The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How thick of treatments for first reflection points?
Old 7th July 2019
Gear Head

How thick of treatments for first reflection points?

What do you all recommend for thickness for first reflection point treatments assuming I will be doing separate bass trapping in the corners.

One friend suggested 2" treatments with a 2" gap off the wall. Another source said 6" treatments with a 2" gap.

My plan is to get the FRP taken care of and do some measurements before I do any bass trapping so I'd love to spend as little money on unnecessary treatment in this first go round so I can strategically do the bass treatment.

Thanks!

Last edited by colehooey; 7th July 2019 at 11:57 PM.. Reason: Missed word
Old 9th July 2019
Lives for gear
hello,

as thick as possible.
exemple : The theory says 17 cm / 6,8 " for 500 Hz.
Old 9th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by colehooey View Post
What do you all recommend for thickness for first reflection point treatments assuming I will be doing separate bass trapping in the corners.

One friend suggested 2" treatments with a 2" gap off the wall. Another source said 6" treatments with a 2" gap.

My plan is to get the FRP taken care of and do some measurements before I do any bass trapping so I'd love to spend as little money on unnecessary treatment in this first go round so I can strategically do the bass treatment.

Thanks!
7" of Safe N Sound or 8" of pink stuff. The pink stuff works out to be the cheapest!
Old 9th July 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinococcus View Post
hello,

as thick as possible.
exemple : The theory says 17 cm / 6,8 " for 500 Hz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
7" of Safe N Sound or 8" of pink stuff. The pink stuff works out to be the cheapest!
Thanks to both of you for the help! Is the idea "just go as low as possible"?
Old 9th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks to both of you for the help! Is the idea "just go as low as possible"?
I gave specific thicknesses AND types of material use for the most economical. You go thicker you are buying more insulation. I thought youu wanted lowest cost fully effective.
Old 9th July 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
I gave specific thicknesses AND types of material use for the most economical. You go thicker you are buying more insulation. I thought youu wanted lowest cost fully effective.
Ya I definitely do, I guess maybe what I'm asking is how did you come to that specific recommendation? Just trying to understand the thought and theory that brought you there.
Old 9th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ya I definitely do, I guess maybe what I'm asking is how did you come to that specific recommendation? Just trying to understand the thought and theory that brought you there.
Minimum effectve frequency 500 Hz (~6"). Use of construction market material (cheaper than HVAC etc market material). Analyzing acoustic resistances results in the recommendations.
Old 9th July 2019
Lives for gear

Nobody ever seems to believe the answer to this question when they ask it... I’ve seen this same dynamic a dozen times here at least on GS

Why is that?
Old 9th July 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Nobody ever seems to believe the answer to this question when they ask it... I’ve seen this same dynamic a dozen times here at least on GS

Why is that?
I didn’t not believe him, I just wanted to understand why 500 hz is the lowest to be concerned with. Why not higher? Why not lower?
Old 10th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I didn’t not believe him, I just wanted to understand why 500 hz is the lowest to be concerned with. Why not higher? Why not lower?
You did not ask that. 500 Hz is the low frequency limit for reflection control in EBU 3276 etc.

I have overlooked a key point. Measure your room before you start. REW is free and decent measurement mics under $70.

Offhand I envision 3-4 2'x4' absorbers. Use Sketchup {free} or some other program to do ray tracing. The goal is no reflections for 15 ms after the initial sound.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EBU tech 3276.pdf (53.3 KB, 14 views)
Old 10th July 2019
Lives for gear
Depends on room design as well.

No every room designs need absorption here.

You can calculate comb filtering effect (and/or measure it as well) and apply a proper treatment. It will be lower than 500hz though.

The thicker the better. The lower the better. You can go very low using the right material and right thickness.
Old 10th July 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
You did not ask that. 500 Hz is the low frequency limit for reflection control in EBU 3276 etc.

I have overlooked a key point. Measure your room before you start. REW is free and decent measurement mics under $70.

Offhand I envision 3-4 2'x4' absorbers. Use Sketchup {free} or some other program to do ray tracing. The goal is no reflections for 15 ms after the initial sound.
Sorry, I wasn’t clear, but that’s very helpful. I’ll measure stuff, treat FRP, and see what else I need to do from there.
Old 10th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry, I wasn’t clear, but that’s very helpful. I’ll measure stuff, treat FRP, and see what else I need to do from there.
Sounds good. Keep us updated!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search