The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Rear wall basstraps design
Old 18th July 2019
Here for the gear

Rear wall basstraps design

Hi, dear GS.

About my living room: I need to define the rear wall basstrap shape and size asap, to allow the start of furniture build (the bookcase width, in the image below, depends on the basstrap size).

The basstraps will be covered by a fabric panels, so all the rear wall can be treated.

Here is a REW measurement without any treatment (waterfall to 500 Hz and waterfall to 20K Hz are attached).

So, my problem is to define how much space the left rear basstrap will take.

I was wondering about 8" square basstrap next to bookcase. BUT... It´s not clear if broadband (porous) basstraps will be effective to reduce the bad frequency decay found with REW...

I really appreciate any feedback.
Attached Thumbnails
Rear wall basstraps design-no-treatment-20k.jpg   Rear wall basstraps design-no-treatment-500hz.jpg  
Old 18th July 2019
Here for the gear

Worse with porous treatment!

I made a proof of concept, with 4 x 2" thick PET fiber panels (=8" deep), floor to ceiling, 60 cm (24") width, at both rear corners, like the image below (black rectangles along rear wall).

But the REW measurements got worse in 70 Hz to 150 Hz band (link to mdat file).

So, I´m even more worried about "spending" room space for rear basstrap.

Attached Thumbnails
Rear wall basstraps design-both-rear-wall-sides-500hz.jpg   Rear wall basstraps design-both-rear-wall-sides-20k.jpg  
Old 18th July 2019
Here for the gear

Thicker panels

New experiment... I added some boards and now both traps are 0.35m (14") thick.

REW didn't show me anything different... I also tried straddled rear corners.

REW measure - 14" thick (7 boards), flat and straddled

Well, my main concern now is to define the appropriated space to install a basstrap in the future.

Ok, "give as much space as possible" would be an answer, but if rear corners are not bringing any results, maybe I should not build anything big in rear corners.

I'm starting to think about the need to use tuned traps (to be positioned in the right places).

New waterfall are attached (one for flat and another for straddled).

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Rear wall basstraps design-7-board-thick-flat.jpg   Rear wall basstraps design-7-board-thick-straddled.jpg  
Old 19th July 2019
Here for the gear

Furniture influence in corners

I´d like to understand how an wooden furniture, floor to ceiling size, modifies a room corner like in this case.

The bookcase creates a kind of "wall" (a new mass element, composite by bookcase + real wall).

And, in this case, this new element does not make a corner with the rear wall:

Any idea if that region (between rear wall and bookcase) should be treated like a ordinary corner (panel straddle, superchunk, etc)?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search