The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Wool in Cardboardy Aluminium Foil
Old 20th January 2020
Here for the gear

Wool in Cardboardy Aluminium Foil

Hello gearslutz,

I am old reader and new poster. Before starting, i have tried to read almost all related posts about that issue but i could not get any result. so if you know any kind of post related to that topic please also inform me.

Finally, I am so close to finish my home studio project. Like the others, i also have some treatment problems. My rooftop is isolated by wool and even if density of wool is lower, thickness is really big and almost 40 cm. But wool is covered by a different kind of material and i really cannot understand what it is. So my question is , of course it will create reflections for mid and high frequencies but what about bass frequencies ? Should i really remove that material and cover it by Fabric ? is it really necessary ? And do you guys have any similar experience like that before ? is that kind of treatment really working ?

My point is, if its not really necessary to remove that, i dont want to do it but of course i am not the expert of these kind of situations, also i would like to hear any other suggestions. Thank you so much. Its good to join you guys ...
Attached Thumbnails
Wool in Cardboardy Aluminium Foil-img-0987.jpg   Wool in Cardboardy Aluminium Foil-img-0986.jpg   Wool in Cardboardy Aluminium Foil-img-0982.jpg   Wool in Cardboardy Aluminium Foil-img-0981.jpg   Wool in Cardboardy Aluminium Foil-img-0985.jpg  

Wool in Cardboardy Aluminium Foil-img-0984.jpg  

Last edited by ugr; 20th January 2020 at 11:15 PM.. Reason: wrong word
Old 21st January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugr View Post
Hello gearslutz,

I am old reader and new poster. Before starting, i have tried to read almost all related posts about that issue but i could not get any result. so if you know any kind of post related to that topic please also inform me.

Finally, I am so close to finish my home studio project. Like the others, i also have some treatment problems. My rooftop is isolated by wool and even if density of wool is lower, thickness is really big and almost 40 cm. But wool is covered by a different kind of material and i really cannot understand what it is. So my question is , of course it will create reflections for mid and high frequencies but what about bass frequencies ? Should i really remove that material and cover it by Fabric ? is it really necessary ? And do you guys have any similar experience like that before ? is that kind of treatment really working ?

My point is, if its not really necessary to remove that, i dont want to do it but of course i am not the expert of these kind of situations, also i would like to hear any other suggestions. Thank you so much. Its good to join you guys ...
What climate do you live in and how important is it too have good insulation?

Also, first thing people are going to say is to get a measurement mic, REW, and measure the room.

In such multi use space like that you need to have something that works well for recording, mixing, etc.

You never mentioned if recording live instruments or vocals is part of your project studio.
Old 21st January 2020
Here for the gear

Thank you for your reply . But my point is actully trying to learn, how much this material effects bass absorption. I thought that i should analyze room but when i checked web , room kits are expensive, (also i can get suggestion for that) and right now i dont know what to do. That will be my personal studio so i will make everything in there(Recording, mix, mastering). it doesnt need to be fully professional but at least i want to make basic treatment espiecally for low end.
Old 21st January 2020
Lives for gear

If you want more detailed help then give dimensions of the room.

Also if you already have an audio interface you can get a measurement mic for around $60-$100.

Unless you specify the exact product and the room dimensions no one can tell you what type of bass/mid absorption can be achieved.

In a small mixed use space then having some movable, gobo/free standing sound treatment is great.

Please see this website for basics
https://www.gikacoustics.com/basics-...ls-bass-traps/

However, with the pitched roof it will take some trying different things.

The relevant threads you want to search are "foil vs no foil" and FRK
OC 703 FRK... to foil or not to foil????

You can see the difference facing makes here
https://dcpd6wotaa0mb.cloudfront.net...=1551098739000

The 703 vs 703 faced FRK data is just an approximation since we don't even know what actual insulation you have.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search