The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Another DIY absorber panels build
Old 12th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Another DIY absorber panels build

So I built a couple of absorbers for my home studio and home theater.

My intention was never to have a perfect sound, since I know that would take a lot more effort than just adding a couple of absorbers, but I'm happy with the results considering the terrible initial situation and money/effort/time invested.

Here's an IMGUR album with more pictures: https://imgur.com/a/1UypNAq

I used slabs of 2'' rigid Rockwool of 8 pound per cubic feet qith 2'' air gap. I didn't use 4'' because I thought it would have been overkill with my small monitors. I will replace the panels on the corners with 4'' if I add a subwoofer in the future or buy bigger monitors.

I think now my main problems are those dips at 70-80Hz and 130Hz. Honestly I don't think there's much I can do to fix that other than investing serious money, but if anyone has some advice please do not hesitate to comment.

I will try moving my desk around and see how that changes the sound using RTA and REW but I don't expect any huge changes to be honest.

Edit: I moved the desk around and tried a couple of positions and it seems I was able to minimize the dip at 130Hz.
Attached Thumbnails
Another DIY absorber panels build-img_20190811_143551.jpg   Another DIY absorber panels build-after.jpg   Another DIY absorber panels build-before.jpg   Another DIY absorber panels build-flame-after.jpg   Another DIY absorber panels build-flame-before.jpg  

Another DIY absorber panels build-after-spl.jpg  
Old 17th August 2019
SRS
Lives for gear

Your panels look nice. Great job. But don't underestimate the effect on the low end that substantial absorption has. Go as thick as you can without losing too much physical space. Those peaks and nulls are tough to address in a non-purpose-built room. Not sure what your ceiling looks like in the photo. A cloud will also help you out, even in the low-end if built substantial with enough mass/absorption and area to take down some more bass. You have the hard floor, soft ceiling setup. Which can be very good acoustically. Bottom-line is you simply need more bass trapping, quite likely.
Old 19th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRS View Post
Your panels look nice. Great job. But don't underestimate the effect on the low end that substantial absorption has. Go as thick as you can without losing too much physical space. Those peaks and nulls are tough to address in a non-purpose-built room. Not sure what your ceiling looks like in the photo. A cloud will also help you out, even in the low-end if built substantial with enough mass/absorption and area to take down some more bass. You have the hard floor, soft ceiling setup. Which can be very good acoustically. Bottom-line is you simply need more bass trapping, quite likely.
Thanks for the tips.

The ceiling is a brick vault so I can't just drill and hang stuff (I'm renting).

2 of the 4 corners of the room are unusable to add bass traps since there is a door in one and an built in-wall closet in the other.

I've considered adding another layer of rockwool to the panels on the corners but I'm not sure how much of an improvement that would be considering my main problem now is the geometry of the room.

I know the room it's not even close to perfect but it's now at least usable to write music (not mixing) which was my objective.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search