The room is 18 wide by 15.5 deep by 10 tall. Right now I am only using a couple 1" acoustic panels as seen in the corners. I'd prefer to keep as much ambience as possible. Any suggestions would be appreciated thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Bass Trap Placement Suggestions?-img_4384.jpg   Bass Trap Placement Suggestions?-img_4386.jpg  
Old 1st February 2020
Lives for gear

I'm thinking about fixing my car, any suggestion on how to do that?

Without a diagnose, you'll be fumbling in the dark.

Advice Wanted: Best Option(s) for Additional Bass-Trapping
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for the worthless response
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

A wortheless question deserves...
More information needed to answer

Matti
Old 3 weeks ago
For bass traps the best advice is to fill the corners with nice deep traps if space allows. Your 1" panels probably aren't doing much for you in the corners - you'll want something like 12-18" deep there. You could then reuse your 1" panels elsewhere such as for ceiling mounted reflection points perhaps.

Also use REW to measure your room and post the info here and several dudes more knowledgeable than me will be able to help further. Check out the other threads as there's a wealth of acoustic info here nestled away.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Hi there Duxsmer.

This looks like a fun room!

Mr Fantastic is on the right track here. All rooms can utilize and benefit from thick bass trapping in the corners. When space is a premium, don't forget to look at towards the ceiling/wall junctions to put in some soffit style bass traps.

When it's desired to tighten the low end and make it more coherent and linear, yest still preserve the natural feel of a room, it's a great idea to range limit the bass traps. This is/should be a relatively thin reflective material that can bounce back or scatter high frequencies and at the same time, if built correctly, improve the low frequency characteristics of the bass trap.

So this is how I would probably start with you. Soffit style bass traps around the crow of the room. I would limit the range of the front and side wall installments, and think about leaving the one the speakers point at either broadband absorptive or manipulate that range limiting feature of these specific devices to be perforated. The perforation of a reflective surface introduces a phase grating element, which scatters high frequencies rather than bouncing them like a ray/laser.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Generic advice can be good advice, which is what you are getting. The wild card here is that you say you want to keep as much ambiance as possible. Without defining ambience, it is possible that generic treatment may reduce whatever element you hear as ambiance.

Jens Eklund isn’t being an ass, he’s trying to remind you that defining a problem is the first step towards solving that problem. Throwing up some good standard trapping should change the room in ways that are usually better for recording and mixing, but since you seem to like the room pretty much as is, standard treatment may or may not make the room seem better to you.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Good point Bushman.

I am a big fan of Jens. Of course he is right. But corner bass traps, while generic, are also ubiquitous. There's not a vessel that cannot benefit from resonance reduction when it is being used for critical listening. Or tracking.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndykstra View Post
Good point Bushman.

I am a big fan of Jens. Of course he is right. But corner bass traps, while generic, are also ubiquitous. There's not a vessel that cannot benefit from resonance reduction when it is being used for critical listening. Or tracking.
True...usually. But what most of the audio world regards as “resonance” may be “ambiance” to this particular person.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search