The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Further Treatment Of My Mancave
Old 27th September 2019
Here for the gear

Further Treatment Of My Mancave

Hello there!

I finally joined the club after excessive lurking for the past year or so. First of all thank you! I learned so much from this forum! I went from someone who thought the only treatment needed is the cheap foam I was seeing in most of the studios around to accepting that it is so much complicated than that. I tried to google every little aspect of what I need to know and most of the time I found the answers. I tried to keep my knowledge progress clean so there was no need for new threads to be made but this is a bit too specific I guess.
“Quick” description of my question: I moved to this apartment not a long time ago and I am renting it. I have put my setup inside the largest room (6,5m long / 3,5m wide / 2,6m high) that acts as my workplace and sort of a living room. I always try to stay off of any invasive modifications as I may move soon therefore I want everything to be as mobile as possible.
I made 4 acoustic panels of 14 cm depth and put it all in the early reflection points. I had only basic info at the time of working on it. The panels are probably a bit too dense. I was unable to find the exact specifications back then but it should be 90kg/m3 based on the Knauf material type. Now I know they ideally should be around 60kg/m3 but I think it still makes a huge difference in the room.

I measured the room with REW for the first time only just with the panels hanging ( I know I approached it from the wrong end ).

I am now trying to solve the corners. As you can see in the photos those are kinda weird and not really full of space. I was thinking about building some Tube traps from the tube insulation following this: https://www.teresaudio.com/haven/traps/traps.html as those would fit neatly and best of all would be portable for further manipulation. I found material in my country that is 65kg/m3 so I think it might kinda balance the more rigid panels.

Do you think it will help based on the provided measurements? What else would you recommend to me to take a look at? In the measurements there is a big spike around 125hz that is probably caused by the ceiling / desk / floor interaction. It changed slightly when measuring a bit higher above but never with the repositioning of the monitors or the mix spot distance-wise. Could cloud treatment possibly help more than the corner traps?

If any more info is needed, I will fill that in.

Also I am planing to add some more mass and books to the back wall there to act as a diffuser based on Bobby Owsinski advice in "Improve the Sound of Your Room" video.

You can find the measurements and room photos here, I was following the "before you post measurements" guide so I hope it all ok like that.

Thanks for any kind of advice!
Attached Thumbnails
Further Treatment Of My Mancave-both-speakers-spl.jpg   Further Treatment Of My Mancave-both-speakers-waterfall.jpg   Further Treatment Of My Mancave-left-speaker-impulse.jpg   Further Treatment Of My Mancave-left-speaker-spl.jpg   Further Treatment Of My Mancave-left-speaker-waterfall.jpg  

Further Treatment Of My Mancave-r-l-spl.jpg   Further Treatment Of My Mancave-right-speaker-impulse.jpg   Further Treatment Of My Mancave-right-speaker-spl.jpg   Further Treatment Of My Mancave-right-speaker-waterfall.jpg   Further Treatment Of My Mancave-all-spl.jpg  

Further Treatment Of My Mancave-both-speakers-impulse.jpg   Further Treatment Of My Mancave-room-photos.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search