The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
I just want to minimize road/traffic noise.....
Old 14th August 2019
Lives for gear

I just want to minimize road/traffic noise.....

Will I get better results from a proper panel (rockwool,fiberglass) than I would if I just crammed some 3" foam in the window area? This is not going to be used for proper audio, it's going to be used to help me get some freaking sleep!

Thanks,
fb
Old 14th August 2019
Lives for gear
Traffic rumble, at least the very low frequency elements of it, will go through almost anything. You would need to do a sealed, floating, room-within-a-room structural solution to make a big difference in that kind of noise, especially if the road is near you.
I would get some 32 db ear plugs.
Old 14th August 2019
Lives for gear

Thanks, but earplugs won't do it for me. Too uncomfortable. I don't expect miracles, but I just want to reduce it a bit and I am just curious as to whether I should build something or just plug it with foam and hope for the best.

Thanks again,

fb
Old 14th August 2019
Lives for gear
Foam will only help the highs. Mass stops the lows.

Sand, concrete, lots of wood, brick, etc.
Old 14th August 2019
Lives for gear
OK, it seems that you want someone to agree that you should plug the window with fiber or foam. Go ahead. I guarantee that it won’t make the noise level worse.
It might reduce any mid or high frequency transmission by a noticeable amount. That and a healthy dose of placebo effect might get you through the nights.
Old 14th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
OK, it seems that you want someone to agree that you should plug the window with fiber or foam. Go ahead. I guarantee that it won’t make the noise level worse.
It might reduce any mid or high frequency transmission by a noticeable amount. That and a healthy dose of placebo effect might get you through the nights.
Firs off, I don't really appreciate your surly attitude! I am not simply wanting someone to agree with me and I don't really care for any of your placebo krap either. Sadly, this is the sort of unbelievably disrespectful BS that has kept me away from GS. Also, read the original post to see where your flaw is.I am asking an EITHER-OR question.

Thanks Bushman for being a total a-hole!

Never mind.
Old 14th August 2019
Lives for gear
Your “either-or” question is answered with a “neither”. Neither will be very effective. I wasn’t the only person telling you that fact.
The placebo effect is not crap (or even crap with a “k”).
I’m really surprised that I got to “total a-hole” on whatever scale you are using. It leaves no room to measure the result if I was actually trying. You may want to rethink adding some levels below “total”.
I’ve lived a long time before being called surly. I kind of like it! Thanks!
And sleep well!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yea I don't get why you went so off on Bushman either. Somebody definitely needs a nap!

But having said that I had a studio (more of rehearsal space that doubled as a studio) right on an outdoor market and after I sealed up the (2m x 1m) windows (x3) with rockwool and two layers of drywall there as a vast improvement in the amount of mid/high attenuation. As Bushman alluded to though I still got a healthy amount of low-end traffic noise transferring through the structure but I never heard another "5 fer a pound, 5 fer a pound" after that!

R.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search