The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Idiot check on my bass trap idea please
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Idiot check on my bass trap idea please

Hey all, I'm in the process of building treatment for a home studio to be used for SFX and Dialog editing and after a ton of research I wanted to run my ideas by the experts here to make sure I'm doing this right. My room is 10x11 I've got my speakers/ desk against the wall centered on the 10' section. I've added some panels for first reflections and a curtain along the back wall (opposite the speakers) (not the best I know, it's a weird room and doors/closets present some issues).

I'm now trying to plan my bass traps. I THINK where I've settled, based on pricing and availability is Superchunk style traps made out of Rockwool Safe n Sound . I'll cut each pad into triangles so that it's 16" on a side and ~24 inches on the face out into the room. I have 8 foot ceilings so I'm planning to go floor to ceiling with the foam (wrapped in cotton batting) in a wood frame, then the whole thing wrapped in a breathable fabric. Does this seem like it would be a good solution for my situation? will the Rockwool be thick enough in that configuration to handle the inevitable boomy-ness of the SFX?

Any feedback would be much appreciated before I pull the trigger! Thank you!

Edit: There would only be two floor to ceiling traps behind the speakers, I can't do all four corners because of the room layout.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmonicz View Post
I've added some panels for first reflections and a curtain along the back wall (opposite the speakers) (not the best I know, it's a weird room and doors/closets present some issues).

I have 8 foot ceilings so I'm planning to go floor to ceiling with the foam (wrapped in cotton batting) in a wood frame.
First part... A normal curtain, even a fairly thick one, is not going to be very helpful. A VERY heavy multi layered stage curtain that is full room height and deeply pleated would do something, but in my experience such curtains are very expensive. They are also so heavy that hardware to hang them can be problematic.

Second part... You used the word “foam” in this sentence, but I don’t see foam in your description of materials. Is some of your treatment foam?

Otherwise your plans seem sensible, although you might want to add more treatment later. Use REW. Don’t guess as to effectiveness of your treatment.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Maybe build some cloud bass traps if you’re out of useable floor space...

Helped a lot in my space
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
First part... A normal curtain, even a fairly thick one, is not going to be very helpful. A VERY heavy multi layered stage curtain that is full room height and deeply pleated would do something, but in my experience such curtains are very expensive. They are also so heavy that hardware to hang them can be problematic.
Yeah I know, it was mostly for aesthetics and any treatment properties are a bonus. It is pretty thick (though not theater thick) and it's floor to ceiling, and heavily pleated. The price wasn't too bad actually I went to Ikea, found their thickest curtains and used those

Quote:
Second part... You used the word “foam” in this sentence, but I don’t see foam in your description of materials. Is some of your treatment foam?
You're right, I meant to type Rockwool insulation, not foam

Quote:
Otherwise your plans seem sensible, although you might want to add more treatment later. Use REW. Don’t guess as to effectiveness of your treatment.
thank you, that's good to know, and yes, you're right. my speakers and calibration mic should be showing up tomorrow, that way I can start getting some measurements.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Maybe build some cloud bass traps if you’re out of useable floor space...

Helped a lot in my space
That's a good idea, My only concern is hanging them safely. How did you do it?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmonicz View Post
That's a good idea, My only concern is hanging them safely. How did you do it?
Bolts and a short heavy chain... because I’m a scaredy cat and also because mine is a foot deep, heavy and sits over a ton of gear (and me)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search