The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Building bass traps for a small room
Old 15th September 2019
Gear Nut

Building bass traps for a small room

I just started messing with REW and ARC 2.5 to measure and test placement of my monitors, etc. Naturally, this has sent me down a rabbit hole of room setup and treatment (yay?) and I could use some suggestions.

In this other thread I was trying to figure out monitor positioning and realized I've got a 100hz dip to fix, but here's where I'm at:

The room I'm working with is about 9.5'x20' with 8' ceilings, but the front portion of the room (about 7-8' or so), with double doors to the outside, is reserved for other needs, so there's a thick theatre curtain as a divider (making the "studio" dimensions more like 9.5'x12' ish). My 63" wide desk is centered on the far wall.

In terms of treatment, so far I've got the following:
  • Two 2'x4'x4" panels straddling the corners beside the desk (centered between floor and ceiling)

• Another 2'x4'x4" panel straddling the wall/ceiling joint above the desk

• There is also the aforementioned theatre curtain (which I know does nothing for bass reflections) as well as another, smaller portion of the same curtain hanging a few inches away from one of the walls to help high reflections.

(panels are coloured red in the floor plan below, with the 2 sets of monitors in black. I've also included some shapes to indicate keyboards and rack gear, etc.)

I have enough leftover Roxul Safe'n'Sound and fabric to build one more panel (I was thinking as a cloud above the listening position).

However, I was also curious about beefing up the bass traps beside the desk.

The options I'm toying with are the following:
  1. Build the remaining panel as a cloud, leaving the others where they are

2. Build the remaining panel, then reposition them so they are stacked two panels tall in the corners beside the desk, giving floor to ceiling air-gapped panels there, then eventually build new panels for above the desk and on the ceiling

3. Buy more material and build 8' tall 16"x16" soffit traps for the two corners beside the desk and move the panels to other positions in the room

4. Same as #3, but with 16"x16" superchunk traps in the two corners instead

I like the idea of the soffits or superchunks, but could that lead to issues without an air gap, as those corners are on outside walls? (I suppose I could leave an inch for air flow.)

And, maybe most importantly: is all of this moot if I can't do anything about the opposite corners, as that section of the room is needed for other purposes and can't accommodate bass traps, etc?

Suggestions are welcome! Thanks.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search