The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Accoustic tile placement ??
Old 20th August 2019
Question Accoustic tile placement ??

Finally gonna put some accoustic tiles and bass traps on the walls , but is there a good way to know the right spots to place them, to kill the reflections ?

I'm getting 45 tiles but how many is usually enough, and, how much of the corners need to be covered with the bass traps. Floor to ceiling in all 4 corners ?

Im hoping the experience you guys have will be a lot better than a pretty uninformed google search.
Thanks in advance
Old 21st August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbinax View Post
Finally gonna put some accoustic tiles and bass traps on the walls , but is there a good way to know the right spots to place them, to kill the reflections ?

I'm getting 45 tiles but how many is usually enough, and, how much of the corners need to be covered with the bass traps. Floor to ceiling in all 4 corners ?

Im hoping the experience you guys have will be a lot better than a pretty uninformed google search.
Thanks in advance
You haven't even posted room measurements..
The only way to know for sure how much treatment your space needs is to pump it full of pink noise and use an analyzer. It doesn't matter how much experience someone has unless they've heard your room. You can 'clap' to help reveal trouble spots in your high end. You can also 'thump your chest' to help reveal some lower end issues, but an analyzer is the only sure fire thing.
Old 21st August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshProduce View Post
You haven't even posted room measurements..
The only way to know for sure how much treatment your space needs is to pump it full of pink noise and use an analyzer. It doesn't matter how much experience someone has unless they've heard your room. You can 'clap' to help reveal trouble spots in your high end. You can also 'thump your chest' to help reveal some lower end issues, but an analyzer is the only sure fire thing.
Thanks.
I should have maybe mentioned, but it was late and I was tired.
The room is square, and roughly 10ft x 10ft.

When you say an analyser, what exactly do you mean by that ?
Old 21st August 2019
Here for the gear

He's talking about some type of frequency reader. It takes a while but you're essentially 'zero-ing out' your control room while you blast pink noise through your speakers. Its not something many people know how to do, I know that.

Your best bet is to use your ears. If a corner sounds like it's got too much residual high end, deaden it. You're looking for balance and something you can work with! I'm assuming you've been listening to sounds your entire life.. Play around with it until it sounds workable to you
Old 24th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginTheory View Post
He's talking about some type of frequency reader. It takes a while but you're essentially 'zero-ing out' your control room while you blast pink noise through your speakers. Its not something many people know how to do, I know that.

Your best bet is to use your ears. If a corner sounds like it's got too much residual high end, deaden it. You're looking for balance and something you can work with! I'm assuming you've been listening to sounds your entire life.. Play around with it until it sounds workable to you
I want something to treat the highs, yeah, but the main reason I want to do this is to negate the bass standing waves.
After a little research into it, I know how to mount the tiles now, using command strips, some card and spray adhesive.
I only have a vague notion of where to actually place them.

I'm assuming the speaker cone pumps the sound mainly in a straight line towards the first available reflective surface, and I should cancel out as much as I can at that point, but I need to catch the booms, and need bass traps.

I cant use drills, hammers or anything because it's not our house, so I'm not sure how to attach bass traps to the corners. I don't think command strips would hold them in place for very long, if at all.

What's the best way to attach bass traps without damaging the walls ?

Took a few measurements of the room. Its 10ft x 12ft and the ceiling is 8ft

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search